Cowspiracy

How do you all feel about this documentary?

Comments

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

I love how "documentaries" have no solid "documentation". It's like calling a self-published ebook a "published paper".

...or you can "follow the money". Who's making money from the documentary? There's the real conspiracy  :ph34r:

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    It's just plain wrong how boatloads of cows are getting stolen.

...oh wait a minute that's cowPiracy

fake it till you make it

• fixerforhirefixerforhire Mr. Not Sure.

chickfila.jpeg

Gross. In-N-Out is way better. Protein style baby!

• fixerforhirefixerforhire Mr. Not Sure.

double double animal style

fries animal style.

I do that 3 times a year.

gut bomb!

Plus they own their own farms, they never freeze anything, they have fresh deliveries daily, and you can see them cook your food!

Protein style burger + ginseng soda = one great afternoon! (You can even do protein/animal style double doubles and avoid the bun-induced gastric issues hehe!)

• edited January 2016

I just heard Joe Rogan's interview with the creators of this documentary. More plant-based agenda crap, yeesh.

It's pretty clear to me that their education about human nutrition is not very advanced. For instance, they point out gorillas and bison are huge muscular creatures (earlier there's a joke about vegans being skinny and weak) and those animals subsist on vegan diets. Hey guess what? Humans don't have the same digestive system. Conceding the environmental argument, Joe grills them about human performance and how that requires animal protein. They point out ONE guy who does great on a vegan diet, the one exception. The exception that proves the rule.

Dissecting every misstep would take hours.

As for arming yourself against the environmental aspect of this propaganda:

1. A TED talk about cows and how they reverse desertification: http://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savory_how_to_green_the_world_s_deserts_and_reverse_climate_change

2. A book called Cows Save The Planet: http://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savory_how_to_green_the_world_s_deserts_and_reverse_climate_change

3. Look up Joel Salatin's interviews or books where he talks about the soil. Holistic land management recognizes that animals are an integral part of the soil cycle and renewal. I'm pretty sure he covers this on Joe Rogan's show. Holistic land management would pre-empt their entire documentary, but it's more of an academic point since an incredibly small percentage of farmland is devoted to that.

4. I haven't evaluated it personally, but having everyone on a plant-based diet would be even more energy and land intensive. Plants are not calorically dense. I conceive of them as mostly being vitamin pills with water and fiber. In order to eat enough calories, the volume and quantity of plants necessary would be astronomical. That's why there was that study in the news last year about lettuce being less environmentally friendly than meat. Moreover -- if this is the thing that appeals to you -- you can point out that veganism is only affordable for white yuppies because have you seen how expensive produce is?

Finally, a word about documentaries in general. The vast majority of them are a waste of time. Most, if not all, have an agenda and political aspirations. They're designed to get you riled up against the powers that be. Unless it's a subject piece with no agenda like 'Giro Dreams of Sushi', "Pumping Iron", or some rock climbing adventure story, you should just pass. I realized today that my reading is strongly non-fictional and my watching (movies and TV) is strongly fictional. I think that's best for my mental health. The mere act of hearing an interview about this documentary has caused me to come up with all this argumentation crap. Imagine how rustled my jimmies would be if I actually attempted to watch it (Clockwork Orange style). It's like Dave says, use your energy on things that matter.

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

^^ On a side-note, Jiro Dreams of Sushi and Pumping Iron are both awesome documentaries and highly recommended.

^^^And on another side-note, fixerforhire's pic upthread has me wanting to divulge my latest sin: I hit up Chick-Fil-A the other day and ate my heart out. That food is so damn good, and the service is always excellent.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• "Look up Joel Salatin's interviews or books where he talks about the soil. Holistic land management recognizes that animals are an integral part of the soil cycle and renewal. I'm pretty sure he covers this on Joe Rogan's show. Holistic land management would pre-empt their entire documentary, but it's more of an academic point since an incredibly small percentage of farmland is devoted to that."

This guy really gets it.  Old school meets new school with a full day of actual WORK and amazing organizational skills of movement and rotation.  Why else would hooves exist if not to have some sort of tilling effect on the soil?

Seeing through the chaotic.
  • John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

^^ On a side-note, Jiro Dreams of Sushi and Pumping Iron are both awesome documentaries and highly recommended.

^^^And on another side-note, fixerforhire's pic upthread has me wanting to divulge my latest sin: I hit up Chick-Fil-A the other day and ate my heart out. That food is so damn good, and the service is always excellent.

I love Jiro Dreams of Sushi, so comfy.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• JRE #760 discusses this further:

https://youtu.be/mzXF2cwfG-Y?t=24m47s