How Should I Reset My Gut?

edited December 2014 in General Discussion
I had just started reading Bulletproof Diet when I landed in the ER with appendicitis. One week later (and minus one rather infected appendix) I have nearly completed the book and want to begin the 'two week protocol'.

While I'm the hospital I was given several units of IV antibiotics and was given a prescription for an oral antibiotic when I left. I just took the last of the oral and I am excited to begin the protocol.

Any recommendations as to whether I should use a probiotic and, if so, which is best given my situation would be best would be very much appreciated
Tagged:

Comments

• Bulletproof ModBulletproof Mod Welcome to the Forums mod
    edited January 2015
    Welcome to the Bulletproof forum, Chazman! If you don't get any responses from forum members, try searching the forum for "probiotics" or "gut dysbiosis" or something similar. You might find your answers in a thread alreasdy. Also, one of our forum members is a wealth of information for gut-related issues and magnesium supplementation: http://fixyourgut.com/

Hope this helps!

Regards,

BP Moderator
  • John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

As much as I love the BP diet the increased reports of appendicitis seem to stem from one flaw that can be easily remedied, WITH SCIENCE! Ok, so generally MCT oil gives new people disaster pants. After a few days the body over-adjusts and people become somewhat constipated (same mechanism for laxatives causing appendicitis.) Combine this with the microbiome shift from the new diet and BAM! Bacteria colonize the appendix in great numbers, fecal matter backs up, and appendicitis happens.

So when you start the bulletproof diet take it easy on the MCT oil, fat intake, use betaine hcl and lipase if needed, and use a squatty potty. If you become constipated cut back on the fat, and incorporate low doses of magnesium hydroxide, water, salt. and vitamin C to loosen stools to produce non diarrhea bowel movements. NO PROBIOTICS, when you first start as well let your gut adjust.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• It's a bit late for you, but recently I read that appendicitis can be dealt with by using castor oil, as it is simply stuck.... crap.

It's a handy little organ to have. You may have issues with infections post removal.

• It's a bit late for you, but recently I read that appendicitis can be dealt with by using castor oil, as it is simply stuck.... crap.

It's a handy little organ to have. You may have issues with infections post removal.

I know this is an old post but castor oil used topically over the appendix area or drinking it? Or both?