Healthy Weight Gain - What'd Be The Bp Protocol?

I'm following the BP Diet for one year, plus sleep hacks, plus the top 10 supplements, plus the Body by Science protocol. Now I'm weighting 60kg, for a 1.8m guy, with 7% body fat. Dave recommends not being below 15%, and I trully believe I'm too thin. I'd like to gain weight healthly, but I've found no references related to that. Suggestions?

Tagged:

Comments

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭ ✭✭✭

The main idea is to eat like you already did, but more.

If you want to build muscle it's preferable to lift heavy weights, but you'll have to eat even more to compensate for working out (on top of the additional energy to add body mass).

• alexandre.marinhoalexandre.marinho Productive Entrepreneur

Thanks, Walter! It seems doable, but not sustainable, as it'd require my rest-of-life effort to eat more than I can handle on every meal.

To make it easier, would you propose some kind of food that I could just eat a lot after my last meal that would make a difference with less effort. For example: "include as many pastured eggs as you can eat" or "just drink butter until you can"... If I find a 5-minute healthy and easy protocol, the effort may become doable. And I can come back to report my progress. ;-)

Eager to hear back from you!

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭ ✭✭✭

When you feel you can't eat more the easiest step is to eat more energy dense foods, or make foods more dense (blending, cooking, etc.).

Most types of grass fed animals are a good choice (doesn't have to be lean meat), as will butter, ghee, coconut oil, blended with vegetables or protein powders.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭ ✭✭✭

Most high fat foods are very calorie dense, dark chocolate, nuts, butter, coconut oil, you can get thousands of kcal within an hour.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

Thank you, Walter and Reka!

FAT

Almost everything I eat is full of either butter, olive oil or MCT oil. My BP coffee has 4 spoons of butter and 2 of MCT oil. Even my daily avocado has a spoon of MCT. I just choose fat grass-fed beef; occasionally fat pork. So, I could eat more fat just if I start drinking one of these oils. :-)   I'm crazy enough to do so, if you believe I should.

PROTEIN

I have 2 to 4 pastured eggs every day, plus grass-fed beef at lunch. No protein powder. So, it seems that I should start including collagen and whey protein? Where? When?

VEGETABLES

I use to have a lot, and I also have all the supplements in the top 10 list of Dave. Maybe I should have less vegetables and more protein, as they usually fill the plate and give the sensation I'm eating a lot.

STARCH

I don't have much; when I do is at night, or weekends. If I need more body fat, shouldn't I consider eating a bit more of this? Big dilema, as I'm not happy with more sleep. :-)

By the way, I do intermittent fasting. What about start eating a couple eggs too, or doubling my BP coffee dose?

Haapy to be part of this community!

• RekaReka ✭✭✭ ✭✭✭

Definitely eat more starch, too, especially if you want to gain muscle.

Actually, based on what you wrote so far, you don't seem to be eating much. Is all your protein intake the 2-4 eggs and some beef for lunch?

I have BP coffee around 7am.

LUNCH (~1pm):

- one or two eggs + one or two green vegetables in abundance + broccoli or cauliflower + a fair amount of beef (200-300g) + a lot of butter.

AFTERNOON/NIGHT (until ~7pm)

- Coconut + olives + cashews + two eggs (sometimes with cassava flour) + avocado with honey, coconut and MCT. Sometimes I have meet and salad again (much less than in the lunch). Sometimes cassava or pumpkin with butter. Rice pasta on my protein fasting day.

This is, basically, during weekdays, when I have more control (no events...).

I love cassava in any form. I just fear more starch will make me sleep more.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭ ✭✭✭

Having just BP coffee for breakfast limits the amount of calories for that meal and will curb your hunger, so not a good thing in your case. To gain weight you should have a full meal as breakfast (with or without BP coffee, what you prefer). Have at least about 30 grams of protein at breakfast. Your lunch appears OK in terms of energy density, but dinner again is not that much food. Unless of course you have a large amount of the named foods, they appear to be more like snacks.

