Raw Honey For Sleep Testimonial

Hi everyone! After hearing Dave Aspery talk about eating a tablespoon of raw honey 15 minutes before going to sleep on one of his recent podcasts (I think it was the one with Daniel Pardi), I decided to try it out for myself.

The first night I followed the instructions exactly. Tablespoon of raw honey, 15 minutes before bed. That night I had vivid memorable dreams. I am a person who occasionally has dreams that I remember, but almost every single night I don't remember my dreams, or seemingly even have dreams. At least I'm not aware of my dreams most nights.

The next night. No honey, no dreams.

The next night. Honey 15 minutes before bed, vivid memorable dreams.

Night 4. Honey two hours before bed. No dreams

Night 5. Honey an hour and a half before bed. No dreams.

Night 6. Honey right before my head hit the pillow to go to sleep. Vivid memorable dreams.

Needless to say this has been a revalation to me. I can control whether I have dreams or not! At least ones that I am aware of and remember.

I am not sure how healthy this is, I know there is a lot of talk about high blood sugar causing oxidative stress. I know it is probably not a good idea for people with diabetes. But, There is a lot about honey I don't know and a lot about the body I don't know so I am open to this being a healthy thing.

I also feel more rested and rejuvinated when I wake up in the morning which is an awesome thing.

I just figured I would share this with you guys since Dave is the one who gave me the idea.

Thank you Dave!

- Cbizzle

Tagged:

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    Was the more rested & rejuvinated feeling in the mornings just following the nights you dreamt,

or following all 'honey' nights

fake it till you make it

• Was the more rested & rejuvinated feeling in the mornings just following the nights you dreamt,

or following all 'honey' nights

I think it is the nights that I dream. The dreams make the nights feel like a more complete sleep experience. And when I wake up it feels more like the end of something and the begining of something new. It's psychologically beneficial at least. I not an expert in this though i've only been experimenting with the honey for about a week, so with more time i'll have more data to draw upon.

• I live for honey nights. 

• Honey + MCT even better

• I've been playing around with raw Honey and MCT's before bed. I've noticed no difference. if take Honey, Honey and MCT, or nothing.  My sleep is the same.

Kinda lame =( 

• I've been playing around with raw Honey and MCT's before bed. I've noticed no difference. if take Honey, Honey and MCT, or nothing.  My sleep is the same.

Kinda lame =( 

There are a ton of variables to consider. But one variable is the amount of honey. Last night i took less than half a tablespoon of honey right before bed and it didnt have the dream effect. Also the quality of the honey, try to get quality raw honey. That is what Dave reccomends and what has been working for me.

• edited April 2015

Alright i'll have to try to get a higher quality. The Honey I've been using has just been some raw honey in a plastic bear bottle. I found on a shelf. Do you have any brands you recommend?

When I take it its 1Tbs honey and 1Tbs MCT. 

• Alright i'll have to try to get a higher quality. The Honey I've been using has just been some raw honey in a plastic bear bottle. I found on a shelf. Do you have any brands you recommend?

When I take it its 1Tbs honey and 1Tbs MCT. 

Before you run out and buy more honey, try upping the amount to 1 1/2 Tablespoons of honey. Dave did say in the interview that some people need a little more. For me the sweet spot is 1 solid tablespoon. Even last night I did it and had vivid dreams with locations and situations that i can remember even now. Also the timing is important like I said at the top of this post. 10 - 15 minutes before bed or right before bed.

• One possible downside - my n=1 testing shows that honey before bed effectively blocks ketone production for most of the night. The result is rapid weight gain and water retention. 

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• One possible downside - my n=1 testing shows that honey before bed effectively blocks ketone production for most of the night. The result is rapid weight gain and water retention. 

Makes sense. The bulletproof diet isn't 100% ketogenic though, according to the book at least.

We're all biologically individual. honey dosen't produce rapid weight gain for me, but for some it might so stick to what is best for you.

I wonder how often Dave uses honey.

• If I gain even a single pound via water retention from something I did, it's not worth doing. Because my weight is normally so consistent, I personally consider a single pound rapid weight gain. 

Makes sense. The bulletproof diet isn't 100% ketogenic though, according to the book at least.

We're all biologically individual. honey dosen't produce rapid weight gain for me, but for some it might so stick to what is best for you.

I wonder how often Dave uses honey.

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

If I gain even a single pound via water retention from something I did, it's not worth doing. Because my weight is normally so consistent, I personally consider a single pound rapid weight gain. 

Really? Do you refeed? And for you this applies to honey even though it is known to be stored preferentially as glycogen, and each gram of glycogen has 2-3g water stored with it?

My thinking here is if I really am "metabolically flexible" I should be able to run on fat even if I have plenty of stored glycogen, which I'd also like to have so I can workout effectively. And any overnight weight gain is either glycogen, inflammation, or literally starchy crap in the GI tract, so barring an allergy, the honey is clearly going to glycogen if it's causing weight gain. 

