Bulletproof - Lessons Learned

I see a lot of questions from women that are not losing / or gaining weight on the BP diet. And then I also see some great responses. I am one of those that is not losing but it hasn't been long for me and I also have some ideas what may not be working, so I am constantly re-adjusting. I thought I'll create a post where we can just share some of the things with the other women that are working and that are definitely NOT working for us. Even if they are hunches. But it may give some of us some ideas of things to adjust.
So - I want to start with saying that I am a huge believer in this diet. I have never felt so great in my life. Even with coffee, which i didn't used to drink because it made me feel jittery.
But - I am also frustrated. I have never eaten so little in my life and remained so stagnant.
I was on the Slow Carb Diet before this and lost 11 lbs in 5 weeks. Gained it all back on croissants in France (3 weeks)
Now I don't eat Breakfast and cant seem to lose more than 5 lbs.

I can add details later but don't want to bore everyone with my meals, but basically I follow the IF and eat only between 2-8pm. My biggest meal is lunch because I work out after work from 6-7.30pm and its too late to eat after that. I dont track calories or P/C/F ratios, but i do keep a journal of days/times I eat, exercise and how I feel.

So here are a few things I feel are NOT working for me and could be the culprit for not losing weight:

• I might be eating too much protein and not enough fat. I am not sure how I can change this and maybe I am afraid to introduce more fat into my diet. I had a couple of weeks where I think I went into Ketosis. I was dizzy and felt weak. I had to sit down. I am also not sure I want to be in Keto. It doesnt really matter - I just want to lose fat. My DEXA scan showed 26% Bodyfat and I want to be below 15%. Looking for suggestions from women that are successful with their Protein/Fat ratio. My meals are usually 50% meat /seafood and 50% low carb veggies. I cook with fat and the meat has fat, but not sure what else I can do other than sipping MCT oil in the afternoon.
  • I fall of the wagon very consistently every week, usually on Fridays. I think this is mostly mental - its Friday, I feel great, I made it through he week - and suddenly I consider the candy jar. And before you know it, its 4pm, I had all sorts of things that come in colorful wrappers and i am on a complete sugar crush. Eating clean all week has made me very sensitive to sugar. Saturday AM is weight day. The Friday crash may affect the scale. I try to tackle it - but every week I fail for some reason.
  • Portion control. See below. I think its an issue. Learning to stop when full.
  • Combining this diet with exercise. I work out intensely. I am weight training and doing HIIT. I love it. Its not something I HAVE to do, its part of my life. Weight training has changed my body in subtle ways - defined shoulders and back, firmer glutes and legs. I love the results and recommend it to all women. But - I cant get rid of the little belly pouch and the fat around my thighs. I WANT to see those ABS one day. All this work I am putting in is not paying off because of something I am doing wrong with my diet. Since I work out in the evening, I try to eat between 2-3pm. Even when i am not hungry - i feel i have to eat to have energy for the gym. On weekends I work out in the mornings (in fasting mode) and prefer that and see why its recommended. Because I end up eating less on those days. Usually one meal will suffice. But during the week, the schedule just doesn't allow me to work out in the morning. Anyone else with this issue?

Here are some things I have learned that work well for me:

• Stay consistent. I used to bounce back and forth between weekdays and weekends. During the week my meals are prepped ahead of time and I eat / exercise the same time Mo-Fri. I realized its best to stick with the same routine on weekends. I work out at different times, but I try to keep the same feeding window. Yes it sucks - no brunch with friends. But I schedule dinners instead ;-)
  • Overeating during the feeding phase. Very easy. Finally eating time. We feel great and we feel we can eat a little extra. Not true. Someone said it on one of the other posts - we still have to watch calorie intake. I dont count them and never will, but I need to be very in tune with my body and STOP EATING WHEN FULL. And full is basically the first time you put the fork down and consider that you are done. When i continue because there are only 2 bites left, I can easily feel stuffed and that is an indication that it was to much.
  • NUTS!!!!! My biggest downfall. I dont keep any other fall-off-the-wagon foods at home. Dark chocolate and nuts. Those are my treats. and usually at night. I dont eat dinner. I only have a protein shake after work-out. And when I do this consistently for a few days, I feel the weight dropping. But as soon as I eat after 8pm, I a) cannot control the portions and eat to many nuts and b) i dont see results. So I think its best to create rules around downfall foods such as nuts and chocolate. I am currently testing to only eat them on weekends / special occasions. Too many calories.

