Worsening Memory, Concentration And Inability To Retain Information

For the last few months I have been suffering from worsening memory, concentration and an inability to comprehend and retain information. Initially I did have 'brain fog' but now it just feels like I can no longer think at all without real effort.

For a bit of a back story I am 25 years old, have been eating paleo for a few years and drinking bulletproof for 2 years. I have always been a healthy and active person. I stopped taking the contraceptive pill in order to achieve better health and since then (almost 2 years) have not had a period. Blood tests have shown that my estorgen and progesterone levels are very low (I am essentially in menopause). I was found to have a parasite (blastocystis) which my doctor thought could be the cause of the cognitive difficulties and low hormones. I took a course of antibiotics which got rid of the parasite however my cognitive difficulties are ongoing and slowly getting worse. I have had an MRI scan and spect scan done of my brain which came back normal.

I also found the other day when I was cleaning my shower that there was mold in my shower drain. Could that possibly be the cause of my problems? I am unsure if such a small amount would be having such an effect.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• How is your sleep?

The body repairs cells and everything else while sleeping and effectively cleans its memory.  

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    Have you restored your gut after taking antibiotics?

Check what deficiencies your gut Bug can cause. I had One Once an i did get B12 and Copper deficiencies.

Also do you take iodine? Even though i eat Fish and Himalaya salt Daily i have Low iodine. I started eating seaweed. Makes a difference in focus and attention span. And my eyes are completely white again.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• It's possible that since you had a parasite, it created a co-infection of yeast overgrowth. The gut micro biome exerts the most powerful effect on brain function that i've ever seen. Yeast can throw hormones out of whack as well. The antibiotics wiped out the parasite but in theory could have allowed the yeast to become even more opportunistic.

Simply speculation based on the bits of information provided but something to look into. You'll get 'er champ, and props on your efforts so far.

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• Thanks for your replies!

Phil_G - My sleep has been fine actually!

DMan - I have been trying to restore my gut with drinking bone broth, taking probiotics (garden of life primal defence and jarrows formula saccharomyces boulardii) and eating fermented foods daily. I have had some tests which so far have shown my gut is functioning ok. My B12 was a bit low and my doctor gave me a B12 shot which did seem to help for a few days but then the brain fog took over again.

I don't take iodine so that is definitely something I will look into. Is there a specific supplement you can take or can you get enough to just by eating seaweed?

Star chaser presents - it definitely seems possible that it is all related to my gut functioning and that is what my practitioner has been testing. Is there any way to test for yeast overgrowth?
  • DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    Algae contain a lot of iodine... More than recommenddd Daily intakte for supplements. Look into the Blog post on supplements.

You might be able to Test for Some yeast infections via still sample. However i had Some Problem with drinking Kefir and John brisson told me it is a yeast Problem which is hard to test. All we could See was high sIGA and acidic stomach pH...

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Did you get your thyroid checked? Did you retest to make sure the blasto was gone? Second the idea of rebuilding gut with probiotics and prebiotics.

• I'm pretty sure metametrix tests for yeast.

Also check out Dave s article on histamine and fermented foods to see if that might apply to you

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/why-yogurt-and-probiotics-make-you-fat-and-foggy/

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• You should find an anti aging Doctor who can replace your hormones to normal levels for optimal health.

Also you should really stop taking antibiotics as soon as possible whilst taking a strong probiotic (VSL#3 comes to mind) to replace what the antibiotics took away.

Get an ERMI test to determine if there is toxic mold in your house, this should run you around 300 dollars

• Thyroid is apparently fine and I re-tested for the blasto and it is gone.

No longer taking the antibiotics - it was just a course over 10 days I took and that was back in August.

Have discussed hormone replacement with the doc, but he is more concerned that my hormone levels are that low at 25 years of age. Could still be the after affect of coming off the contraceptive pill.
  • Do you track what you eat? You could be too low cal or too low carb or too low protein.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• Just some comforting thoughts (hopefully): I had the same symptoms at your age and still have them at 48 with no increase in severity so the good news is that things might just stay the same and not get progressively worse which is the big fear.  If I could go back to being 25 I would choose a profession that didn't require so much mental stamina and concentration...something to think about.  Oh, I would also absolutely stay away from alcohol and drugs, although I wasn't a heavy user.

A few months ago I started Modafinil and that definitely helped my concentration but it seems like the effects are wearing off which is odd since they aren't supposed to.  I'm hoping that I'm just getting weak pills but I've tried two different suppliers (although they always come from India) so who knows?  Maybe give it a try.

• Thank you for your replies.

I don't track what I eat but I never have... So it seems strange that in the just the last few months the cognitive decline I have been experiencing could be related to low cal or low protein. I usually have bulletproof coffee in the morning with 2 eggs, leftovers (meat, vegetables) and avocado for lunch and some sort of meat and vege for dinner and usually some dark chocolate (Lindt 90%).

