Brain Fog And Irregular Heart Beat

I've read a bunch of other posts on brain fog, racing heart, shortness of breath and other symptoms from going on the BP diet.  I understand there is an adjustment period, but I don't see anything that relates exactly to me.

I've been easing into the diet, but I am doing the BPC and have cut sugar and gluten.  I have been eating a highly vegetarian diet for the last couple of years.  About 15 years ago I was hit with what could only be described as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome but was never diagnosed officially since I was missing a few key symptoms.  But I was getting fatigue so bad the only thing I could do was sleep it off.  I was getting headaches; I couldn't exercise even when feeling ok, near constant foggy head, lightheadedness, and had no tolerance for alcohol.  I couldn't carry on conversations by evening time and was slowly putting on weight. Doctors couldn't find anything wrong with me after years of tests and evaluations.  I learned to accept it and minimize the symptoms with diet and exercise.

About 4 years ago, I learned that I am pre-diabetic.  And....my triglycerides had skyrocketed to over 1350!  I was experiencing head rushes, racing heart, fatigue, headaches, and shortness of breath.  My doctor said I will need meds if I don't get this under control.  Again, through adjustments to my diet I reduced my triglycerides below 300 as of last month.  One of the adjustments I made was to stop taking fish oil.  I know, it's supposed to drop the triglyceride levels, but I twice started and stopped fish oil and found that to correlate with my try levels.

In researching about inflammation, I came across the BP diet.  I decided I would try it because it sounds like it would help what I've been battling for years. I did blood tests before and starting to ease into the BP diet.  I'm not doing for weight loss but hoped to lose 5-10 pounds.

I was having a hard time with just the coffee (started with tsp butter/oil each) in the morning without having major hunger pangs and had to supplement my morning intake with light food.  An egg, a piece of gluten free toast, or oatmeal.  They all didn't do much to ease the hunger and I didn't notice any difference in how I felt between the different foods.  Last week, week two on BP coffee (half dose of butter/oil), I was starting to notice my mind was feeling very foggy and I was getting some adrenaline rushes.  Racing heart, head rushes. Then on Sunday, I had my BP coffee and two eggs with butter.  No carbs. I had to do some coaching and then play lacrosse.  About an hour before game time I got a headache and by the time I was done playing I was in the middle of a meltdown.  Major fatigue, shortness of breath, no muscle strength and I had no focus mentally.  Exactly like I was feeling when my triglycerides were super high.

I realized I hadn't eaten carbs so I went home and ate two bowls of cereal.  Then I had a craving for chocolate so I ate some, first candy in weeks.  I felt better within an hour or so but was still fatigued with a mild headache and went to bed early.  I decided I would try the BP coffee full strength and not eat anything in the morning.  I thought maybe I needed to commit more to the coffee thing and my body would adjust.  I also made sure I didn't go too long without carbs.  I've been drinking lots of water during the day.

This week, I have had increased energy.  I don't need a mid-day coffee.  I'm a teacher and I notice my after lunch classes I have more spark and a better mood.  I am more passionate about what I'm doing and really get into conversations like I'm on a high.  The bad thing is that I while I feel more energy and passion, I'm also in a fog mentally. I double check my lane changes like I immediately forget if I already checked.  I can't remember if I fed the dog 5 or 10 minutes later.  It feels like a very minor stuffy head.  I'm also having adrenaline rushes, racing hart at times and shortness of breath walking up stares.

I'm an athlete and need to do intensive training at times.  I generally exercise 2 or 3 times a week but find it difficult to do so.  I'm also VERY concerned that my triglycerides are shooting up as I write this.  I know, the BP diet is supposed to drop try levels.  Sounds crazy, and maybe it was something else, but I'm fearful that I may have an odd response to healthy oils in this dosage.

Anyone experience or know anything that may help me?  Currently, I'm planning to stay on the current path and hope my body adjusts, then after another 2 or 3 weeks get my blood checked again.  If triglycerides have gone way up, I think I need to ditch the BP diet.  Will I be able to jog without a massive head rush.  Can I sleep without waking up to a racing heart?

Comments

• I am not an expert, but to me it sounds like your detoxing. I would go on with the diet for a few weeks and look how your body reacts further to it. Also if you are an Athlet I would recommend eat more Carbs but look for the bulletproof ones. Most important is the quality of your food. Eat Food low in Toxins mostly organic.

Hope my opinion could help.

Greetings

• BrainSpankingNewsBrainSpankingNews Vitimus Maximus ✭✭

You sound like you may be magnesium deficient. Cravings for chocolate, headache, brain fog and rapid heart beat are good indications of this. I had these issues myself awhile back. Keep in mind that you can be very deficient in magnesium and still have a blood panel that comes out fine. This is because your body tightly regulates the magnesium levels in your blood and will rob it from other tissue and organs to keep the blood level normalized.

I would also add potassium. But ditch the calcium if you take any. This will worsen the problem.

