Superoxide Dismutase (Sod)

Has anyone had experience with taking supplements that increase SOD?  I was talking to a biologist yesterday who swears that it has powerful anti-aging properties.  He cited some animal studies where the lab animals lived twice as long when they had increased levels of Superoxide Dismutase.  

I vaguely remember learning about it in medical school, but that's about the extent of my knowledge.  He told me that the supplement he takes is called "Cell Guard" from Bio Tec Foods (on Amazon).  Says he takes 3 tabs per day.

I was hoping someone here had tried it, or had some knowledge they could share.

Thanks,

Gabe

Tagged:

Comments

• Gabe, Cell Guard looks just short of poison to me.  For the upregulation of SOD1, why not use luteolin flavanoids stacked with resveratol?

• My personal antioxidant stack is NAC + resveratrol + vitamin C (and I love it). I am a little skeptical about the "SOD" as well, but I'm open minded just enough to be curious. Thanks Jason.
  • edited November 2014

Did that biologist notice any difference from the Cell Guard?   If so, what exactly did he notice?

I used to take a Swanson Vitamins supplement that had catalase (also had glisodin SOD Superoxide Dismutase Complex and small amount of reduced glutathione.  I had taken SOD and glutathione separately and never noticed too much.  When I took this complex (double dose I think) I still didn't notice much but I DID notice a decrease in my gray grey hair.  Not much, but still.  I think it was the catalase (which happened to be fungal from Aspergillus niger).

INGREDIENTS FOR CELL GUARD:

Description

• Superoxide Dismutase
    • Induction with Catalase, Glutathione Peroxidase and Methionine Reductase
    • Dietary Supplement
    • No Gluten
    • Nature's ISP Miracle

Cell Guard is the first supplement clinically proven to reduce oxidative stress by signaling the body's genes to increase production of its own protective antioxidant enzymes. This unique complex increases endogenous Superoxide Dismutase (SOD), and its related catalase (CAT), methionine reductase (MET) and a selenioorganic compound that mimics glutathione peroxidase (GPx).

Suggested Use

First 2 weeks: Take 5 caplets per day upon arising with water on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before eating. Thereafter, 3 caplets per day or as directed by your health care practitioner. Water is important, be sure to drink 8 glasses of pure water daily. 

Other Ingredients

Stearic acid, silicon dioxide, ethlcellulose.

Contains: soy, wheat, corn. 

Supplement Facts  Serving Size: 3 caplets    Amount Per Serving %DV

IsoSproutPlex  Proprietary Blend glycine max, zea mays, t. turigidum durum  1950 mg  *

Vitamin B-12 (cyanocobalamin)  30 mcg  500%

Glutathione Peroxidase (mimic)  30 mcg  *

Lunasin (chromatin binding peptide) 65 mg

* * Daily Value not established.

CELL GUARD PLUS

Description

• 100 % Live Food
    • Concentrated 'Live Food'
    • Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) and Catalase (CAT)
    • With Beta-Carotene Rich Blue-Green Algae
    • Dietary Supplement

Cells Guard Plus combines 80% IsoSproutPlex with 20% Pacific Sea Plasma. Each caplet contains concentrated plant polyphenols, flavones, mixed carotenoids and other phytonutrients, B-vitamins, GLA and essential amino acids. Our low temperature drying processes preserve probiotic nutritional factors. Cell Guard Plus supports a healthy appearance and is the preferred formula for beauty and skin-care applications. To support healthy joints, use our original Cell Guard formula. 

Suggested Use

First 2 weeks: Take 5 caplets per day upon arising with water on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before eating. Thereafter, 3 caplets per day or as directed by your health care practitioner. Water is important, be sure to drink 8 glasses of pure water daily. 

