Ldl Cholesterol Levels Using Ghee Instead Of Butter

Hi folks, I am totally new to the forums, but want to start off with a basic question.  

Does anyone know if using grassfed ghee (whether bulletproof brand or otherwise) has a different impact on LDL (and other markers) than grassfed unsalted butter?  Specifically, if you've used just (or primarily) ghee, what have been your levels?

I am in week 2 of the diet and am doing well and don't anticipate any LDL issues.  I should also mention I'm already in "shape," and am really just trying to up my game as a runner while enjoying a diet that is favourable for type-2 diabetics like myself.

Thanks in advance!

Tagged:

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Interesting question.

I don't know the answer,

But as long as the actual fat intake was the same between the two (butter & ghee), I would think that the effect on blood cholesterol would be the same.

The main difference between the two is water, at around 18% by weight.

So if you were going by the same serving sizes, you would end up with a higher fat intake from the ghee.

fake it till you make it

• Thank you for posting a reply, Daz.

In that case, I suppose I ought to monitor my cholesterol consumption--since I'd at least like to keep my LDL stable. That said, it seems to me that it shouldn't be that hard to keep under 300mg on the BP diet. 

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

In that case, I suppose I ought to monitor my cholesterol consumption--

? I don't follow, I did not mention dietary cholesterol

fake it till you make it

• Oopps. Sorry. I ran off that reply a bit too quickly (lots happening here) and a few thoughts got jammed together.  But thank you for your reply!

• Hello! I used to have high LDL cholesterol and blood pressure but when I started using Bulletproof it all gone back to normal. I had another medical check and my LDL cholesterol was high again . Im thinking that the culprit this time is the butter Im using. Before I used ghee butter and then I switched to Anchor unsalted ( grass fed ) butter because I thought its the same thing and because its cheaper. Is the butter Im using now is really the cause of my high LDL cholesterol?...

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

@Edge0324 said:
    Hello! I used to have high LDL cholesterol and blood pressure but when I started using Bulletproof it all gone back to normal. I had another medical check and my LDL cholesterol was high again . Im thinking that the culprit this time is the butter Im using. Before I used ghee butter and then I switched to Anchor unsalted ( grass fed ) butter because I thought its the same thing and because its cheaper. Is the butter Im using now is really the cause of my high LDL cholesterol?...

That would be an amazing find. Let me/us know if that turns out to be true.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• I have an LDL that fluctuates between 120 and 200... in generally depending on how bulletproof I eat. Over the past two years, I notice finer tweaks. Seems damaged oils is a major contributor. LDL is a response to inflamation in the body... so this makes sense to me. Your question is interesting... if you think about the difference between butter in ghee... I think another difference is that ghee has seen heat. Although it is reported to be able to handle the heat without oxidizing, I wonder if your LDL change might be in response to some small amount of damaged fats present in the ghee. TOTAL speculation! But thought I'd share my thoughts.