Are you in need of a Bulletproof Diet coach??

coach-badge-blue-300x60.png

Antony Reed

Founder/Editor of BrainSpankingNews.com

Health, Science, and Liberation

Clear-out the contrary and embrace the uncomfortable!

Bananaboy99 has good points too. If you're training a lot, you will use up magnesium faster through sweating and because your muscles are trying desperately to relax and you need magnesium to do this. 

And definitely eat some carbs if you're working out. 

Antony Reed

• Thanks for the replies and yes it helps.  I actually bought Magnesium on Tuesday after reading about this issue and have used it three nights in a row.  I think I'm getting better sleep but no difference in the general fog and strong heart beats, but it's fairly manageable.  This morning I did 20 fast pushups to see how my heart beat would react and I noticed a huge difference in my muscles.  Due to the fatigue issues, any time I exercise it feels like a strain, each rep.  I was able to fly through 20 and didn't really feel strain until the end.  So if feels like the BP adjustments are doing some of the physical things I'm wanting.  But my heart started racing and I got a little lightheaded.  No way I could condition with running right now but maybe this will improve?  I have read that Dave suggests no strenuous exercise for the first couple weeks.

I wonder if high doses of even healthy oil is somewhat of a risk for certain people.  My lipid panel has been a bit strange over the last several years.  Super high triglycerides 6 years ago, excellent overal cholesterol, low both HDL and LDL.  I was at one point over 1300 on my Tris.  Here is my last blood panel, interesting that Kaiser changed the "normal" levels of tris from 199 to 499 in the last few years.

Cholesterol: 136 (<=239)

Tri: 276 (<=499)

HDL: 29 (>=40)

LDL: 52 (<=159)

So I don't need to make adjustments to my numbers other than raising my HDL and I don't need to lose weight, right now I'm 6' and 180lbs.  I'm doing it to shed a little flab, to get consistant energy, clear a near constant low level fatigue and major energy crashes once or twice a day.

• My post is a bit all over the place.  Let me focus my concerns.  Are there potential problems associated with the BP diet and hypertriglyceridemia?  My TG levels are great at 276 and usually hover between 3-400 when I'm exercising and eating well.

• It sounds to me you could have adrenal issues. You could consider increasing your salt intake, sea salt or Himalayan.

There are many supplements for supporting the adrenals, just look up iherb.com and search for adrenals.

Magnesium is a good idea and maybe a trial of potassium.

It's strange that your triglycerides were so high but your cholesterol was ok. The numbers look good now though.

It may just be an adjustment period or detox you're experiencing. Easing into the BP diet is a good idea and keep listening to your body.

The light headedness and palpitations could be low blood sugar, you mention you were pre-diabetic four years ago. So your body may be producing too much insulin in response to carbs, causing a corresponding low blood sugar episode.

Healthy carbs and protein at every meal should help. A lot of people add BP collagen protein to their morning coffee.

The question of whether eating a BP diet might cause your tri's to go high is a tricky one. The only way to know is to keep following the diet and have them tested in 3 months time.

I hope this helps a bit.
  • Yes, very helpful.  I have been taking 1 teaspoon of magnesium and increasing my sea salt.  I drank a glass of sea salt water this morning after my coffee and took mineral supplements.  Feeling good today but I tend to get the hard heart beats in the evening.  I also ate more of my normal diet on Sunday with a real breakfast and that helped.  But boy, I'm taxed by 8 or 9 at night.

I'll look into the collagen.  Thanks!

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    I Second magnesium and potassium.

Also you beef more carbs when exercising a lot.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Right now I'm not exercising much so I don't think the exercise is tapping my body much, other than the day I tried to play lacrosse.

Ok Because you said you do exercise workout a couple of Times per week. Still weird heart rate can come from early Stage ketosis and is normal. And again just to make you Understand potassium is something that stabilizes heart pressure etc and your adrenals use a lot of it in keto and you do Not get much of it when you follow a paleo Type diet. Also having huge ammounts of magnesium make my headache go away. Unless you are a weird Mutant your trygs should go into normal Ranges from keto. My trygs are optimal... Your adrenals also Need Salt. More so in keto. And You need your adrenals to keep blood pressure, cortisol and blood Sugar in check.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

You cholesterol is Low!

How much to eat:

• Yes, fortunate to have low cholesterol.  Currently taking sea salt with water in the morning but only about a half teaspoon.  Any suggestion on how much salt to take in the morning.  Iread in a couple other postings that some people drink a glass of salt water first thing in the am.  Salting up my veggies with the GF butter.  I also take a tablespoon of magnesium in the afternoon.  I took it at night last week but couldn't have a good bowel movement in the morning.  I just added collagen this morning to my coffee.  My gosh, I was getting grumply stomach by 9am and am now feeling a bit lightheaded from hunger right before lunch.  I read somewhere that collagen could make you hungrier. 