Would love to hear what works for others and what you have discovered doesnt work.

Comments

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Hi Janine,

I think it would be useful to track what you're eating for a few months at least, to see what you are doing exactly. Cronometer or Myfitnesspal are good for this, and they also track how much and what you move, which may or may not be accurate regarding kcal burn.
    My metabolism was always slow despite the huge amount of muscle I have, and high fat dieting just made me store fat, there was no way to burn up all that unnecessary fat I was eating. Low carb ruined my energy levels and probably messed up with my hormones, currently I'm barely making any cortisol anymore. Females are more sensitive hormone-wise and do much worse on low carb than men. That dizzy and weak feeling while you are "adapting" to keto, all reflects the extra hard work forced onto your adrenals. Caffeine and fasting together forces the body to produce more cortisol which will backfire on a long term. Also being low carb induces insulin resistance (because the brain wants a lot of glucose, and as soon as its supply ceases, cortisol will prevent the muscles to take in glucose in order to spare it all for the brain, therefore muscle cells will become resistant to insulin), and when the person can't do it anymore and tries to reintroduce carbs they will have all kinds of problems, then they decide carbs are evil indeed because they feel worse on them. Add to this the downregulation of thyroid function. So I would not go that way if I could start it again. Eating just fat and little else, or only eating at certain times doesn't have any extra effect that could overwrite calorie equation. On the short term it may give more energy, due to heightened cortisol levels, but that becomes really devastating after a few years.
    I think the best to do is weight training and intense workouts (I had to cut back on those because my cortisol levels are not even enough to support that, and as you also love working out you know how terrible it is to not be able to do so, I can't wait to heal back up enough to afford myself a hard and longer workout but it will be around a year from now :( ), coupled with enough carbs to keep your body satisfied, glycogen stores full and blood glucose stable and thyroid at full speed. At least for a long term approach.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Hi Reka
    Thanks for your feedback. Sounds like the BP diet did not work for you. Makes me sad to hear. I am super-motivated after this TG weekend (and a few to many carbs) to get back on.
    I have felt this dizziness you mentioned. After ~1wk of low carb I am usually there. But I have to say that I like it. I am in a state of complete mental alertness. I feel my body working - burning - alive. Its a great feeling.
    I also replen my carbs on weekends. Mo - Fri is pretty strict. Sat/Sun I usually cut down on the fat and have more veggies. Lately I made some sweet potato for dinner on weekends on purpose - to get healthy carbs.
    Did you do a carb refeed?
    Did you lose weight during your diet? You said you did this for years?
    My workouts suffer to the extend that I am not able to last as long as normal. However, I would like to cut my workout time in general. I currently spend 90min at the gym and would like to get out after an hour (20min HIIT + 40min weights). I enjoy working out but I also would like to tackle other projects that I currently don't have time for.
    I track the times I eat and what I eat in a general sense. My meals are pretty consistent. What gets out of hand are the snacks - its easy to lose track after grabbing a handful of almonds 3 times in a row. That is why I decided against snacks during the week.
    IF for me is normal now. I am simply not hungry anymore until about 1-2pm. Even over the holiday weekend I skipped breakfast. The feeding phase is what i need to watch apparently, because even without breakfast, I still cannot shed the pounds.
    I am still boggled that I have such a hard time dropping the weight. Even with IF.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

@Janine1 said:
    ..., I still cannot shed the pounds.
    I am still boggled that I have such a hard time dropping the weight. Even with IF.

Since you are struggling with your current strategies, you need to try something different,
    Which is, you really need to know what your calorie intake looks like.

