Our Brain Is Our Advantage

I haven't posted in a while, but wanted to share something on my mind.  I've been reading the book "Sapiens" by Yuval Harari (it was highly recommended to me several times), and keep coming across interesting tidbits that I think would interest most biohackers.  

The single biggest biological difference between humans and other animals is that we use an extraordinary amount of energy to fuel our brains.  The brain is 2-3% of our body weight, but uses 25% of our energy at rest.  If this is the only true advantage that we have, I see it as our obligation to take exquisite care of this precious organ.  The more I focus my biohacking efforts on "Brain Hacking", the better results I seem to get in all areas of life.  

Best,

-Gabe

Comments

• Hi Gabe,

I am in complete agreement and this focus on improving my brain function has spilled over into improving other areas of my life. I've just started listening to the audio download of "Sapiens" myself.

The only thing I might add about this precious organ is that it may be helpful to think of it as a much larger brain system as described by Peter Greenlaw:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Third-Brain-Revolutionary-Conversation/dp/098827714X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442140230&sr=8-1&keywords=your+third+brain

I haven't yet read this book but from listening to lectures he talks about 3 brains: the actual one in your head, the one in your gut, and a recently discovered one referred to as the “microbiome.” I'm sure the Heart Math institute would add the heart brain as a fourth brain.

What is interesting is the possibility that the head brain may not be the king of all these other brains - so to speak.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn12301-man-with-tiny-brain-shocks-doctors/

• I would agree with that.  emWave training definitely did (and continues to do) me some real good.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

On TV the had a documentary just recently about the gut and the brain and how science starts to realize that people with all kinds of neurodegenerative diseases have gut problems long before their (example) Alzheimer's even starts. Will probably become a new tool for diagnostics.

Loaded that audiobook too and will look into the other as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

On TV the had a documentary just recently about the gut and the brain and how science starts to realize that people with all kinds of neurodegenerative diseases have gut problems long before their (example) Alzheimer's even starts.

Interesting stuff. I read something about this too, recently. Makes me wonder if fixing the gut (early in life) is the key to avoiding stuff like Alzheimer's and Dementia.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• As someone who likes to ask why, this is an old post I made about "Zonulin" proteins.  Our biology is elegantly complex, so I'm sure these proteins are not the whole explanation, but they may be part of the bigger picture of how gut and brain health are related.  Personally, I want my Zonulins closed so there is no extra garbage having access to my brain.  

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/5800-wheat-brain-and-zonulin-expression/?hl=gabe