Other Ingredients

Chlorophyll, stearic acid, silicon dioxide, ethlcellulose

Contains: soy, wheat, corn

Gluten Free

Supplement Facts Serving Size: 3 Caplets    Amount Per Serving %Daily Value

IsoSproutPlex Proprietary Blend:Glycine max, zea mays, t. turgidum durum 1560 mg  *

Pacific Sea Plasma (spirulina platensis)  390 mg  *

Glutathione Peroxidase (selenio-organic mimic)  30 mcg  * Vitamin B-12 (cyanocobalamin) 30 mcg  500% 

Vitamin E (d-alpha tocopheryl acetate)  30 IU  100%  * Daily Value Not Established

• Thanks. The biologist said it made him feel younger, more resilient, and he generally takes anti-oxidants because he believes in their strong anti-aging properties. Fairly generic, I know. Not sure I'm ready to change up my own routine just yet based on that, but I'd like to do some digging on the SOD research.

• Gabe, Cell Guard looks just short of poison to me.  For the upregulation of SOD1, why not use luteolin flavanoids stacked with resveratol?

Jason, I haven't looked at all the Cell Guard (or Cell Guard Plus) ingredients, but why do you say it looks like poison?

• Ceralin by Metagenics looks like a good product to try.  Especially for those of us who have MTHFR gene mutations. 

• Make some black garlic - you'll need a rice cooker that has a warm setting. You need to cook the garlic in the rice steamer for 16 days at low temperature (it stinks to begin with).  It is very high in SOD.  A colleague of mine's husband cured his gout by taking it. He was eating a bulb a day (not a clove - the whole bulb).  There are some studies on it's ability to increase SOD and glutathione levels.

Chaga mushroom tea also contains SOD 

• I've had a number of Life Vantage people come to me with their "Protandim" supplement, which supposedly increases SOD. 

I've declined.

• edited May 2015

Has anyone had experience with taking supplements that increase SOD?  I was talking to a biologist yesterday who swears that it has powerful anti-aging properties.  He cited some animal studies where the lab animals lived twice as long when they had increased levels of Superoxide Dismutase.  

I vaguely remember learning about it in medical school, but that's about the extent of my knowledge.  He told me that the supplement he takes is called "Cell Guard" from Bio Tec Foods (on Amazon).  Says he takes 3 tabs per day.

I was hoping someone here had tried it, or had some knowledge they could share.

Thanks,

Gabe

There are simple ways to increase you level of SOD. I had my bachelor thesis about it. You can try Alpha Lipoic Acid + Acetyl L Carnitine. It was shown that it does wonders for anti- mitochondrial oxidation.

Also..it has been shown that green tea can increase the levels of SOD. 

Q10 co-enzyme has the same properties..meaning interfering with reactive oxigen species production (ROS). Reactive oxigen species formation theory is a theory of many.... of why we age.  

It's about the electron transport chain that produces ATP for energy.

Things are extremely complicated, with EXTREMELY complicated metabolic pathways. 

No one really understands them..

• The antioxidant enzyme Cu/Zn (Copper-Zinc) superoxide dismutase-1 (SOD1) is encoded in chromosome 21. in Humans when there are 3 copies of this chromosome (trisomy) is what we call Down's Syndrome.

My daughter has Down's Syndrome, the extra copy of the chromosome 21 makes her have an over expression of the SOD1. It catalyses the dismutation of superoxide anions to hydrogen peroxide, which may lead to the increased production of active oxygen, in other words, SOD converts oxygen radicals to hydrogen peroxide and water which in theory it's a good thing.

However if SOD activity increases disproportionately (like in the over-expression of people with Down's Syndrome) to the enzyme responsible for removal of hydrogen peroxide glutathione peroxidase the cells might suffer from a peroxide damage.

I am not entirely sure if these effects can be extrapolated to the general population, but in theory too much SOD1 will drain your body of Zinc which might mess your thyroid gland function.

I am not entirely sure how this can help humans though there are some conflicting studies that suggest some life-extending effects, at least on flies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8108730

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4159680/

A Biologist who never worked as one.