So track a few typical days using a tracking web site or app, like cronometer.com or myfitnesspal,

& see if that sheds any new light on things

fake it till you make it

• Thanks - will follow the tracking advice. But then one question remains - what about not worrying about calories and pouring oil over everything like Dave suggests on this website and in the book? Calorie intake apparently does matter. Even if I only eat fats ....
    And i already know that monitoring calories will involve calorie restriction which means going hungry. Another thing the diet claims wont happen.

edited November 2016

It should be noted, for perspective,
    at the time the book was written, Dave was using testosterone and desiccated thyroid.
    He still takes the desiccated thyroid (currently taking Westhroid).

Refs:
    https://blog.bulletproof.com/what-i-learned-from-taking-testosterone-for-a-decade/

https://blog.bulletproof.com/elle-russ-353/ "Solving the Hypothyroid Epidemic with Elle Russ – #353"

fake it till you make it

edited November 2016

@Janine1 said:
    ... Calorie intake apparently does matter. Even if I only eat fats ....

imo, yes, calories do matter, whatever the macro breakdown.

tho most(?) people would struggle to over eat (or over absorb) fats/oils, in a HFLC diet, due to steatorrhea

fake it till you make it

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

@Janine1
    Protein below 30g per meal. Try that.
    When in keto you should feel less hungry. So eat one plate with veggies and 20-30g protein per meal and have a bp coffee twice per day. You can even have breakfast. I feel better with some protein in the morning sometimes and you can fall out of keto from too much green veggies... If you go for the candy jar throw it out of the window. What I do I actually go for carbs on friday evening and saturdays. It makes me feel better for training on saturday morning...

However exercising a lot and intensively on keto is dangerous and most people here would not recommend that.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Janine1Janine1
    edited November 2016

:D The candy jar is not mine - its smack in the center of the office for everyone to see. And when someone opens / closes it with that huge heavy glass lid, everyone hears it. Even just hearing that noise triggers my brain to want candy .... again - only on Fridays. But your advice is not a bad thought. Maybe by Friday I am ketoed out and need some carbs. I am usually very good Monday - Thursday and have no cravings.
    Cannot do coffee twice per day. the morning is enough. I am sensitive as it is. Green tea keeps me busy the rest of the day.
    So you are saying to basically eat more veggies - reduce meat and fill up with more veggies? What about fat? I sometimes take a sip of XTC oil when i am hungry or feel weak.
    And yes - you are right - I feel less hungry when following BP. Sometimes I eat just because I need to have fuel for my workout, not because i am hungry.
    What about evening snack after workout and before bed? I go nuts on nuts and dont think its good for me ... but I feel to drained if i dont eat anything. Some fruit maybe? :|

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

@Janine1 said:
    Hi Reka
    Thanks for your feedback. Sounds like the BP diet did not work for you. Makes me sad to hear. I am super-motivated after this TG weekend (and a few to many carbs) to get back on.
    I have felt this dizziness you mentioned. After ~1wk of low carb I am usually there. But I have to say that I like it. I am in a state of complete mental alertness. I feel my body working - burning - alive. Its a great feeling.
    I also replen my carbs on weekends. Mo - Fri is pretty strict. Sat/Sun I usually cut down on the fat and have more veggies. Lately I made some sweet potato for dinner on weekends on purpose - to get healthy carbs.
    My workouts suffer to the extend that I am not able to last as long as normal. However, I would like to cut my workout time in general. I currently spend 90min at the gym and would like to get out after an hour (20min HIIT + 40min weights). I enjoy working out but I also would like to tackle other projects that I currently don't have time for.
    I track the times I eat and what I eat in a general sense. My meals are pretty consistent. What gets out of hand are the snacks - its easy to lose track after grabbing a handful of almonds 3 times in a row. That is why I decided against snacks during the week.
    IF for me is normal now. I am simply not hungry anymore until about 1-2pm. Even over the holiday weekend I skipped breakfast. The feeding phase is what i need to watch apparently, because even without breakfast, I still cannot shed the pounds.

