Adhd Struggles

I searched this board and have tried to use it to help with my ADHD issues. I'll give you some back story:

I went from being vegan to paleo about 5 years ago. In the past two years I have been focusing on a heavy fat diet and transitioned from raw paleo to bulletproof. About 9 months ago I did something stupid - I moved in with a guy who is a junk food king (hes really lovely, he just eats very crappy food). At first it was fine, he would eat whatever I cooked and then snacked on whatever he liked but slowly I caved with all sorts of foods around the house (I HAVE NO WILLPOWER). Sugar was never a problem and I tended to stay clear, and even processed foods were not much of an issue at first, but I did the unthinkable and started eating rice again... and slowly that turned into pasta. Gluten absolutely destroyed my brain within the past 9 months and I am struggling hard to get myself back afloat again.

My ADHD is out of control. Lately I have been doing very silly things such as locking myself out of the house, losing my cell phone when its in my pocket, misplacing paperwork at work (it will be on my desk in front of me) and so on. I am so hyperactive that I cannot even sit still at work and pace next to my desk. I mean, its bad, I burned down my house once in 2007 because I left a pot of hot water on the stove boiling and walked my dogs. I am starting to get back to that point so I finally cracked and went back on medication (something I never thought I would do again). They put me back on a heavy dose of adderall XR (20 mg) and adderall immediate release for later in the day (20mg). They put me on xanax (0.5 mg 3X a day) to try and keep me calm because even the adderall did not stop my extreme hyper moments, only calmed them and allowed me to focus. Now, I cant say that the medication isn't working because it definitely is but I HATE THE WAY I FEEL. I gained 30 lbs in 6 months and it isn't coming off (it actually went up by a lb this week). 

Now I know my issue is probably gluten related, and per my research its going to take months if not a year to get back to where I was, but this is where I am at currently:

I limit myself to one cup of bulletproof coffee in the morning with both brain octane oil and kerrygold (more than one cup and I am off the walls at work). My diet is heavy in wild caught fish (mainly salmon) and grass fed beef (I eat this normally very rare or even raw). My carbohydrates are normally as followed: avocado, kale, asparagus, and brussel sprouts. I will eat butternut squash or sweet potato 1-2 times a week. I will eat raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries a few times a week also. I take krill oil supplements and a hearty dose of vitamin D3 (about 10,000 iu) Magnesium, Vitamin C, B12, and folinic acid.

This has been going on for about a month now, and I see no improvement. I took myself off of most of the medication (I have been using the xanax at night some nights, maybe 4 times a week, because no matter what I do, I cant sleep). I use blackout curtains and our bedroom is pitch black. I've tried every temperature for sleeping. I tried ear plugs. I tried using apps on my phone. I haven't had issues sleeping (again, gluten, ugh) until I changed my eating habits.

I guess my question really is, what can I do to speed up this process? I feel like I can't sit by and let it run its course. I was thinking of trying nootropics again but once upon a time I tried alpha brain and by day 3 you might as well have handed me a crack pipe because I was out of control on it. (the results, they were fun but not desirable for anyone within earshot of my mouth or that had to come in any contact with me whatsoever). My parents actually sat me down because they thought I was using some type of heavy drug, that's how intense of a result I got from it. Liposomal gluathione produced little to no results that I could actually see. I just tried pycnogenol and that seems to make a little bit of an improvement BUT if I do not take it with a fatty cup of coffee it seems like it doesn't work at all. 

I think a lot of people are misdiagnosed with ADHD, and there are very few of us that actually have it. The few that do, it seems like it just takes one wrong diet move and it can really screw up our lives. I am at a loss so anyone's recommendations are welcome.

PS it took me about an hour and a half to write this because I kept forgetting what I was doing or was sidetracked by other stuff on my computer, just to try and get you to grasp how bad this is.

Comments

• OdiOdi
    edited February 2015
    Hey. I'm super-not an expert but have you tried focusing on meditation-related methods? Maybe a daily basic mindfulness-practice could help you "land" a bit. Tried the Heartmath yet btw? Also maybe calming supplements, I'm thinking for example theanine, passion flower and glycine, could be worth looking at. And furthermore do you exercise? Maybe that can help you blow some steam and feel more chill afterwards. Speculating but just in case it can give you some constructive ideas. Keep us updated how you're doing!
  • Have you looked at any of Dr Daniel Amens videos on YouTube ? He is very informative and even if you cannot afford to get a SPECT scan , on his web sight he has a questionnaire that helps you see what parts of your brain are not getting enough blood flow or perhaps are getting too much . His suggestions on supplements and treatments have changed my families lives. Dave talks a lot about his SPECT scan and there is a video of Dave Asprey and Dr Amen talking about it together. I can't remember if it's one of faves videos or Dr Amens but I'm sure you can Google it easy enough...

