Am I The Only One Who Didn't Had A "wow" Moment With Nootropics?

I've tried Piracetam (4.8g a day), Aniracetam (1.5g a day), Noopept (30mg a day) and Sunifiram. (I also tried alpha brain but it is not a real nootropic).

I tried them all with / without choline (alpha GPC), different manufacturers, with / without food.

NOTHING.

Aniracetam was the only thing that made me feel something... a little bit of focus and it wasn't for long either.

Am I the only one that doesn't feel what everyone else are talking about?

Will try modafinil soon, hope to feel something different.

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

A lot of us go into this whole Nootropic thing expecting miraculous changes. I haven't taken anything that's really made me say "wow". I've had some experiences on certain stacks that have led to noticeable improvements in focus and productivity, but nothing that's made me feel superhuman, either. Everyone's different, so it's only natural that everyone should react differently. Some people take certain noots and claim to feel immediate, massive changes. Others seem to be non-responders. Those who do respond to the drugs in a really significant way may just be feeling placebo.

It's better to go into this with measured expectations. Nothing available today is going to make you "Limitless". Subtle boosts are about the best you can expect. Anyone who says otherwise is probably exaggerating. And depending on your personal chemistry and the stack you're on, it may take some time and experimentation before you really feel anything. Experiment with doses to find your own personal sweet spot.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• You also have to put in the work.  That is a cold fact that many people are not interested in coming to terms with.  Taking a pill is easy, but learning a new language, mastering an instrument, or studying a new subject is hard.   The former will make the latter easier, but it is the latter than produces gains.

• edited June 2015

You also have to put in the work.  That is a cold fact that many people are not interested in coming to terms with.  Taking a pill is easy, but learning a new language, mastering an instrument, or studying a new subject is hard.   The former will make the latter easier, but it is the latter than produces gains.

Second this.  All of my wow moments came when I was studying hard (to me) math or science.  I've always studied math to get natural wow moments, but when I notice how deeply I'm focusing on a subject it's a very cool feeling.  (also, I've never used Modafinil)  I've gotten wow moments just from caffeine and theanine.

Nootropics are the sparks.  You still need to provide the pilot light.

• genao87genao87 ✭✭
    edited June 2015

You also have to put in the work.  That is a cold fact that many people are not interested in coming to terms with.  Taking a pill is easy, but learning a new language, mastering an instrument, or studying a new subject is hard.   The former will make the latter easier, but it is the latter than produces gains.

Well Nootropics is what we expected to make the Latter  easier but it only does so a TINY bit!    That is the conclusion I came too. ...Yeah I know everyone's different...but it is not even a MILD push......that is the sole purpose to make "work" easier and its not even close.

I haven't given up on them...still possibly looking for that stack formula that can make me learn things much faster and simpler.....I never expected Einstein level...but just a good enough push to make me stand out from the crowd somewhat....never did happen.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

There are no miracles, no shortcuts. Nootropics may give you an edge, but it's all useless without putting in the same hard work you would otherwise.

• I had a wow moment the first time i used Modafinil. Felt like i was on speed or something ridiculous. My body was flooded with incredible energy and i enjoyed every second of it. Every time since I've taken it i feel none of the positives, only the weirdest, most uncomfortable headache and that's it. 

I enjoy the positive cognitive boost from Ciltep, other than that I've not felt any difference in things like Piracetam. 

Coffee though, that never fails.

• edited July 2015

1) Consider if you spent $3,000 overhauling your car's engine. Then you got behind the wheel and just sat there. Just sat there. Then you concluded that it didn't work. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT MOST PEOPLE NEW TO NOOTROPICS DO.

Nootropics upgrade you, but YOU have to put the peddle down to notice it or experience it. Don't expect taking it and then hanging out with some friends is going to yield anything amazing.

2) Nootropics are extremely dependent on micro-nutrient deficiences and HOW YOU TAKE IT. Most people who aren't responding have other issues they need to work out, or they are taking it wrong.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.
  • sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

1) Consider if you spent $3,000 overhauling your car's engine. Then you got behind the wheel and just sat there. Just sat there. Then you concluded that it didn't work. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT MOST PEOPLE NEW TO NOOTROPICS DO.

Nootropics upgrade you, but YOU have to put the peddle down to notice it or experience it. Don't expect taking it and then hanging out with some friends is going to yield anything amazing.

I think this analogy could be fleshed out a little bit. That $3,000 engine overhaul will sound differently, rev differently, give different diagnostic readings, look differently. You will know it is not the same engine (unless you overhauled an already high performance sports car). What it will also do is hi-light those squashy shocks, old tires and worn out brakes. Basically:

1. The scenario of 'overhauling the sports car engine'. The improvements were not readily noticeable unless put into a demanding situation. Even then, the effects may be considered placebo without further testing. A very subtle knife's edge.

2. Hi-lighting the other underlying issues (shocks, tires, brakes needing replacement) as in your second point:

2) Nootropics are extremely dependent on micro-nutrient deficiences and HOW YOU TAKE IT. Most people who aren't responding have other issues they need to work out, or they are taking it wrong.

3. The very obvious 'just overhauled an engine' feeling. This comes with dosing powerful nootropics (or high doses in my case) that have an obvious physiological effect. Modafinil, Alpha-GPC megadosing, kratom megadosing, Smart Caffeine. These show the 'just dropped a new $3k engine in the car' feeling and resulting performance boost right away in some cases. 