Hi. Yes I did carb refeeds regularly, around every 5th day. I gained weight during BP, and while some of it was muscle, most was fat. Actually during the strict BP it was mostly fat, and after I was fed up and loosened up and cut some fat intake I started gaining muscle too. But I don't need even one gram of this extra weight, I had been pretty muscular before already.
    Initially I had the same alertness and feelings you describe. It was the cortisol going very high, and later on as I became more and more exhausted I only got this good feeling when I worked out really hard, I needed more and more stimulation to feel alive and that weakened my adrenals further. Now my cortisol is very low and I experienced very unpleasant personality changes in the past years too. I just don't want that anyone else ends up like this, thinking that they are doing the right thing for their health. On the other hand I know that the HFLC approach seems to work for years for some people, more for men than women. All I'm saying is, track how you feel and how your body changes, and if it's slowly deteriorating, stop what you are doing. The BP approach itself changed and evolved in the past (from the initial do't count kcal just eat tons of fat and not much else and that will take care of everything) and I hope it will continue to do so.

@Janine1
    You can do bulletproof tea instead of coffee or put in less beans. I am sensitive as well...

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Janine1Janine1
    edited December 2016

Thanks @DMan and @Reka for replies.
    Makes me sad to hear the diet affected you so negatively. I am getting a little frustrated too. In order to maintain my level of exercise, I feel I need more fuel. Yesterday I was totally drained and could not go to gym. And the f****ing belly fat remains so stubborn and wont go away. Shoulders and back are getting toned. My squat weight is slowly increasing. But my belly fat wont go. My thighs are holding on to it as well.
    Maybe I am too impatient, but I am at a loss. I did better on the slow carb diet where I ate lentils for breakfast and had a cheat day every week. My workouts were better too. Now I dont eat breakfast and no starches with lunch and the fat stays. Makes me think I need resistant starches in my diet.

@Janine1

I REPEAT WORKING OUT INTENSIVELY SEVERAL TIMES A WEEEK WHILE BEING VERY LOW IN CARBS IS WHAT MOST PEOPLE HERE CONSIDER AS BAAAAAAAAAAAAD. NOT BULLETPROOOOOF

You will probably run into adrenal fatigue.

Please go to the bulletproofing the athlete thread or try something like loose belly fat first and gain muscle later.

You should also have at least one carb refeed every week on BP as well. But not eating crappy carbs and expecting to loose weight from that!!!!

26% bodyfat is healthy for a woman.

50% seafood and 50% sounds like too much protein if you wanna be in ketosis.

Sipping XCT does nothing. It needs to be brain octane if you want to support ketosis. And for half the people this does not work either. At least they feel nothing from it. Like me. Which is why you can use XCT. But not as keto booster. Just as regular fat source.

Of course you will feel crappy like this.

Whatever you're doing. You are not doing it right and I will not pitty you. You need to man up and start fixing yourself! Either eat some more carbs and less fat or do real keto and do not stress your body. Go to the thread mentioned above. Calculate your macros.

I'm out.

How much to eat:

• Thanks for the comments. Just read this but did some thinking Friday and came to the same conclusion that I am probably eating too much protein. Protein also converts to carbs so it makes sense that i am not losing.
    Will modify. Thanks for the tough love!

• @Janine1 said:
    Thanks @DMan and @Reka for replies.
    Makes me sad to hear the diet affected you so negatively. I am getting a little frustrated too. In order to maintain my level of exercise, I feel I need more fuel. Yesterday I was totally drained and could not go to gym. And the f****ing belly fat remains so stubborn and wont go away. Shoulders and back are getting toned. My squat weight is slowly increasing. But my belly fat wont go. My thighs are holding on to it as well.
    Maybe I am too impatient, but I am at a loss. I did better on the slow carb diet where I ate lentils for breakfast and had a cheat day every week. My workouts were better too. Now I dont eat breakfast and no starches with lunch and the fat stays. Makes me think I need resistant starches in my diet.

On one of his videos he mentioned that if you exercise (he does very little) you must compensate with your sleep, maybe that is the problem. I know when I exercise I get really hungry, but without exercise I can drink the buttered coffee in the mornings and not be hungry until lunch. I could probably go longer than my usual lunch time, but know by then that I NEED to eat. Still have to refine mine too, just started, and finding nuts irresistible evenings. Have you considered STOPPING exercise for a while and just concentrate on the diet?

