Grassfed Meat On-Line

This applies to Americans, and preferably those on the east coast. Where is the best and cheapest place to order grassfed meat?

Thanks

Comments

• I had a great experience with Aldersprings Ranch, as recommended by Dave.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/grass-fed-meat-part-1/

I ordered the sampler pack and so far I'm impressed.
  • That place is expensive as hell, who can afford that? I think the way to do it is to buy 1/2 cow somewhere if you live in the suburbs and have a large freezer. I get grass fed ground beef at trader joes for 6 bucks a pound. But grass fed steaks are like steakhouse prices. It's insane if you don't buy in bulk.
  • Aldersprings is mad expensive, what about this site?

http://vermontgrassfedbeef.com/
  • Living out on the West Coast there are a ton of Grass Fed Beef ranches in California. I'm lucky enough to have about 3 by me. The best is Hearst Ranch Beef. It's not that expensive if you order and they ship anywhere in the US.

Check out these websites.

http://www.hearstranch.com/

http://www.enjoygrassfedbeef.com/Products.html
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    What's the cheapest you can get all said and done per lbs?

Trader Joe's has 100% Grass Fed beef from New Zeland for 6.50 lbs Ground Beef

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• I wasn't able to find any grass-fed beef at Trader Joe's. The packages all say their meat is free of antibiotics and hormones, but I couldn't find anything that said grass-fed. I found some grass-fed ground beef at Whole foods, but it was about $9/lb and that is expensive! I also have a Fairway near me, but haven't looked yet. Think I'll be able to find it there? Ordering in bulk and freezing won't work for me because I don't have an extra freezer.
  • Seems you might be living in NYC judging by the stores. I am going to order from http://vermontgrassfedbeef.com/ next week which is the best prices I have seen, I live on 14th street. If by chance you live near and wanna split the costs of shipping, lmk
  • Close, I'm on Long Island. Thanks though.
  • I'm in NYC and just bought grass fed beef today from the farmers market. If you buy more than 4 one pound packages of ground beef it is 5 bucks a pound. I also got a big brisket I'll cook up this week.
  • 'Jblock' wrote:

Aldersprings is mad expensive, what about this site?

http://vermontgrassfedbeef.com/

I just received my first shipment from this farm. Tastes Fantastic - Great product, Fair price, No problems. I ended up with a little less than I ordered due to availability, but that's ok. I understand that it is a small business.
  • 'Kim' wrote:

I wasn't able to find any grass-fed beef at Trader Joe's. The packages all say their meat is free of antibiotics and hormones, but I couldn't find anything that said grass-fed. I found some grass-fed ground beef at Whole foods, but it was about $9/lb and that is expensive! I also have a Fairway near me, but haven't looked yet. Think I'll be able to find it there? Ordering in bulk and freezing won't work for me because I don't have an extra freezer.

For Trader Joes, you won't find the New Zealand beef in the section where the rest of the meats are, it's frozen and will be in the area where they have frozen fish. It's kinda hard to find in my Trader Joes, but I've found it at several in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Trader Joes in my experience are very much the same everywhere, so I bet they have it. I tried the grass-fed New Zealand strip stake and it's quite good, it had a long strip of fat on it and when cooked that added a lot of juiciness to the flavor.
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    I have to check out our farmers market, 5$ /lbs is great and 3/4$ is ideal. The meat at Trader Joe's was not in the frozen section for me. It was next to the regular packages meats/beef/chicken/fish etc... Call around your local trader joes.

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• I recently ordered a quarter of a steer from a place out in PA called Clover Spring Farm. The guy was super helpful and the price is pretty damn good. He even told me that although the cows arent given any antibiotics, there is one steer(a baby) that was given antiboitics for a week. That cow is a couple years from slaughter and there shuld be no antiboitics present but he felt it fair to let the consumer know. Its a small operation so I think they cant afford to lose a cow. The final product weight should come to between $3.60 and $4 per lb. The full cow order was just completed so it will be slaughtered and butchered this week. When I get it (within a month or so) Ill let you know how it tastes! All grass-fed and finished of course.
  • I live on LI too and buy my grass fed stuff from Whole Foods, I bought a 1.4 lb steak for ~$30.00 last week, so yes it is expensive.

Fairway market advertises that they have grass fed, but when I went there it was "organic" ... I try to go for 100% grass fed (not finished on grain) so I buy the Welfare Rating:5 from Whole Foods, the new zealand stuff is 4..plus it must come from so far away?

I am likely going to buy elk burgers from elk usa ... i'll buy about $150.00 worth and just put one in the refrigerator every night to cook the next night.
  • 'gramercy' wrote:

I'm in NYC and just bought grass fed beef today from the farmers market. If you buy more than 4 one pound packages of ground beef it is 5 bucks a pound. I also got a big brisket I'll cook up this week.

USQ farmer's market? Which booth and what days? It is always around the same as wholefoods
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    edited December 2012

I live on LI too and buy my grass fed stuff from Whole Foods, I bought a 1.4 lb steak for ~$30.00 last week, so yes it is expensive.

Fairway market advertises that they have grass fed, but when I went there it was "organic" ... I try to go for 100% grass fed (not finished on grain) so I buy the Welfare Rating:5 from Whole Foods, the new zealand stuff is 4..plus it must come from so far away?

I am likely going to buy elk burgers from elk usa ... i'll buy about $150.00 worth and just put one in the refrigerator every night to cook the next night.

Eeeek!! I was doing the same thing when I first started. Goal is $3-4/lbs. Eat more ground beef than steak, if you do, get fatty chuck cuts, not the higher lean portions that cost 20-30 a slab! It's backwards to pay more for leaner cuts.

The best i found here in so cal with out ordering a cow myself is 5$/lbs 80/20 ground beef, grass fed and finished from a ranch that's 2 hours away but has a local store in my city.

• This is good but recently I had purchase meat via online from The Meatman. The quality and service are very good.

• They might not be the cheapest but probably pretty close to it for online grass fed suppliers, and their quality is top notch.  grasslandbeef.com (their business name is US Wellness Meats) has a ton of 100% grass fed and finished beef and lamb (steaks and plenty of organ meats).  Better yet they probably have the cheapest beef tallow (fat) and lamb tallow anywhere online.

If you're able to find one of their 15% coupons, their 75% lean ground beef goes from $7.95 to $6.76/ lb (best tasting ground beef I've ever had).  They also have promising beef bone broths, Paleo approved sausages, bacon, hot dogs, jerky..

• They might not be the cheapest but probably pretty close to it for online grass fed suppliers, and their quality is top notch.  grasslandbeef.com (their business name is US Wellness Meats) has a ton of 100% grass fed and finished beef and lamb (steaks and plenty of organ meats).  Better yet they probably have the cheapest beef tallow (fat) and lamb tallow anywhere online.

If you're able to find one of their 15% coupons, their 75% lean ground beef goes from $7.95 to $6.76/ lb (best tasting ground beef I've ever had).  They also have promising beef bone broths, Paleo approved sausages, bacon, hot dogs, jerky..

I've ordered from them a few times. They give discounts for quantity poundage.  25+ lbs the price drops and for every 40 lb increment, they knock off $20, so if you order in bulk or know someone who will split an order with you, you can knock the price per lb down some. Their service/shipping is good too.

I am intrigued by their bone broths - might have to give that a try.