Contextual Vitamin D Thoughts?

Hi Everyone,

Hope this post finds all well and healthy.

So I know this whole "how much Vitamin D?" question has been debated ad-nauseam but I'm just looking for some general thoughts within my personal/location context. To be frank, I DO need to test and optimize this but I'm just being lazy about it at the moment...

I normally just get 20 minutes to a half hour of mid-day direct sunshine on my whole body versus supplementation, but living in the Midwest, I now no longer have that option. I'd much prefer natural sunlight but my question is, without testing, what are others doing out there Vitamin D-wise who don't have access to sun during this upcoming portion of the year? Going for the upper limit of 1000 IU's per 25 lbs of weight or to be conservative going at a fraction of that but well above standard reccs... say 1000 IU's per 40-50 lbs of weight?

Comments

• D-minder is a great app for tracking vitamin d intake, both from the sun and in supplement form. It has adjustments for skin color, latitude, altitude, cloud cover, and oral supplements. It's FREE and available for both Android and Apple. I highly recommend to anyone. You should also just get tested next time you see your doctor, it's a super cheap test.
  • Unless you have an autoimmune condition, I believe the optimal range is likely much lower than has been commonly recommended by some health gurus. Somewhere between 35-50 ng/mL. This is roughly the range that Chris Kresser recommends and what has been observed in indigenous populations that get plenty of year long UV-B rich sunlight. 

Living in the midwest (Ohio?) at this time of the year you're likely wasting your time trying to obtain vitamin d from the sun. The UV-B rays won't reach the surface in any meaningful amount for several more months. Personally, I only take 1000 IU of oral vitamin D a day and obtain the rest using a cheap $14 UV-B bulb 2" from my torso for 15 minutes every other day. The results of my last two vitamin D tests were nearly identical despite being taken 8 months apart (45.2 and 45.1). 

Hi Everyone,

Hope this post finds all well and healthy.

So I know this whole "how much Vitamin D?" question has been debated ad-nauseam but I'm just looking for some general thoughts within my personal/location context. To be frank, I DO need to test and optimize this but I'm just being lazy about it at the moment...

I normally just get 20 minutes to a half hour of mid-day direct sunshine on my whole body versus supplementation, but living in the Midwest, I now no longer have that option. I'd much prefer natural sunlight but my question is, without testing, what are others doing out there Vitamin D-wise who don't have access to sun during this upcoming portion of the year? Going for the upper limit of 1000 IU's per 25 lbs of weight or to be conservative going at a fraction of that but well above standard reccs... say 1000 IU's per 40-50 lbs of weight?

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net