By the way, when you cheat on sugars, it takes your body a while to get back into that ketogenic fat-burning mode, so you may be sabotaging yourself every Friday. See if you can eat something PROTEIN or FAT instead of sugar -- go for almonds - maybe you'll maintain the ketogenic state that way.

• @Reka said:

@Janine1 said:
    Hi Reka

Hi. Yes I did carb refeeds regularly, around every 5th day. I gained weight during BP, and while some of it was muscle, most was fat. Actually during the strict BP it was mostly fat, and after I was fed up and loosened up and cut some fat intake I started gaining muscle too. But I don't need even one gram of this extra weight, I had been pretty muscular before already.
    Initially I had the same alertness and feelings you describe. It was the cortisol going very high, and later on as I became more and more exhausted I only got this good feeling when I worked out really hard, I needed more and more stimulation to feel alive and that weakened my adrenals further. Now my cortisol is very low and I experienced very unpleasant personality changes in the past years too. I just don't want that anyone else ends up like this, thinking that they are doing the right thing for their health. On the other hand I know that the HFLC approach seems to work for years for some people, more for men than women. All I'm saying is, track how you feel and how your body changes, and if it's slowly deteriorating, stop what you are doing. The BP approach itself changed and evolved in the past (from the initial do't count kcal just eat tons of fat and not much else and that will take care of everything) and I hope it will continue to do so.

hi Reka, what you said makes sense to me. So pls, what are you eating right now during the day? How many carbs,fat,proteins and when? did you cut coffee out the equation? what about water retention? sorry too much questions. thank you

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

@santi said:

@Reka said:

@Janine1 said:
    Hi Reka

hi Reka, what you said makes sense to me. So pls, what are you eating right now during the day? How many carbs,fat,proteins and when? did you cut coffee out the equation? what about water retention? sorry too much questions. thank you

Hi Santi.

Well my macros are very non-BP currently, and I feel a bit uncomfortable describing it on a BP site, but as long as it can be helpful, why not. I keep fat around 15% of my kcal intake (trying to stay between 20-25 grams of fat and adding oat fiber to meals that contain most of it), protein around 20-25 and the rest is carbs, and I eat frequently in order to prevent getting tired and prevent that my cells are starved. Sometimes I eat dessert for breakfast because I really need to de-stress and make my mornings less terrible. So instead of rushing to work and stressing over the commuting and the job, I take my time in the mornings as well.

I want to cut caffeine but I wasn't able to do it yet because I'm in a total brain fog without it: not only useless at study and work, but also dangerous to myself (so exhausted that I can get into accidents). So cutting caffeine will be a slow process.

So far I haven't lost anything but at least the fat gain seems to have stopped, and I'm eating 500 kcal/day more than before, and instead of working out 10-12 hours per week I only work out around 3 hours per week. I hope that my metabolism will gain more speed if I keep this up. I also take T4 (prescribed), adrenal extracts, glycine and Q10. I also hope to have the energy to work out more but I don't dare to train much at the moment because I'm afraid it can worsen my exhaustion.

Let me also add this article:
    https://rawfoodsos.com/2015/10/06/in-defense-of-low-fat-a-call-for-some-evolution-of-thought-part-1/
    which describes similar interventions to what I am doing currently.

My case can be somewhat special because I already spent around ten years dieting and working out, it can be different for someone who hasn't done that, but I think low carb paired with trainings can put most people in this sad position if they do it for a long enough time. (And there are some hormonal ways through which high fat can slow down metabolism. I ate lots of fat for some years thinking that it would provide healthy fuel to my body and even help in my workouts, but that fat is now sitting on my hips and belly instead.)

• I wonder,if there's anyone here who watches and maybe has worked with Stephanie ' keto' Person?
    She's almost 50 but doesn't look her age imo, but she's been in ketosis for 9 years straigth.

She's the only woman I can think of,who pulls off ketosis (no refeeds) and even manages to look better by the years.
    Or maybe it's mostly the women for whom ketosis didn't work ,which are so vocal about it? (understandably though)
    (I'm just having a really hard time figuring out my own problems and what dietary measures work for me, as I can't afford to seek help)

• thank you Reka