. Myself my wife n my daughter all have MAJOR ADD ADHD symptoms which through following the Bulletproof system and what we are learning through our treatment at the Amen clinic , we have improved leaps n bounds beyond anything we ever tried before :)

Keep on keeping on n you'll get there I promise !
  • fixerforhirefixerforhire Mr. Not Sure.
    edited February 2015

I use an electric kettle for boiling water. it's fast, efficient and I don't run the risk of forgetting about it, sometimes err, I get distracted often and put off my coffee for a half hour while i'm mid process. 

The neuroscience and biochemistry are beyond me.

One thing that jumps to mind is increase your BP starch intake, and try different ones.

too few carbohydrates and I get brain fog or low mental energy; that isn't to say I don't have bursts of manic thoughts and diarrhea of the mouth. I'm a bit annoying when I'm not balanced.

maybe play around with resistant starches.

The BP diet along with the recommended vitamins has really made a huge difference for me.

I'm wary of vitamins and supplements. maybe cycle out and reintroduce them.

I've had vitamins that did not perform the same or at all. A few had negative effects.

They say gut health can play a big role in mental health, apparently serotonin is produced there. I haven't had to trace my health concerns back that far/to that save for stopping eating foods cause discomfort.

I've seen some folks on here who seem to have a strong understanding of this stuff. 

if you were fine before and if it is what you believe about your diet messing you up; I'd look to there. (this is something I read, not here i don't think. true, anyone?)

Eating BP may correct gut issues in some people, but some people may need to target it more directly.

thats assuming there isn't something outside of your diet affecting you or both.

something that also stuck in my head is I read somewhere, maybe the Rapid fat loss thread, about the need to supplement to deal with all the awesome toxins and things your fat cells release when when you start accessing them. depending on your sensitivity and ability to clear those things can be a huge factor.

the last ketogenic diet I did was accompanied by massive brain fog. My buddy joined me on that diet, same thing. it was bad.

also... maybe play with your fat ratios. if they are high, try lowering them to 50%

perhaps even a bit lower. There may even be more bulletproof foods that arent so bulletproof for you, maybe try switching them up.

and... if you can get modafinil, it got me through hard times. use sparingly. I did 2 100mg twice a week about.

I don't use it anymore except for my occasional 8 hour drives.

• Hey. I'm super-not an expert but have you tried focusing on meditation-related methods? Maybe a daily basic mindfulness-practice could help you "land" a bit. Tried the Heartmath yet btw? Also maybe calming supplements, I'm thinking for example theanine, passion flower and glycine, could be worth looking at. And furthermore do you exercise? Maybe that can help you blow some steam and feel more chill afterwards. Speculating but just in case it can give you some constructive ideas. Keep us updated how you're doing!

Calming supplements seem like they do not work at all. I keep a daily diary on a phone app and record my hyperactivity levels and attention levels throughout the day ( I actually set my iphone alarms to remind myself to do this). I do it 5 times daily and the only supplement that seemed to calm me down was massive amounts of kava but the side effects are not worth putting it into my body (it also made me sedated but not focused). Theanine was something I tried a few years ago and I felt no difference on it. Glycine, I could definitely give a try. I will definitely read up on the passion flower also.

I exercise about 6 times a week just to blow off steam. I do a lot of kettlebell work and actually use the Focus T25 dvds out of boredom. I cant do the gym, I just get confused and walk around, I need HIIT that switches it up and constant demand. They work well. I do them out of order and just use them to get myself moving.

Have you looked at any of Dr Daniel Amens videos on YouTube ? He is very informative and even if you cannot afford to get a SPECT scan , on his web sight he has a questionnaire that helps you see what parts of your brain are not getting enough blood flow or perhaps are getting too much . His suggestions on supplements and treatments have changed my families lives. Dave talks a lot about his SPECT scan and there is a video of Dave Asprey and Dr Amen talking about it together. I can't remember if it's one of faves videos or Dr Amens but I'm sure you can Google it easy enough...

