Further Filter Already Bottled Water In Plastic

I know there are a host of environmental factors among other problems created by the use of bottled water in plastics but I have access to already bottled water in plastic bottles during the day. Which filter is best to further filter this water from the chemical contaminants introduced by the plastic container.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

What chemical contaminants are you trying to filter out? A Berkey will filter most things out of water with the notable exception of fluoride.

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/

• The water has already been subjected to reverse osmosis and other types of filtration.

Some sources cite that even non BPA plastic containers can leach hormone disrupting chemicals into the water during processing and when exposed to certain environmental factors. I am looking for a filter that could clean up some of these chemicals before I drink it.

To determine if a water filter will filter out the chemicals you are concerned about we would need to know what exactly those chemicals are.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016

don't know if it's possible, but filtering out BPA, BPS & BPF would be a good start. 

(Bisphenol A, S & F)

fake it till you make it

edited January 2016

what ID symbol does it have on the plastic ?  (this info may be of help to the thread)

eg. plastic-resin-codes.jpg

fake it till you make it

• Thanks for the responses so far.

I am basically concerned with any chemicals that are nonwater and are potentially disruptive to my system that can be filtered.

Especially ones that are considered by some to be estrogenic in nature. I am unable to be specific because every website tells me something different.

If plastic of any kind introduces new chemicals into the water after it has already been strongly filtered, I would like to filter those as best possible. Filtering BPA,S,and F sounds like a great start. Are there filters for these types of chemicals?
  • Probably a 1 but not entirely sure. Where is the number found on the bottle. Its generally standard bottled water found at grocery.
    edited January 2016

Probably a 1 but not entirely sure. Where is the number found on the bottle. Its generally standard bottled water found at grocery.

Usually on the bottom of the bottle. look for the triangle, they can be hard to find & see sometimes. 

usually a 1, 2 or 7

fake it till you make it

Why don't you just buy a glass water bottle and use that instead of the plastic ones? Reverse-osmosis filtered water should do great in a borosilicate water bottle.

Can you describe the setup you are working with in detail? Double-filtering because of the container just seems odd. From what you have said so far it seems like:

1. During the day water is being reverse-osmosis filtered

2. The water is put into some kind of plastic bottles

3. You want to filter it again because of the plastic bottles

Skip a step and use borosilicate glass? $8 water bottle instead of $100+ water filter?

• My question is in regard to water provided to me in plastic bottles. It was already bottled by a company.

It's still going to be way cheaper to just bring good quality water with you in a glass water bottle rather than purchasing a redundant filter.

• After looking around, it doesn't look like filters can eliminate plastic derived chemicals. It appears that mostly all water sources will have these toxins.
    endocrine disruptors in (bottled) water may be worth a google as well.

( I have not looked in to this myself)

fake it till you make it