I've been a non-responder to most nootropics I have tried at the manufacturer's recommended dosage, and needed far higher doses to get anything out of them. I am also having to balance those against environmental contaminants, broken circadian rhythm and other stressors. In my opinion the use of nootropics before your baseline is at a high level is an exercise in futility, and will result in all your noots making you feel what should be your 'normal' or baseline in the first place. 

• I think this analogy could be fleshed out a little bit. That $3,000 engine overhaul will sound differently, rev differently, give different diagnostic readings, look differently. You will know it is not the same engine (unless you overhauled an already high performance sports car). What it will also do is hi-light those squashy shocks, old tires and worn out brakes. Basically:

1. The scenario of 'overhauling the sports car engine'. The improvements were not readily noticeable unless put into a demanding situation. Even then, the effects may be considered placebo without further testing. A very subtle knife's edge.

2. Hi-lighting the other underlying issues (shocks, tires, brakes needing replacement) as in your second point:

3. The very obvious 'just overhauled an engine' feeling. This comes with dosing powerful nootropics (or high doses in my case) that have an obvious physiological effect. Modafinil, Alpha-GPC megadosing, kratom megadosing, Smart Caffeine. These show the 'just dropped a new $3k engine in the car' feeling and resulting performance boost right away in some cases. 

I've been a non-responder to most nootropics I have tried at the manufacturer's recommended dosage, and needed far higher doses to get anything out of them. I am also having to balance those against environmental contaminants, broken circadian rhythm and other stressors. In my opinion the use of nootropics before your baseline is at a high level is an exercise in futility, and will reesult in all your noots making you feel what should be your 'normal' or baseline in the first place. 

An excellent expansion. I recall my uncle rebuilding his 77' corvette. When we were done, the engine was so massive we couldn't get the hood on the car. Over 800 Horsepower. First thing after we get it onto the drag track and drop the clutch... the drive train explodes.

Sometimes nootropics tell you more about what you're doing wrong than anything. But in most cases, it's not as easy to diagnose. I like your point about having a high baseline first. Since it is hard to diagnose specific micro-nutrient deficiences or other problems, it's often better off to just fix all of them in advance. Eat a diet extremely high in all vitamins and minerals before even doing nootropics. Get good sleep. Etc. etc.

Exceptions would probably only be for things like bulletproof coffee which seems to work for everyone. Amusingly, an extremely nutrient dense diet also has a nootropic effect. So it's better than it sounds.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.
  • Anyone try Ciltep?

• Anyone try Ciltep?

I did a 63-day trial between 2015-01-28 and 2015-03-31. Out of these 30 days I took 3 capsules of CILTEP first thing after wake-up, and the remaining 33 days I took just 500 mg ALCAR (cycling 2-3-4 days on CILTEP, 2-3 days on ALCAR.

Practically I only noticed it working the first few times I took it, I got the impression of getting more done then usually (but not dramatically, although noticeably). Later I thought it doesn't make a difference at all, so in April I stopped taking it.

Maybe I got tolerance to it really fast, or I have some other underlying issues which prevent me from taking full advantage of it. The difference in the first few days was really subtle, and not possible to rule out it was placebo, and I got more done, because I really wanted CILTEP to work for me. Now I don't really believe CILTEP works, but I will try it again in a few months when I get my iodine levels up. 

There is no evidence that stacking forskolin and luteolin actually increases cAMP (cyclic adenosine monophosphate) levels in a real brain of a human, which is the theory behind CILTEP. Maybe they are poorly absorbed in my body, and the people for whom it works, have something, or do something which makes them more bio available. 

I decided to try CILTEP after reading this:

http://paulserra.com/2014/02/15/how-ciltep-smart-caffeine-completely-changed-my-life/

"now the amount of work I get done in 8 or 9 hours, is what i would have gotten done in two weeks pre-CILTEP days".

Unfortunately it didn't work like that for me. Maybe there is some missing piece of the puzzle which could be discovered by meticulously comparing responders with non-responders.

• Modafinil is the closest thing I have had to a "wow" drug and even with this its not an effect of euphoria or super heightened sensitivities, in fact when its working you may not even notice. The results are noticed when you see what you have accomplished while on it. This is the true beauty of it, it has non of the wired effects just gives you the ability to operate at the best level you can for an extended period of time. Other nootropics have not had any desired effect for me and different people respond in different ways.

Try but don't expect the "limitless effect", some can be really life changing but when they are working correctly you shouldn't even really notice the drug just the productivity.

• GhastlyPrezGhastlyPrez Ghastly Prezence

What kind of "wow" effect are you looking for? Because I will tell you right now most nootropics don't just jump up and "hit you" with a wowing/dazzling effect. Most of the nootropics that people utilize are very subtle and take extended use to get the results most people are seeking.

I can say that I have experienced some energetic uplifting effects from stacking some of the more potent nootropics together (Tianeptine, Adrafinil, Oxiracetam and Sunifiram). For a little while there I had been making stacks to sample to my  friends and a lot of them felt the same buzzing energy. If yall give me a little time I can revisit with them and make sure I have the dosing amount right and get some sample packs lined up for a few people here on BPE. :)

• I have experience profound results I never thought possible with Nootropics. See my other post for details

UserNumberNine