I Deactivated My Facebook

And now I have to tell people in person.. like it's the 90s

Comments

• I just posted about my social media restraint moments ago, strange coincidence. The politics and complaining on Facebook became a burden in my everyday life. I have really started to dislike many of my best friends based only on their social media posts. Not at all conductive to a Bulletproof lifestyle. I plan on using the extra time I would spend on Facebook on a mobile app to be more mindful and present and the time I would spend on Facebook on a computer to learn something new, spend more time on this forum, work on producing my own content or look up new recipes to try. 

How about you? Did you delete Facebook for the same reasons? Anything you plan to do with the extra time?

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015

Good thread. All out of likes for the day, but this is a good conversation to have.

I deleted mine some time back and couldn't be happier. I maintain an FB/Twitter for my business, for advertising purposes, but don't do personal profiles anymore. It became far too easy to hate people I otherwise liked, or to become depressed when weighing my life against the "greatest hits" presented on their timelines. Perhaps it was all very petty of me, to get so caught up in other people's posts, but the whole thing was so unproductive and unrewarding that cutting it out was the only thing that made sense. I'm much happier without it, focusing on my own life and the things I can change. Before, I was dedicating way too much headspace to what others might think of my statuses, my opinions. Seeking validation. I've known other people who have done the same, and I feel like it's an easy cycle to fall into. It got to the point where I felt the need to manufacture witty or impressive blurbs on the regular, lest I fall out of fashion in some group or another. Shaming people with different political opinions or beliefs was a time-consuming way for me to award myself some kind of abstract value, but what I should have been doing was focusing on myself, improving. So many interactions on those sites were completely hollow. It took me a long time to realize that my hours on social media were just a result of my insecurity and weakness. Low self-worth and a lack of proper accomplishments.

The sharing and comparisons on social media are just narcissist-fuel, IMO. My politics, relationships, accomplishments, what songs or other media I'm obsessed with currently, my humblebrags... No one on social media cares about my attention whoring, and I found that I didn't care about theirs. No, instead... I now just save all of that stuff for my posts on the Bulletproof forum  ;)

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited December 2015

I've had some luck with going in and aggressively choosing "don't show more posts like this" on all the news feed posts that annoy me, but I don't do it often and crappy political posts without solutions have cropped back up. But for a few weeks after the initial purge things were acceptable. The problem with this method is that to clean up the news feed, you have to interact with the news feed. 

I haven't used it, but there is a plugin for Chrome called News Feed Eradicator. Sounds like a good solution. 

• I've had some luck with going in and aggressively choosing "don't show more posts like this" on all the news feed posts that annoy me, but I don't do it often and crappy political posts without solutions have cropped back up. But for a few weeks after the initial purge things were acceptable. The problem with this method is that to clean up the news feed, you have to interact with the news feed. 

yeah that's my main strategy. when too much bullshit starts cluttering things up i go on a cleaning spree and unfollow all of the people posting too much political/new age/religious/etc. crap or an unnecessary amount of pics of their kids/pets/etc....doesn't matter if they're good friends or whatever. so far no one's noticed or complained. i'm not much for following the news or current events otherwise so i find that the plethora of perspectives on stuff on facebook helps me avoid being a total hermit and gives some good food for thought. i get a lot of interesting stuff from various groups, the ReWild Yourself group, the Movement Culture group, the Back To Eden Gardening Method group, and sometimes Dave Asprey even shares some good stuff. Its just like any tool, useful at times when you know what you want to  do with it and how to do it. 

• Deleted my FB account over a year ago after "fasting" from it for a month. It freed up a lot of time and mental energy during that month, so I decided to say goodbye for good.

I do still have a Twitter account that I check usually once a day, sometimes less. But do not spend more than 10 minutes on it.
  • sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

I enjoy tagging my intelligent friends with trending science and nature topics, often informing them that none of them are intense enough to handle the onslaught of SCIENCE! I follow a handful of prominent figures who's news I would like to keep up on. I also indulge in a smattering of masochistic intellectual hedonism and enter in 'discussions' with friends or strangers who have severely radical views like anarcho-capitalism, anti-vaxxers, 9/11 Truthers, purveyors of New Age woo, and quantum woo. It often devolves into correcting their erroneous claims with some basic chemistry, physics, or Snopes.com as I am branded a 'shill' and told that I am 'indoctrinated' and just believe 'official stories'. Oh and I worship the 'State'. There are highly accurate mind-readers and psychologists behind every misspelled Facebook post it seems!

It really helps one quickly build a thick internet-skin and has taught me to easily recognize patterns of rhetoric and formulate efficient and effective responses on the fly. Plus it's hella fun dipping a toe in the crazy pond once in a while  :mrgreen:

Oh, and Facebook Messager is great for quickly sharing links, photos and videos since Android supports native sharing, AND if you have the data on your cellular plan Messenger calls are higher quality based on your signal quality, so you get HD calling for free on 4G or WiFi!

(I keep Facebook on a separate email account though and don't use it to sign in to other websites, just as a precaution.)

• The main driver for deactivation stemmed from my own forgetting to customize who can or can not see certain posts.. it all got to be too much.  Add to that I'm not really trying to live a life on display for a handful of close friends, a smaller handful of estranged (and strange) relatives, and several hundred strangers I've somehow become 'friends' with.

It's been about a week now.  I don't miss it.

If I want news, I go to reddit.  If I want to talk to a friend, I'll text or call them.  I've seriously got close to 800 Facebook friends but in reality only three friends.

Want to talk about waste of time?

How many of you would start to reply to someone's asinine political comment, only to delete, start over and ultimately, not post anything at all after about 20 minutes of this nonsense?

• yeahhhh i don't go there. my facebook feed is more like, videos of crazy gymnasts, yogis, weightlifters, martial artists, musicians, and gardeners along with interesting articles, mostly about health, fitness, primitive living, occasionally some philosophical or world news stuff and just random stuff from my friends/acquaintances, who are mostly pretty intelligent or at least funny. i'm pretty passive with it except for using it to encourage friends to do cool shit like go to concerts and make gardens and come to my capoeira classes, of course!

that being said, it has been a little too long since i've taken an internet break. i could go for a good couple weeks in the wilderness at some point in the not too distant future. 

• it has been a little too long since i've taken an internet break. i could go for a good couple weeks in the wilderness at some point in the not too distant future. 

truth

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

severely radical views like anarcho-capitalism

>_> dayum bro y u hatin'? statists gonna state

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

>_> dayum bro y u hatin'? statists gonna state

All I do is ask them what their plan actually is to achieve their goals! Once you recognize the patterns in their rhetoric they do all the heavy lifting, as long as you can remain calm and ask concise questions.

The major downside to doing this on Facebook is the echo-chamber effect. It stifles conversation.

• GhastlyPrezGhastlyPrez Ghastly Prezence
    I'd love to deactivate my FB, unfortunately I sort of need one for work. For the longest time I didn't use FB for anything aside from contacting distant relatives or friends. Lately (the last 4 months) I've noticed a spike in friend requests from what I can only assume are spambots, which makes me want to distance myself even further from the monster that FB has become over the last 7 to 8 years.
  • yeah, FB takes out our time, but I need to keep my working contacts somewhere, so I continue to use it. 

• I really wish there was an App/Tool that you could set that would limit FB access time. For example, you could set for 15 minutes and then after 15 min you'd be locked out of FB for 24 hours. That would be a great way to limit access but without deleting the application.
  • I do still have a Twitter account that I check usually once a day, sometimes less. But do not spend more than 10 minutes on it.

Ended up deleting my Twitter account at the end of 2015, so now I am really an outsider. :wink: