Whole Body Vibration... Why Doesn't Dave Like Side-To-Side Oscillation?

Dave mentions that he likes the up and down WBV plates v. the more common side to side ones as an aside here:

"There are a few mass-market ones with a history of weak welds or cheap (but unhealthy) side-to-side rocking motion."

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/biohacking-fitness-upgrade-whole-body-vibration-training/

Why?  What about the expensive side-to-side rocking ones?  There's one of those at my gym, and internet research seems to suggest that's more healthy.

Comments

• I have a side-to-side rocking one - I think the issue is that it is easy to compensate for the side-to-side motion (by relaxing your legs and absorbing most of the vibration below the waist) so it doesn't translate into a whole body vibration as effectively as the vertical motion machines.

If you stiffen your legs when standing on both sides, or just move to one side only (lots of extra stress on the mechanics) then I feel that the whole body gets 'vibrated'. I'm not aware of any reason why they are less healthy I think they just give a less than whole body vibration unless you're aware of how to stop your lower body compensating and allow the vibration to transmit all the way up.

Of course you don't have to stand on it either.... I;m sure you can find a position to get whatever you want vibrated optimally vibrated. I've tried sitting cross-legged trying to stretch my hips and get used to sitting cross-legged - and found it certainly helped. Planks with hands on the plate and shins on a swiss ball is also a great one for core and shoulders.

• NickatNickat
    edited March 2014

Okay...gonna resurrect this one out of curiosity but not without a theory.

Is the Whole Body Vibration (WBV) therapy technique achieved on Dave`s vibration plate mostly about stimulating the production of pain-easing chemicals called endorphins? Although not an electrical current like that of a TENS Pain Relief Machine it runs on the same frequency and jolts the body and brain up and down?

(Maybe the reaction to the muscles through vibrations are like that when a pulse has been given and then relaxed. That gives off chemicals to the brain, right?).

• HazakinsHazakins Graveyard shift putting me in the Grave!

My bet is cost, or cost to benefit ratio for a non commercial price point.

Trying to get a grasp on Ketosis? Watch this!

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited March 2014

The reason I recall Dave giving for no side-to-side is that it can destroy your joints, especially knees. Which makes sense, since they've had millions of years of evolution to deal with up/down forces, and far fewer side-to-side. 

The mechanism of action is that it forces your muscles to brace against the vibration, essentially causing a bunch of micro-contractions. In the same way that dumbells require more minor muscles to stabilize the weight as compared to barbells or especially machines, the vibration forces a lot more action from your muscles to keep everything stable. This is also why a shakeweight is so effective. 

Also, the vibration is supposed to circulate lymphatic fluid. 

• I have a vibration plate and many times experience itchiness after using it.  Any explanation for this?

• edited March 2014

I have a vibration plate and many times experience itchiness after using it.  Any explanation for this?

My wife gets this itching and so do I sometimes. The itching seems to be only in those areas with subcutaneous fat that are last to go when losing weight- for me it's upper inner thighs, for my wife it's her upper thighs generally. Perhaps the itching is from activation of lymphatic drainage or increased capillary circulation? Just googled it and found this on itchy legs when running: http://running.about.com/od/illnessesandrunning/ss/embarrassing_5.htm

• I get itchy, too. I read this is from being untrained- which I am. I also get itches when jogging or dancing for a long time. :-D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file