If you would have a meal like lunch for all three meals you will probably be gaining weight more easily. You might want to look into a high quality protein powder like grass fed whey protein, so you can have a protein shake to add to one of your meals.

Very interesting and reasonable point of view, Walter!

I forgot to mention that my BP coffee also has cocoa powder, cinnamon and guarana powder (I'm in Brazil :-)  ). Around 1 tbl spoon total. I've also tried turmeric and ginger. What if I stuff all these things, plus 4 tbl spoons of butter and 4 tbl spoons of MCT, plus collagen? I'd ratter having a bombastic BP coffee than looking for more things to eat.

We don't have grass-fed whey protein or collagen in Brazil. Should I eat or not?

I'll follow your advise and keep you posted on my progress. ;-)

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭ ✭✭✭

Cacao, cinnamon, guarana, turmeric and ginger are all fine additions, but they don't add much in terms of energy. 4 tablespoons of butter and MCT is a lot of fat, and while that's not a bad thing in itself, in that amount and without anything else it will probably give you digestive issues. I would not have more than 2 tablespoons of MCT oil, and only more than 2 tablespoons of butter if you're going to eat something with it. For instance, if you make a large dinner every evening, you can have the leftovers the next morning.

Don't forget, the BP diet with BP-style intermittent fasting was designed to help people that tend to eat too much to lose weight (not gain) and improve overall health. You are already lean with 60kg and 7% bodyfat, which means you tend to eat too little instead of too much. Instead of curbing hunger (with BP coffee) you need the opposite. So I'd still suggest you look into a full meal as breakfast, or at least eat a lot more at lunch and dinner.

Whey is not necessary, it's nothing more than a convenient way to get protein.

Wow, how great is this community! Walter and Reka, could you explain more of your work as coaches? What are your current challenges and how can I best serve you? Please, let me know how to support the great service you do to this community. I believe I can help you.

1) What is the bad side of having more MCT, given that my body has already adapted to fat (no disaster pants)?

2) Ok, including eggs (with more butter and, maybe, pork belly) in the morning, so that I can keep the 4 spoons of butter. I already have 4 spoons with no noticeable digestive issues.

3) As the BP protocol limits what I can eat, practical things such as the whey and collagen could be helpful for not failing in the routine. Having only eggs and beef for protein, with these quantities, seems unsustainable for life. But.... We have no protein powders from grass-fed cows over here (Brazil didn't let me import neither). Any suggestions to overcome this dilema?

4) What about the protein fasting day? Do the benefits surpass the less dense meals in my case?

5) And, most important, tell me what's missing in your business to see how I can help you. :-)

• RekaReka ✭✭✭ ✭✭✭

Hi. Thank you for your kind words, actually I'm not a coach, just a random forum member. :)

If you feel up to it, you can keep the 4 spoons of butter, AND eat breakfast, after all, BPC is just liquid and therefore not as satiating as solid meal. If you are used to the MCT amount you can keep that too, why not. You said above you wouldn't mind gaining some fat% also, so you can keep fat as high as you can consume.

Even if not grass fed, some kind of whey protein must be available in Brazil. Just get what is available, don't worry if it's not grassfed.

I don't protein fast, and I definitely wouldn't do it if I tried to gain, but you may be looking for other benefits. Actually I don't see that much point to it, I'm not convinced that it has the benefits of a full fast.

Great advise! Ok, I already started testing my limits, adding more protein to my breakfast. I'll find a place for whey too.

The main indicator for me isn't weight, but productivity, being more alert, sleep less healthly. I'm also experimenting with more starch at night, but I'm afraid this part won't help me in sleeping less.

What do you think?

• RekaReka ✭✭✭ ✭✭✭

No idea but it will certainly help you sleep better. Also if you eat more you will probably have more energy and maybe need less sleep instead of more.