Bone broth diet

I've been considering ordering this book by Dr Kellyanne. I was wondering what others thoughts were on her diet and how it could be worked in with the bp diet. For example, she says to go dairy free and has fasting days-- but no way do I want to be without my bp coffee! In addition, if I don't use her book, where does bone broth fit in to the bp diet and how can it be used to help with weight loss? Where are the best places to get bones? What is the best tasting ready made broth? I live in the DC metro area. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I have been making grass fed beef shanks in the crockpot then I use the bones to make bone broth overnight. I put vegetable scraps in there from dinner the night before and keep everything on low all night. It turns to gel when cooled which means I have lots of collagen. I scoop some gel add hot water and Himalayan salt and sip in the afternoon. It is very relaxing and I notice my hair and skin improving.

• I just finished making my very first batch of beef bone broth from Dave's cookbook. I find that the broth didnt come out as deep brown as it should have. I used Beef Marrow bones and simmered for about 16 hours.....its more of a Golden shade, as if I used chicken bones instead. There is tons of fat as the broth mainly tastes like oils! I am wondering if you guys have any tips to get that nice beefy color and flavor? or did my broth come out as it should? I followed the recipe, but added some onion and did not add the collagen protein or salt yet.

• So, my I think my first attempt at bone broth was an epic fail. I used the crockpot and a recipe I found on Pinterest. I didn't have time to make it properly but I wanted to get it started so I put all 5# of bones I bought online through "from the farmer" into a 6qt crockpot and added plenty of water and went to run errands. When I got home I split the bones into 2 crocks and added water to new one. I added Apple cider vinegar, bay leaf, sprigs of rosemary diced carrots, celery and onion to both. The original pot went on low for like 33hrs and the second for about 28hrs. The smell was awful. The broth has no taste, although salt helps, and its super greasy. I haven't tossed it yet, but it seems something so greasy cannot be good for you. I think where I went wrong was using bones with meat and fat still on them, a little. What do you all think?

• jcg3jcg3 ✭✭✭

I've found a few tricks that seem to work well for beef bone stock...

• Blanch the bones - put them all in a pot, fill up water to be just above the level of the bones, bring it to boil for about 20 minutes. Remove the bones to a roasting pan and discard the water.
    • Roast the bones in the oven - I've done 400 degrees F for 20-40 minutes. The more you roast, the darker the broth turns out. I'm sure you could also roast them over a grill or open flame if that's your preference.
    • Put the bones and any veggie scraps you want into your large pot, fill the water just above the level of the bones (too much water = watered down bone stock). Scrape any bits on the bottom of the roasting pan and add it to the pot too.
    • Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to the lowest setting and allow it to simmer for 24-48 hours, preferably closer to 48 hours.
    • Remove the bones, strain the stock, let it cool down to room temperature

I'll usually limit the veggies so that I get less variation, but a few carrots or celery or onion doesn't hurt. It will change the flavor. I also like to throw in some whole black pepper corns, salt, and obviously some apple cider vinegar to help the bones give up their nutrients.

I'll usually transfer the stock to mason jars and put them in the fridge. Once the fat cools on the top, I'll break it out with a spoon and transfer it to another container, then drink just the bone stock without the fat.

The fat can be used as tallow, if there are any sediments or impurities in the fat, you can heat it and strain it before putting it into its own mason jar.

I used to just drink the bone stock with the fat - that's fine, but it can be a LOT of fat. My GI did not handle it well on more than a few occasions, after that I decided to separate out most of the fat so I could enjoy the stock without worrying.

• jcg3jcg3 ✭✭✭

Oh, and your bone choice matters too. I've used beef knuckles and joints - they turn out best. I've also used bones saved from other cuts of meat, they turn out fine but don't make the bone stock gel as easily.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file