I feel like it is progressively getting worse which is the thing which is worrying me the most! Is there one particular brand of modafinil you would recommend?
  • I don't have any brand to recommend or place to order from.  Here's some info, though: https://www.bulletproofexec.com/why-you-are-suffering-from-a-modafinil-deficiency/

Someone sent me a reddit link but of course I can't remember where I saved it!

• I would really recommending counting your calories. It's pretty common to not eat even close to enough. I started tracking my diet and realized I was commonly only eating 1200-1500 calories. For very active mid 20s man that's no where near enough. It's not necessarily to do for a long time but it's important for getting a snap shot.

• TDCAudioTDCAudio
    edited October 2015

Everything everyone has said is valuable as always!  come at it from different directions to come out better than  before

I had a similar experience and have been somewhat successful reversing it using two things.   First, as Dave has explicitly said,  I think some people really don't thrive on long term ketosis.  You might live a long time in ketosis but who wants to feel like your brain is trying to hibernate?  I made sure to eat lots of sweet potatoes and added quinoa back to my diet,  and some rice too...this seemed to help pretty quickly (within a week) so you could do a quick experiment.  A little carbs with most of my meals.  The reason this worked may be different than I am surmising, but it undeniably worked to increase my brain speed (as measured on the lumosity website)

Second was to treat the symptoms by playing with the neurotransmitters involved in memory and brain speed.  If your brain speed decreases, your ability to make lots of connections quickly so you can solve problems will falter.  Also the main factor in memory is brain speed.  So of the four main neurotransmitters you can supplement (dopamine,choline, gaba, serotonin) choline is the one associated with brain speed.  Dopamine additionally is responsible for overall brain amplitude or voltage,  so it is helpful to increase both choline and dopamine.  You need to be careful though because offsetting the balance between these exciting neurotransmitters in ratio to the calming ones can cause anxiety and the like...so take your time and ramp the doses up slowly, and if you get anxiety add some calming things in like holy basil etc

Also as you're doing these things,  start playing the games on lumosity.com.  The games themselves will stimulate the brain and also give you a way of measuring your waxing and or waning brain performance!  I did these things and feel like my memory hasn't work so well since high school.   

cheers... don't forget to breathe deep!

• TDCAudioTDCAudio
    edited October 2015

Everything everyone has said is valuable as always!  come at it from different directions to come out better than  before

I had a similar experience and have been somewhat successful reversing it using two things.   First, as Dave has explicitly said,  I think some people really don't thrive on long term ketosis.  You might live a long time in ketosis but who wants to feel like your brain is trying to hibernate?  I made sure to eat lots of sweet potatoes and added quinoa back to my diet,  and some rice too...this seemed to help pretty quickly (within a week) so you could do a quick experiment.  A little carbs with most of my meals.  The reason this worked may be different than I am surmising, but it undeniably worked to increase my brain speed (as measured on the lumosity website)

Second was to treat the symptoms by playing with the neurotransmitters involved in memory and brain speed.  If your brain speed decreases, your ability to make lots of connections quickly so you can solve problems will falter.  Also the main factor in memory is brain speed.  So of the four main neurotransmitters you can supplement (dopamine,choline, gaba, serotonin) choline is the one associated with brain speed.  Dopamine additionally is responsible for overall brain amplitude or voltage,  so it is helpful to increase both choline and dopamine.  You need to be careful though because offsetting the balance between these exciting neurotransmitters in ratio to the calming ones can cause anxiety and the like...so take your time and ramp the doses up slowly, and if you get anxiety add some calming things in like holy basil etc

Also as you're doing these things,  start playing the games on lumosity.com.  The games themselves will stimulate the brain and also give you a way of measuring your waxing and or waning brain performance!  I did these things and feel like my memory hasn't work so well since high school.   

cheers... don't forget to breathe deep!

• Also I think you could get that mold tested pretty cheap and easy so you know if it is even of a type that will cause you any health problems.  If it is a bad strain it seems like one of the factors you'd need to take into account, right?

• My friend choose high carb low fat vegan diet for this.  Plus drinks pomegranate and beet juices a lot.  I'm not a doctor so have no idea. 

• pd85pd85
    edited October 2015

The very first thing I would try is eating more carbs. You could finally be hitting a wall with your low carb diet. In my experience, NOTHING causes brain fog like a low carb diet. Initially the body can withstand it, maybe for years. It can be useful as a short-term diet for weight loss. But eventually your body will lack many of the nutrients and energy needed for proper brain function and neurotransmitter production (among many other issues). A low carb diet is not healthy in any long-term circumstance, and by itself can cause you to stop having your periods. Perhaps start eating ~100-150g of carbs per day from healthy carb sources. This cause makes logical sense for all of your circumstances. You might need to eat 150g of carbs per day for a month with plenty of sleep to recover, but I'd guess you could tell the difference in a few days. Lower your fat intake in the meantime to avoid gaining weight. 

I would highly recommend that you do NOT take a drug to counter-act this. A good metaphor would be this:

"I am getting more and more tired when I run a marathon, I run more slowly and drag my feet the whole way, how can I get less tired?" And instead of resting, recuperating, and changing your nutrition, you take a drug and keep running the marathon. That is a recipe for disaster.