Protein Fasting Question

I've tried to do the one day protein fasting as outlined in the bulletproof diet in the past. However, I've run into two issues:

1) I find myself starved, especially toward the end of the day. And often "cheat" by having something with protein.

2) I lift weights 3-4 times a week. Does going without protein on a day that I'm lifting have a negative effect on physical and/or mental performance?

Do you have any suggestions on being able to fight off hunger cravings? And how do you handle protein fasts with a regular exercise routine?

Comments

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Don't deprive your body from protein around your workouts. If you want to do it, find a day when your body is not repairing your muscles. Or maybe divide it to shorter periods of time.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• I've tried to do the one day protein fasting as outlined in the bulletproof diet in the past. However, I've run into two issues:

1) I find myself starved, especially toward the end of the day. And often "cheat" by having something with protein.

2) I lift weights 3-4 times a week. Does going without protein on a day that I'm lifting have a negative effect on physical and/or mental performance?

Do you have any suggestions on being able to fight off hunger cravings? And how do you handle protein fasts with a regular exercise routine?

My personal experience has been that I do fine with protein fasting (I actually do total fasting) on my off days. I train 6 days a week and my off day I fast. So far I continue to get stronger and leaner. 

• I've tried to do the one day protein fasting as outlined in the bulletproof diet in the past. However, I've run into two issues:

Sorry for not directly answering your question before. I'm researching a related question and came back here.

For hunger cravings - the longer you've been doing fasting or some variation the easier it gets. I've just learned to deal with it mostly. However, I do enjoy the appetite suppression, mental boost, and metabolic effects of stimulants. Coffee, BPC, caffeine, ephedrine (or ephedra), and synephrine have all been part of my dieting protocol at some point. Pros and cons to each. 

I'm also noticing that when I return to lifting I benefit from having a normal meal and/or carbs before the session. For example, Wed - Normal diet plus training, Thu - Off + fasting, Fri - Normal diet + training (with meal before training session). Bonked pretty hard trying a small grassfed whey shake and BPC preworkout the day after fasting  >_<. Cardio this seems to be less significant, but for heavy squats...