Safety Of Xylitol

Have been reading that xylitol feeds gut microbes and candida. Am bummed that so many of Dave's products carry these. Is anyone else concerned?

Comments

• I don't think that sugar alcohol sweeteners are necessarily harmful, but they make a lot of people really gaseous (and more).  If you have SIBO, I think you want to avoid them.  It depends on what's living in your gut and where.  Some people tolerate xylitol and erythritol really well, others blow up like a balloon.  I avoid xylitol completely and try to minimize the amount of erythritol I consume because my own tribe of gut bacteria throws a big party when I eat sugar alcohol sweeteners (maltitol, forget it!).  I also get gaseous from inulin (in case you don't know what inulin is, it is a fiber found in chicory root, onion, garlic, leeks, jerusalem artichoke, etc.).  It would be preferable from my point of view if BP products were sweetened with Stevia rather than xylitol/erythritol.

Mary

• edited November 2015

Some can have a slight reaction to Xylitol, it might be experienced in a following way:

NotTheBees-1429018484.gif

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Have been reading that xylitol feeds gut microbes and candida. Am bummed that so many of Dave's products carry these. Is anyone else concerned?

It depends. If you have overgrowth or SIBO, especially gram negative bacteria, it can feed them. They love fermenting polyols! There are minute doses in Dave's products however so most people should be fine.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• Low carb and xylitol is a particularly nasty combination.  I wrote a blog about low carb diets and the gut last summer.  Fortunately, there is not much xylitol in Bulletproof products.

• Jason H, thanks very much for posting that link. I had no idea low carb and sugar alcohols were a bad combo.

What would you recommend as a quick fix to bloating and gas after eating sugar alcohols?

I can sometimes tolerate a tiny amount but other times I can't. My only source is BP vanilla bars and BP hot chocolate, which don't have much xylitol/erythritol in them.

Is the medication De-Gas a good option? What about charcoal?

Or do I just have to let the bloating go away on its own?

Thanks.
  • Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

Yes, I do not tolerate xylitol, probably for that reason. Please send the study. It gives me awful burning in my gut and then Mantezuma's revenge, often that very night.

Low carb and xylitol is a particularly nasty combination.  I wrote a blog about low carb diets and the gut last summer.  Fortunately, there is not much xylitol in Bulletproof products.

Dude, that article rules. That's some seriously indepth stuff. You just demystified every xylitol experience I've ever had. I guess I was sweating and not able to sleep, those nights I had brownies with xylitol, due to the endotoxinssssss. Ouch.

It depends. If you have overgrowth or SIBO, especially gram negative bacteria, it can feed them. They love fermenting polyols! There are minute doses in Dave's products however so most people should be fine.

They have too much for me. Makes me sick every time. However, after what I learned about low-carb and sugar alcohols combo, I might try again (I eat lots more carbs now).

• Jason HooperJason Hooper ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015

Simethicone pretty easy on the gut (it is non-protein binding, and is 100% excreted), but it does not actually reduce gas.  For some, it helps people pass it more quickly.  Charcoal also won't help with gas, but it will help mop up LPS, one most insidious endotoxins produced from xylitol.  The small amounts of sugar alcohols in BP products shouldn't really be setting you off (unless you are eating multiple collagen bars at a time) unless your microbiome is off.  You might want to try one of John's SIBO protocols and see if you don't feel better.

Jason H, thanks very much for posting that link. I had no idea low carb and sugar alcohols were a bad combo.

What would you recommend as a quick fix to bloating and gas after eating sugar alcohols?

I can sometimes tolerate a tiny amount but other times I can't. My only source is BP vanilla bars and BP hot chocolate, which don't have much xylitol/erythritol in them.

Is the medication De-Gas a good option? What about charcoal?

Or do I just have to let the bloating go away on its own?

Thanks.

Simethicone pretty easy on the gut (it is non-protein binding, and is 100% excreted), but it does not actually reduce gas.  For some, it helps people pass it more quickly.  Charcoal also won't help with gas, but it will help mop up LPS, one most insidious endotoxins produced from xylitol.  The small amounts of sugar alcohols in BP products shouldn't really be setting you off (unless you are eating multiple collagen bars at a time) unless your microbiome is off.  You might want to try one of John's SIBO protocols and see if you don't feel better.

Isn't it completely ironic that xylitol is bad for people on low-carb diets? Those are the people who would have the most occasion to use sugar alcohols as a sugar substitute, innit?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file