looks like Dave is still on the desiccated thyroid (Oct 2016)...

dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in Gangster Banter

from reading the transcript of the recent podcast 'Solving the Hypothyroid Epidemic with Elle Russ – #353' https://blog.bulletproof.com/elle-russ-353/
i get the impression that Dave will keep taking desiccated thyroid for the rest of his life (currently taking Westhroid)... ie. it does not sound like he has any plans to get off it.
He does mention that he has (or had) Hashimoto's.

here is a little bit of the transcript:
"
Dave: Okay. That could have been it. What I do now, that’s been stable for years, I do westhroids. I do a grain … one grain in the morning, which is a natural mix of T4 and T3. Then, I do a quarter grain at night, which is way less than I used to take. I’m probably down 75% from my max dose. My Hashimoto’s antibodies are gone, but I still have slightly deficient thyroid function. I feel pretty damn good, to be honest.

Elle: Well, you know, maybe you need a quarter grain increase somewhere.

Dave: Yeah. I could play around with it.
"

& re the Hashimoto's, "Dave: I did have Hashimoto’s. It’s gone now. "

fake it till you make it

Tagged:

Comments

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I'm getting more and more convinced that HFLC decreases thyroid function considerably. Accidentally, I just received a prescription for (unfortunately only) T4 because I'm also hypothyroid. But I hope that changing up my macros willalso help with it.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

Paul Jaminet has written a fair bit about low carb and thyroid function in the past,
    Here are a couple of posts from 2011,
    http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/09/high-ldl-on-paleo-revisited-low-carb-the-thyroid/
    &
    http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/11/safe-starches-symposium-dr-ron-rosedale/

fake it till you make it

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Also check out Stevo's experiment with extra amounts of butter and eggs and the huge increase in TSH.

Who's Stevo ?

fake it till you make it

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Forum member, his thread is somewhere in the personal biohacking thread.
    I'm aware that many paleo people cite low T3 and slow metabolism as a good thing. If they just tried out what I'm experiencing EVERY morning they would soon change their opinion.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

back then we were just laughing at it, my opinion changed a lot based on what happened to me since then :D

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Seriously, " reverse T3 is increased, as this is a normal, healthy, physiologic mechanism "??? I bet that Rosedale never experienced what that's like. There is no way that someone actually experiencing the constant freezing, terrible exhaustion and fat gain would call it normal and healthy. Are these people deliberately giving out advice that ruins other's quality of life or are they really this stupid?

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

By this, I don't mean Dave of course, and definitely not the Jaminet's whose work I respect a lot, but that Rosedale and those others who claim that hibernation is actually good for you. It may earn you a few extra years, but with the horrible quality of life it's causing, it only extends a state of vegetation.

Rosedale reckons, that if his diet is implemented correctly, then TSH does not go up, in fact he says it may go down.
    I'm presuming he has patient data to back this up (?).
    He does say that T3 (& FT3) will go down, but says this is a good thing...

fake it till you make it

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

If T3 goes down and THS doesn't go up that mean that the feedback loop is damaged. And he says that's a good thing... no comment.

I can imagine Rosedale conversing with his patient like this:
    "Oh so your body temperature decreased by another degree, isn't that wonderful? What, you are freezing all the time? Don't worry about it, put another cover on! Actually it's lucky that you don't have the energy anymore to climb out of bed, isn't it? Now you can stay under the warm covers all the time. What, that you should get out of bed because of your job? You don't need to work, your metabolism is already so slow you only need 500 kcal, and soon you will need even less, you really don't need a job to pay for that little food. Yes I saw you gained two sizes already, don't worry, it's just inflammation.... well you are right, there is also fat, but this only means you are in fat burning mode! Or, well, fat storing mode, but it's fat mode and not carb, that's what matters!"

God this guy really raised my cortisol today. :D