. Myself my wife n my daughter all have MAJOR ADD ADHD symptoms which through following the Bulletproof system and what we are learning through our treatment at the Amen clinic , we have improved leaps n bounds beyond anything we ever tried before :)

I love Dr. Amen. I cant afford a SPECT scan but my insurance may cover it. I have been waiting to hear back and unfortunately been jumping through "pre-authorization" loops just to see a new neurologist. My current psychiatrist suggested to do this also, its just a waiting game The closest location is in NYC (I'm in Connecticut) and that apparently is causing more issues on-top of just being an authorized test. I have an appointment March 4th so hopefully with my psychiatrist so we will see what happens then (apparently they are royally ticked off at me for quitting my meds cold turkey) . Sadly I tried quite a few of the supplements that clinic offers and the only thing I found that worked was the focus and energy optimizer but it gave me intense anxiety at the same time. I LOVE his book Healing ADD and it has helped me  A LOT. 

Thank you so much for recommending this.

I use an electric kettle for boiling water. it's fast, efficient and I don't run the risk of forgetting about it, sometimes err, I get distracted often and put off my coffee for a half hour while i'm mid process. 

The neuroscience and biochemistry are beyond me.

One thing that jumps to mind is increase your BP starch intake, and try different ones.

too few carbohydrates and I get brain fog or low mental energy; that isn't to say I don't have bursts of manic thoughts and diarrhea of the mouth. I'm a bit annoying when I'm not balanced.

maybe play around with resistant starches.

The BP diet along with the recommended vitamins has really made a huge difference for me.

I'm wary of vitamins and supplements. maybe cycle out and reintroduce them.

I've had vitamins that did not perform the same or at all. A few had negative effects.

They say gut health can play a big role in mental health, apparently serotonin is produced there. I haven't had to trace my health concerns back that far/to that save for stopping eating foods cause discomfort.

I've seen some folks on here who seem to have a strong understanding of this stuff. 

if you were fine before and if it is what you believe about your diet messing you up; I'd look to there. (this is something I read, not here i don't think. true, anyone?)

Eating BP may correct gut issues in some people, but some people may need to target it more directly.

thats assuming there isn't something outside of your diet affecting you or both.

something that also stuck in my head is I read somewhere, maybe the Rapid fat loss thread, about the need to supplement to deal with all the awesome toxins and things your fat cells release when when you start accessing them. depending on your sensitivity and ability to clear those things can be a huge factor.

the last ketogenic diet I did was accompanied by massive brain fog. My buddy joined me on that diet, same thing. it was bad.

also... maybe play with your fat ratios. if they are high, try lowering them to 50%

perhaps even a bit lower. There may even be more bulletproof foods that arent so bulletproof for you, maybe try switching them up.

and... if you can get modafinil, it got me through hard times. use sparingly. I did 2 100mg twice a week about.

I don't use it anymore except for my occasional 8 hour drives.

What would you recommend for more starch?  I eat butternut squash and sweet potato but not often. I try not and eat them that often just because I don't enjoy them that much. I would love to figure out where I can find pumpkin but other than in the fall at the farmers market, I have no idea. Someone brought up the idea of using plantain flower before but I really don't even know what I would do with it.

My fat is probably at around 60% now. I use myfitpal for dietary recording and it seems to run between 50-80 depending on the day. 

I was on provigil in the late 2000's. It tippled my anxiety and they had to stack it with Xanax and eventually Librium. It was recently suggested that I may want to try it again while stacking it with BuSpar but at this point I'm really trying to get away from a lot of the medication. I feel like a guinea pig that only has gotten worse with more meds tested on me. I understand that most biohackers jump at the chance to see if something new will work but when your brain is this broken and more than often things make it worse, it feels like playing Russian roulette. If you know of any uses or success stories with them stacked, please share.

edited February 2015

What would you recommend for more starch?  I eat butternut squash and sweet potato but not often. I try not and eat them that often just because I don't enjoy them that much. I would love to figure out where I can find pumpkin but other than in the fall at the farmers market, I have no idea. Someone brought up the idea of using plantain flower before but I really don't even know what I would do with it.

My fat is probably at around 60% now. I use myfitpal for dietary recording and it seems to run between 50-80 depending on the day. 

maybe try something from the second tier in the starches column: plantains, cassava, white rice(basmati if it is a white rice) i'll have to look into the "white rice" 

definitely try lowering the fat and increase those bp starches. keep the protein to 25% or less. 

what is your approximate daily caloric intake?

