Staying In Ketosis Vs Protein Intake

edited August 2016 in Athletic Performance

Still a newcomer here.  I'm doing BP coffee in the morning with Brain Octain(1 tbsp) & kerrygold butter, no problem there and I usually fast.

I've also started weightlifting to get healthy.  I'm currently an obese 269 lbs (5'6").

With weightlifting there's need push to drink protein shakes, consume more calories, etc, bpaa powder, createin, etc.

I'm attempting to reconcile this with the desire to get into (and stay in) ketosis. 

They seem to have conflicting goals.  I was surprised to learn that even protein powder (I have the collagen variety) would kick me out of ketosis.

I'm looking for advice on how to proceed.  As of now, I'm concerned that I'm not supplementing my weight lifting well enough to fully use it and I'm not ketosis either.

Any guidance is  greatly appreciated!

Edit:

In terms of protein shakes: what if I were to swap out protein powder for raw egg whites?

Comments

• Got it.  I've been using collagen protein powder?  Will that work?  And I see a great many products (BCAAs and the like) are sweetened.  Is the sweetener amount negligible to the point that I shouldn't worry about it?

I'd like to start adding protein shakes back into my routine.  It's easy after a workout and sometimes more practical when I'm too busy to worry about fixing a proper meal.

• Also, as I'm not the best at cardio (adding capoeira & jujitsu has helped some) can I lose weight (fat) by putting on muscle?  My thinking is that the more muscle I add, the more fat it will consume for me.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

You do not need lots of protein. You just need adequate amounts. Also not too much at once or you will fall out of keto 30g max per meal.. You as beginner may also consider doing weight loss first and focus on muscle building later.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• First off, congrats on taking these first steps for your health!! You're on the right track coming to the bulletproof forums (assuming you read the book).

How many net-carbs are you averaging per day and how long have you been doing the bulletproof diet for weight-loss?

If you're obese, going on a controlled well-paced ketogenic diet is one of the best things you can do for your health.  Bulletproof diet is also great too.  I was once obese too and now after 3 years of smart eating and exercise, I fluctuate from 10-12% body fat.

Lot's to say but for now, focus on getting your body to "fat-adapt" and less on looking at the scale.  You want your body to think of using your fat as much as possible as an energy source.  I remember the first time I did keto, I actually gained fat the first month (body fat analysis not scale).

Exercise and building muscle will DEFINITELY help with this.  I agree with Jason that adding muscle is great for fat loss and should be incorporated.  That said, many that are obese have problems with insulin resistance and other problems which is why I strongly urge you to focus on the fat-adapting stage and healing the body first.  You can do some weight lifting but I would slowly ramp that up as you get more fat adapted.

If you're going to consume a protein shake after lifting weights, I'd go with a low-carb protein source, like Whey or egg-protein powder and look at the net-carbs on the label. 

Still a newcomer here.  I'm doing BP coffee in the morning with Brain Octain(1 tbsp) & kerrygold butter, no problem there and I usually fast.

I've also started weightlifting to get healthy.  I'm currently an obese 269 lbs (5'6").

With weightlifting there's need push to drink protein shakes, consume more calories, etc, bpaa powder, createin, etc.

I'm attempting to reconcile this with the desire to get into (and stay in) ketosis. 

They seem to have conflicting goals.  I was surprised to learn that even protein powder (I have the collagen variety) would kick me out of ketosis.

I'm looking for advice on how to proceed.  As of now, I'm concerned that I'm not supplementing my weight lifting well enough to fully use it and I'm not ketosis either.

Any guidance is  greatly appreciated!

Edit:

In terms of protein shakes: what if I were to swap out protein powder for raw egg whites?

• If you want to learn more about ketogenic diet and body building I think this interview with a pro body buildier is good.

http://superhumanradio.com/shr-1889-keto-and-bodybuilding.html

Regarding strength training and supplements I think you will find this episode of interest

http://superhumanradio.com/shr-1898-science-for-humans-women-creatine-kineticream.html

Keep in mind both a low carb high protein diet and a low carb high fat ketogenic diet are both in essence "high protein" diets. Lets say you are on 150g protein per day and not in ketosis. This means you might use 100g of protein to produce carbs. The "net" protein your body can use is 50g protein. If you would cut back to 100g and become in ketosis your "net" protein would then be 100g since the need of producing carbs is decreased. You can also go up to 200g protein and also reach a "net" protein of 100g. However, in the letter case on a 200g of protein a day, you are up regulating the enzymes that breaks downs protein to carbs (and the enzymes directly burning the ketogenic amino acids) so if you step down in protein during a cycle you will at first become katabolic since the body is used to chop protein and will then use the musle protein. However, dont panic, give it a week or two and the enzymes will be down regulated to "normal" again. 

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

• Going on that info, have I been shooting myself in the foot by limiting my protein/caloric intake leading to inferior muscle gains?

So, would it be a good idea to for me to attempt a "low carb" without being so strict as to try and achieve ketosis?  

This would allow me to take in more calories required to build muscle and not shy away from protein for fear of dropping out of ketosis.

• edited August 2016

And what kind of carbs should I consume?  How much and when?

PS: This is great!  Thanks for the guidance!

• Any recommended Protein type/brands?  I've seen so many, it's hard to understand what's what.

And should I include BCAA as well?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file