Are Green Bananas Worth Eating Or Avoiding?

mistamista
edited November 2015 in Bulletproof Diet

Lately, I'm interested in optimizing my LDL-P (keeping it under 1,000 particles) while keeping HDL in the mid-range.  I'm also interested in keeping blood sugar level and avoiding spikes in glucose / triglycerides.  I've just about got this figured out and where I want it.

In looking to avoid blood sugar spikes, I noticed green bananas have a particularly low glycemic index (and I actually kind of like the starchy taste / texture.)  It looks like the glycemic index is lowered due to RS2 resistant starch.  This seems like an easy hack, however, looking further into resistant starch, I came across these posts:

Resistant Starch (RS2, specifically) is mentioned to be anti-prebiotic, promoting insulin resistance and fat gain:

Resistant Starch is mentioned to increase yeast / candida overgrowth:

Adding resistant starch increased LDL-C alone over 200:

Adding a relatively small amount of resistant starch increased LDL-P to the highest recorded LDL-P of his life:

Adding a relatively small amount of resistant starch increased LDL-P to over 2,500 particles:

Adding a relatively small amount of resistant starch increased LDL-P to over 3,000 particles:

So, I'm wondering if green bananas are a worthwhile hack for lowering the glycemic index of this starchy fruit, or if I'm better off eating those ripe and sugary?  Is RS2 specifically worth avoiding, or is there a difference between raw unripe green bananas and bob's redmill potato starch?  Is RS1 or RS3 worth consuming, or is RS best left out of the diet?  I'm also curious what the mechanism might be for resistant starch worsening LDL-P.

Comments

•  

Lately, I'm interested in optimizing my LDL-P (keeping it under 1,000 particles) while keeping HDL in the mid-range.  I'm also interested in keeping blood sugar level and avoiding spikes in glucose / triglycerides.  I've just about got this figured out and where I want it.

In looking to avoid blood sugar spikes, I noticed green bananas have a particularly low glycemic index (and I actually kind of like the starchy taste / texture.)  It looks like the glycemic index is lowered due to RS2 resistant starch.  This seems like an easy hack, however, looking further into resistant starch, I came across these posts:

Resistant Starch (RS2, specifically) is mentioned to be anti-prebiotic, promoting insulin resistance and fat gain:

Resistant Starch is mentioned to increase yeast / candida overgrowth:

Adding resistant starch increased LDL-C alone over 200:

Adding a relatively small amount of resistant starch increased LDL-P to the highest recorded LDL-P of his life:

Adding a relatively small amount of resistant starch increased LDL-P to over 2,500 particles:

Adding a relatively small amount of resistant starch increased LDL-P to over 3,000 particles:

So, I'm wondering if green bananas are a worthwhile hack for lowering the glycemic index of this starchy fruit, or if I'm better off eating those ripe and sugary?  Is RS2 specifically worth avoiding, or is there a difference between raw unripe green bananas and bob's redmill potato starch?  Is RS1 or RS3 worth consuming, or is RS best left out of the diet?  I'm also curious what the mechanism might be for resistant starch worsening LDL-P.

This is the first I've heard of RS2 raising LDL. I've been consuming green banana flour almost daily for 18 months and my LDL-C hasn't budged. It's always 90-105. However, during this time I have seen positive changes in other lipid parameters including an increase in HDL from 55 to 109 and a drop in triglycerides from 100 to 38. CRP-hs is barely measurable. I'm not sure I can positively attribute the green banana flour to any of these changes but as far as I can tell, it certainly hasn't hurt anything. I list the other changes I made here : How I Lowered My CRP by 81% and Increased My HDL by 67% in 6 Months

A contrary position to those you listed:

Banana Starch, a Natural Resistant Starch That May Help Obese + Lean Alike Get & Stay Lean & Insulin Sensitive

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• This is the first I've heard of RS2 raising LDL. I've been consuming green banana flour almost daily for 18 months and my LDL-C hasn't budged. It's always 90-105. However, during this time I have seen positive changes in other lipid parameters including an increase in HDL from 55 to 109 and a drop in triglycerides from 100 to 38. CRP-hs is barely measurable. I'm not sure I can positively attribute the green banana flour to any of these changes but as far as I can tell, it certainly hasn't hurt anything.

Wow, very cool.  Maybe I'll stick with yellowish green bananas.  I've bookmarked your HDL post for future reference -- lots of good tidbits.  I'm noticing probiotics seem to be a key component -- is there any particular reason why you chose those 4 (specific probiotic strains?) ?

• pd85pd85
    edited November 2015

I've read nothing but good results for resistant starch and cholesterol levels. In fact, I would bet that is it's best bio-hacking usage. As much as Dr. Grace from Animal Pharm seemingly wants to help, she has misrepresented a ton of data. There is a big internet war between a few sites and her sites. She is out to demonize resistant starch. And in my opinion she is way too haphazard in her presentation of information to take her seriously, and she contradicts herself constantly.  I wish this wasn't the case.