Well, I hope you were being sarcastic because especially your HDL is too low and you need cholesterol do produce cortisol and other hormones. I think everyone has his own salt "sensitivity" levels but as mentioned just salt won't do it. If you still have heart palpitations: Potassium helped me a lot.

1tsp magnesium? what kind of magnesium? I take up to 6 measurement spoons per day...  Usually it should be good for digestion and can give you loose stools and diarrhea if you take too much. Test it again in order to confirm that you really get digestive issues from it. But I probably also take a different form of mag than you.

I would try to focus on one thing at a time and not change too many variables at once. From my own experience I can say it will be hard to fix it all at once and you will be unable to follow what exactly helped and what not. i would also retest and confirm results and the best way to check your mag and ptassium levels would be a blood test.

So if your biggest concern is the Trigs than all I can say is my trygs are perfect after 2 years of bulletproof and my LDL is too high. Most of the forum members seem to have perfect cholesterol levels... I am a mutant...

How much to eat:

• I meant my regular cholesterol is good.  Yes, I know my HDL is too low. 

I'm taking Natural Vitality Natural Calm magnesium.  350mg per tablespoon. 

My biggest concern about my TG is that it will go way up again taking in all this healthy oil.  They are already on the high end.  I'm not doing the BP diet to lower them necessarily, but it would be nice.  Maybe I'm a mutant that way, that high doses of good oil increase my TG levels.

Blood tests at the end of the week.

Yes, very helpful.  I have been taking 1 teaspoon of magnesium and increasing my sea salt.  I drank a glass of sea salt water this morning after my coffee and took mineral supplements.  Feeling good today but I tend to get the hard heart beats in the evening.  I also ate more of my normal diet on Sunday with a real breakfast and that helped.  But boy, I'm taxed by 8 or 9 at night.

I'll look into the collagen.  Thanks!

Good for you on the magnesium and salt. It's best to drink the salt water just before standing in the morning. Also, make sure you get at least 600-800 mg of magnesium per day, preferably in the evening, as it helps with sleep quality.

Antony Reed

• Got my new test results.  Not good.

Cholesterol: 185 (up from 136)

Tri: 467 (up from 276), YIKES!!

HDL: 32 (up from 29)

LDL: 75 (up from 52)

That's about 5 1/2 weeks on bulletproof coffee, cutting sugar and gluten, eating lots of veggies, grass fed beef, lots of grass fed butter, supplementing with magnesium, glutathione, salt.  I have not gone total bulletproof but where I go off is when I return to my more normal habits.  These are the ones that helped me lose some weight before and got my TG down to 276.  Eating mostly veggie lunches (though not bulletproof veggies), regular breakfasts once a week with my normal coffee (stevia and creamer).  

My first adjustment is to eliminate the Brain Octane.  I usually have it with coffee and take another table spoon in the evening.  A couple nights ago, I woke up early in the morning to go pee and had a hard time getting back to sleep because my heart was pounding.  Decided it was time to make an adjustment.  BO is first to go.  Butter will be next if I don't feel a difference with the BO.

I am happy with my physique though and hate to go off my current path other than the TG.  I've lost a total of 8 lbs, mostly waist line, and don't see any muscle loss as I did when I went veggie, no-oil a few years ago.  But stamina is an issue still, can't really run or do anything strenuous without heart throbs and getting lightheaded.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Don't cholesterol and trigs rise when someone loses fat? Surely when you mobilize body fat more of it is moving around in the bloodstream.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• I don't know about that but I've only lost 7-8 lbs in 5-6 weeks.  I lost nearly 20 lbs in 10 weeks one time and didn't have the TG problem.  I think it's either the butter or the Brain Octane and I'm leaning toward blaming it on the butter.  I haven't had BO oil for about a week and I haven't felt any significant reduction in the heart pounding and lightheaded feelings, but it might be slightly better.  I will probably take a month or so for my blood to adjust back.

I am back to feeling a need for a pick me up coffee through out the day, I have heavy eyes, and don't have the same energy and happy disposition while I was on BP coffee.  Bummer.  I'm leaning toward going back to the BO oil in the coffee and cut out the butter.  I've read where butter can elevate TG levels and nowhere did I read that MCT oil would.  I read a bunch of articles and that said MCT oil should reduce TG.

I'm bummed.  I thought I was heading in the right direction.  Why can't I have the energy, the attitude, and the body sculpting without the high TG and WITH the ability to exercise?  Does anyone think my body just needs more time to adjust?  Is there a supplement I should avoid or should I cut something since I'm prone to high TG?  My doctor is fairly traditional and doesn't know what to do.

• @laxman - your regular updates were helpful for me, reading how you experienced the BP diet. I'm doing better than you are, but I do experience the hard rate problems. Can you give us an update again, se how the last 3 months worked for you?

• Have you had any improvements buddy? I'm on the same boat and it's horrible!