Emulsifying Coconut Oil/grass Fed Butter Into Cold Brew Coffee

Hi all!

I make a few gallons a week of cold-brew coffee for the family.  Everyone loves it!  After reading this website and listening to a few episodes of Dave on the podcast, I want to up the fam's healthy fat intake and this bulletproof coffee idea seems like a sure shot way of doing it. 

Considering I the coffee I make is a cold-brew, is it possible to emulsify the grass fed butter and coconut oil without a hot coffee?

I read a post from last year from xandoru about emulsifying mct oil, ghee, water, and sunflower lecithin. The recipe he came up with is below.

"160g ghee (ancient organics)

160g caprylic acid (brain octane)

160g water

13g liquid sunflower lecithin (now foods)"

Is this the best way to emulsify the fats into water?

Then what would be the best way to add these emulsified fats into a cold brew coffee?

How bout so everything stays emulsified together for an extended period of time? 

I want to be able to have my cold brew with healthy fats sitting in the fridge for a week without separation.  

Thanks a ton and I appreciate all the knowledge you folks have shared here!

Comments

• Oh and would mct oil rather than coconut oil or ghee rather than grassfed butter help this process?

What about blending some of Dave's raw cacao or raw vanilla in, would that help keep everything together?

• Hi Breathwindair!

Making an emulsion concentrate for extended use without a blender was my goal above.  Your "big batch of cold brew approach" will be a little different:

Emulsifying fats into coffee:

The ratio of fat to water isn't so critical - this works over a pretty long continuum, so it's dictated by your taste.  Most days I use:

- 550ml of hot-brewed coffee

- 20g of ghee

- 20g of Brain Octane

- 3g of liquid sunflower lecithin.  

The lecithin to fat ratio seems to be the most important:  Too little lecithin and the emulsion will "cream out," leaving some fat bubbles in your coffee (not the worst thing in the world ;-).  Too much lecithin and two things happen:

1) Over time (as the emulsion sits in my thermos on the way to work), lecithin curds form.  This isn't horrible, but it's unsightly and messy.

2) The excess lecithin coats the inside of your blender, and unlike water or oil or a stable emulsion, it actually takes some work to scrub from the surfaces with soap.  Again, not the end of the world; just an inconvenience.  This happens when I use about 5g of liquid lecithin to 40g of fat.

As for emulsifying cold brew vs. hot brew:  Emulsions work better at colder temperatures.  However in order to make the emulsion your temperature needs to be above the melting point of your fats.  If you only use MCT oil (liquid down to low temperatures), you could emulsify fridge-temp cold-brew coffee.  However if you're like me and put ghee in your brew, the emulsion needs to be at least at the melting point of ghee.  If I were emulsifying ghee into cold brew I'd check the temperature of ghee's melting point (guessing it's around 38C), bring the ghee and cold-brew up just to that melting point, and blend-away.  After that you should be able to bring the temperature back down to fridge-temp and the emulsion will hold.

I'll be interested to hear whether your emulsion stays stable over multiple days.  At the most I've only ever left emulsified coffee for 24 hours or so (and it's been fine that long).

Best,

mark

• Breathwindair,

One final thought:  It sounds like because of your brew quantity (gallons), it won't be easy to get all the coffee through your blender.  I'm guessing that's why you're going after the emulsion concentrate concept.  

The emulsion concentrate method works, but only sort-of:  There are two differences:

- When added to coffee the concentrate does distribute into the coffee, however it's never as silky-smooth as when the fats are high-speed homogenized (blended) into the coffee.

- There's something magical about what bulletproof coffee does in your body.  My hypothesis is that the caffeine, polyphenols and other alkaloids are getting bound to fat in the homogenization process, and this takes them through a different absorption pathway in your body.  The rush from high-speed homogenized fat-and-coffee is different from that of coffee alone -- it seems to hit more softly and lasts longer with less of a crash (plenty of discussion on the forums about this).  I don't think you get this effect when you blend emulsion-concentrate (or creamer, or heavy cream) into your coffee.  I noticed this after a few days with my emulsion concentrate while on the meditation retreat:  The feel was more like black coffee than the bulletproof coffee I've become accustomed to.

So with that, I'd recommend that you blend your big batch emulsion with at least some of the cold-brew.  Best would be to divide your multi-gallon batch into vita-mix sized batches and homogenize each one; short of that and possibly just as good would be to take one vita-mix of cold-brew, emulsify it, and then add it to the big multi-gallon batch.  That way you'll at least bind caffeine/polyphenols from the vitamix of cold-brew with fats.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

best,

mark

• Hello. How did the emulsified cold brew work?

Also, which brand of liquid sunflower lecithin is bulletproof?

Thanks in advance!