Glutamine And Blood Sugar

Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭
edited November 2015 in General Discussion

I have been doing the l-glutamine supplementation route for healing leaky gut (for the first time with a semi-serious dose of just under 30 g). I've felt pretty good after about a week or two sustained above 20 g. I've had less food allergies and less sensitivities to my environment, however, I've gotten some weird stuff like slight neuropathy and tingling on my skin in different places. I checked my blood sugar, and my resting glucose level was 92, which is 15-20 higher than usual. Just now, after a carby meal, I got up to 137, which is about 30 more than the highest I've ever seen. 

I've also not been working out as much (following general recommendations for restoring glutamine levels to normal), or really at all, and I'm wondering if that is the main cause of a possible increase in insulin resistance.

Comments

• edited November 2015

It could be a combination of both which is why there is such a big difference. Glutamine has been known to effect blood sugar levels in sensitive individuals no doubt.

Have you taken glutamine on an empty stomach and tested your blood sugar pre and post?

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Yeah, glutamine can easily be converted into glucose.

Check this out for more info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucogenic_amino_acid

But if your levels go back to normal in a few hours after eating I think you are good.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

It could be a combination of both which is why there is such a big difference. Glutamine has been known to effect blood sugar levels in sensitive individuals no doubt.

Have you taken glutamine on an empty stomach and tested your blood sugar pre and post?

I have taken it on an empty stomach before. However, I haven't tested after that. I think I'll try doing that.