• Last night I increased the amount of honey to 1 1/2 table spoon. I slept like a rock! hitting that 100% with the sleep cycle app. I'll have to keep doing this to see if it was just a one time experiance. My dreams did seem a bit more vivid as well.

Kinda lame seeing how I dreamt I was at work, working. (better luck next time I guess) 

Thanks for the tip.

• How often does Dave suggest taking the honey with the MCT oil? And has anybody tried using the sleep mat? 

• Last night I increased the amount of honey to 1 1/2 table spoon. I slept like a rock! hitting that 100% with the sleep cycle app. I'll have to keep doing this to see if it was just a one time experiance. My dreams did seem a bit more vivid as well.

Kinda lame seeing how I dreamt I was at work, working. (better luck next time I guess) 

Thanks for the tip.

That is awesome. It would be cool to see a log of your results.

I'm thinking about starting a thread called "Dream Hacking" about ways to improve the quality of you dreams. I might do that soon.

• How often does Dave suggest taking the honey with the MCT oil? And has anybody tried using the sleep mat? 

No idea.

No, It sounds intriguing though. Why not start a new thread asking for feedback?

• Honey seemed to work for me too. MCT oil before bed I did not like. Although I felt physically tired, my mind was racing and I couldn't stop thinking about things. Slept like crap that night. My wife purchased the sleep mat for me and I love it. Took some getting used to, but it puts me right to sleep now. I usually have to remove the mat after an hour or so because I tend to roll onto my side once asleep, but for getting me to sleep it works great.

• Very interesting thread, I'm no doubt going to pick up some Raw Honey on the way home from the office tonight. Pure Nootropics has been working to compile a comprehensive guide on lucid dreaming along with many other topics. Please help us by leaving a comment on post so we can further develop the guide. I will very soon be including the honey tip in the guide. Any extra information or tips in properly using the tip, please leave a comment. Thank you BP community!!!

https://www.purenootropics.net/your-guide-to-lucid-dreaming-hack-your-dreams/

Check out Pure Nootropics for high quality nootropics that have been third party tested. All order come with 30 day money back guarantee. 10% Discount for Bulletproof Members with coupon code "bulletproof10".

• edited April 2015

It's not unusual for MCT to have this effect on people. It's a burst of energy. Why it doesn't happen to everyone, I don't know.

If I do cardio after having MCT I get nauseous.

Honey seemed to work for me too. MCT oil before bed I did not like. Although I felt physically tired, my mind was racing and I couldn't stop thinking about things. Slept like crap that night. My wife purchased the sleep mat for me and I love it. Took some getting used to, but it puts me right to sleep now. I usually have to remove the mat after an hour or so because I tend to roll onto my side once asleep, but for getting me to sleep it works great.

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• I have been trying raw honey before bed for about a week now. I have notice I seem to fall asleep faster. The dreams seem a bit more vivid and lengthy. I added our Alpha GPC Choline complex to the mix before bed and had a euphoric feeling right before I dosed off. I'm really liking the honey, but I am looking to add more to the mix to maximize my lucid dream frequency. Any suggestions?

Check out Pure Nootropics for high quality nootropics that have been third party tested. All order come with 30 day money back guarantee. 10% Discount for Bulletproof Members with coupon code "bulletproof10".

• I had some interesting dream experiences with resistant starch, but it was kind of hit or miss.

Traveling and sleeping in unfamiliar places has helped with dreaming and becoming lucid.

...and there's always thc cessation.
  • I'm absolutely loving the idea of the effects of raw honey on sleep. However, since I am dropping weight, I don't believe (or even know for that matter) if consuming raw honey will be optimal for my fat loss goals, disrupting my Bulletproof Intermittent Fast. Are there any other viable suggestions for sleep hackage without blocking the ketosis affect or possibly causing water retention? I appreciate it.
  • I tried  This yesterday  night and was awake till 3 in the morning  disrupting my  disturbed but regular sleep . What did I do wrong ?

• anybody try using highly branched cyclic dextrin (HBCD) instead of honey?  I saw its uses in the workout threads and sounds like a possible substitute for honey in hacking sleep.  (think I'm slightly allergic to honey)

• I tried  This yesterday  night and was awake till 3 in the morning  disrupting my  disturbed but regular sleep . What did I do wrong ?

You haven't given us almost any information to go off. Keep experimenting, there are hundreds of possible factors.

Do you like writing about BioHacking or advanced health techniques? My website is looking for guest-post authors, contact me!

• I tried the tablespoon of honey before bed last night.  It worked really well...best sleep I've had in months.  I normally wake up several times during the night and stay awake for awhile each time.  I woke up once for a minute, wondered what time it was, decided not to care, went back to sleep immediately, woke feeling refreshed.  I didn't remember my dreams, though...maybe tonight!  I'm a musician, and when I lie down to sleep at night the music won't leave my head - I see the notes going by.  I have a bad habit of not being able to turn that off without background voices from my laptop to distract me.  So falling asleep so quickly without that, and sleeping so well, is a big deal for me.