I havent personally tried to improve my gut health out of necessity so I don't have a first hand perspective on the techniques or a feel for it.

i have tried bobs red mill potato starch. I didn't have any adverse reactions. whether these resistant starches improve things or not I don't know, or if even other factors are necessary for them to work properly. it has to be mixed cold if you are going that route, i do believe.

my self experimental knowledge is lacking in this area.

gut experts? 

I wish I knew more. I feel real shaky about googling info and making recommendations if I haven't used the technique, supplement or food in question.

• Meditation school over at headspace.com might help a little bit in general. Im a work horse and I want to fix my health problems every second of the day. The problem is that sometimes we confuse motion with action. And we just end up hurting ourselves with an extra load of stress instead.

Meditation is one of those things were you can allow yourself to work as hard as you want, without the risk of hurting yourself. 

• maybe try something from the second tier in the starches column: plantains, cassava, white rice(basmati if it is a white rice) i'll have to look into the "white rice" 

definitely try lowering the fat and increase those bp starches. keep the protein to 25% or less. 

what is your approximate daily caloric intake?

I havent personally tried to improve my gut health out of necessity so I don't have a first hand perspective on the techniques or a feel for it.

i have tried bobs red mill potato starch. I didn't have any adverse reactions. whether these resistant starches improve things or not I don't know, or if even other factors are necessary for them to work properly. it has to be mixed cold if you are going that route, i do believe.

my self experimental knowledge is lacking in this area.

gut experts? 

I wish I knew more. I feel real shaky about googling info and making recommendations if I haven't used the technique, supplement or food in question.

I'm going to try the potato starch. I have to pick some up. I guess I can use it to coat my meat for a quick panfry? maybe make dumplings? or use in stew as a thickener? Im not really sure what I can do with it but I will definitely give it a try.

Meditation school over at headspace.com might help a little bit in general. Im a work horse and I want to fix my health problems every second of the day. The problem is that sometimes we confuse motion with action. And we just end up hurting ourselves with an extra load of stress instead.

Meditation is one of those things were you can allow yourself to work as hard as you want, without the risk of hurting yourself. 

Checked out the options. I will give it a try. I can say meditation isn't really something that has been an option for me in the past. I not only have trouble focusing but without using something like a float tank, meditation is near impossible. I get distracted by the slightest noises or feeling. Its almost like restless leg syndrome, but my entire body. I will definitely try it out though. 

edited February 2015

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/resistant-starch-your-questions-answered/#axzz3SsLEH0OC

seems to be good info. pick and maintain BP principles

I didnt have an issue with bobs redmill, but I remembering reading that people had varying reactions.

I added a teaspoon to tablespoon to my shake. 

also...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-definitive-guide-to-resistant-starch/#axzz3SsLEH0OC

see the RS / resistant starch type.

specifically retrograded type 3

ratios of RS to non RS should be considered.

if you're chasing resistant starch with a lot of more easily digestible starches or sugars it may be counterproductive?

• OdiOdi
    edited February 2015

Here's an idea for a meditation: sit down and immediately look at your feelings of restlessness head on, even if uncomfortable. Pinpoint them with your attention - explore how they feel in your body. See how they're just things. Perhaps just this turning towards and looking right at it can lessen it's power? Just an idea!

Checked out the options. I will give it a try. I can say meditation isn't really something that has been an option for me in the past. I not only have trouble focusing but without using something like a float tank, meditation is near impossible. I get distracted by the slightest noises or feeling. Its almost like restless leg syndrome, but my entire body. I will definitely try it out though. 

• Have you looked at any of Dr Daniel Amens videos on YouTube ? He is very informative and even if you cannot afford to get a SPECT scan , on his web sight he has a questionnaire that helps you see what parts of your brain are not getting enough blood flow or perhaps are getting too much . His suggestions on supplements and treatments have changed my families lives. Dave talks a lot about his SPECT scan and there is a video of Dave Asprey and Dr Amen talking about it together. I can't remember if it's one of faves videos or Dr Amens but I'm sure you can Google it easy enough...

In his book, Dr. Amen promotes the use of a lot of prescription drugs, like Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, and many others, just read this review:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RMN0I0IB8TINS/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=110190464X

That's not treating the root causes of brain problems, just masking the symptoms with drugs, with a lot of side effects.

I'd recommend to avoid anyone who teats neurological problems with drugs like that, and opt for methods of doctors like William Walsh instead, who rely purely on nutrients, and heal the root causes - nutrient imbalances.