Minimalistic Resistance Training With No Doms?

It sounds like an odd goal, but 

- Don't care about gaining muscle

- Just doing a tiny bit of resistance training as insurance against gradual muscle loss 

- Been reading alot of Brad Pilon and Ray Cronise's talk about fasting -> been doing brief 20 hour to 24 hour fasts about once or twice a week and its going pretty well 

I did one set of incline press, one set of rear delt row, and one set of lat pullover machine. Medium weights and maybe like 12 reps, stopped maybe 4 reps before failure. Didn't fast that day, ate a good meal that day right before. 

And I got very sore with DOMS the next day. 

Would like to just never get DOMS again if possible just because its uncomfortable and I don't think I need it in my life for my fitness goals 

So what then do I just keep decreasing the number of reps and weight? Should I do like a 3 or 4 rep with medium weight and then stop? Does 3 rep medium-high weight give less DOMS than say 8 rep medium weight? 

What do I have really have control over aside from reps/weight to influence? If I am not doing electrostimulation like Dave Asprey, then what is the absolute bare minimum that I need to maintain my muscle mass? 

Comments

• edited July 2016

This is a rather complex topic. In fact, it would be fair to say we don't yet fully understand DOMS.

However, we do know that DOMS is brought on by the eccentric contraction of the tissue, "motion of an active muscle while it is lengthening under load" (look it up) so you can focus more on the concentric portion of the exercises as your body adapts. Don't forget to add the eccentric back in though! It's where you are strongest. 

Load and rep range? Everyone is different. Find what works best for you. Give the tissue time to slowly adapt to a given stimulus and you will surprised how much better you feel and how much quicker you'll achieve your goals. 

Hope this helps!

Thrive Fitness borntothrive.ca
    Thrive Health organicsulfurcrystals.ca
    Functional Movement Systems functionalmovement.com

• Then why do olympic lifters have DOMS after doing multiple sets of snatches?.  Since you drop the weight at the top, there is no eccentric contraction.  Same goes for cyclists and many other athletes.

• Then why do olympic lifters have DOMS after doing multiple sets of snatches?.  Since you drop the weight at the top, there is no eccentric contraction.  Same goes for cyclists and many other athletes.

Good point. 

I should clarify, most of the research you'll see states that the eccentric portion of the contraction is mostly responsible for DOMS. 

"Eccentric activities induce micro-injury at a greater frequency and severity than other types of muscle actions. "

"Eccentric exercises or novel activities should be introduced progressively over a period of 1 or 2 weeks at the beginning of, or during, the sporting season in order to reduce the level of physical impairment and/or training disruption. There are still many unanswered questions relating to DOMS, and many potential areas for future research."

Delayed onset muscle soreness : treatment strategies and performance factors. Cheung K(1),Hume P, Maxwell L.

According to some bio mechanics experts, there is an eccentric aspect to the snatch, once maximal ankle knee and hip extension is achieved in order to "pull under the bar." Same thought goes for cycling and stabilizing the knee. 

Thrive Fitness borntothrive.ca
    Thrive Health organicsulfurcrystals.ca
    Functional Movement Systems functionalmovement.com