Grass Fed Butter Thread

2»

Comments

• Thanks for the Germany tip, Jan. Schätze aus Österreich looks like it can't be beat for quality. I've been looking in the bio shops around Berlin and none of the butters says anything about the diets of the cows. Do you know of any grass-fed brands that we can buy in Germany, in an actual store? 

• edited October 2014

In Australia I buy the following:

- Westgold Butter ($1.99, from New Zealand, available at Woolworths)

- Organic Times Butter ($6.99, Grass Fed AND Organic, available from most organic and health shops and organic butchers)

EDIT:

Leon Wurfel wrote about the Grass Fed Butter in Australia here: 

http://www.optimoz.com.au/blogs/news/6752684-grass-fed-butter-in-australia

He's also been discussing it in the forums here:

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/509-bulletproof-diet-grass-fed-butter-and-meat-in-australia/

• Thanks for the Germany tip, Jan. Schätze aus Österreich looks like it can't be beat for quality. I've been looking in the bio shops around Berlin and none of the butters says anything about the diets of the cows. Do you know of any grass-fed brands that we can buy in Germany, in an actual store?

Kerrygold is grassfed . You can buy it in most supermarkets and discounters. I buy mine from Netto
  • Thanks. I'll check out Netto's Kerrygold. I was hoping for something more local to Berlin. Brodowin told me that this far north in Germany it is difficult to keep cows strictly on grass and hay, so they grow their own feed/silage for the winter, which includes some soy and grain. 

• Kato - I'm in Thailand as well and if you can find a Makro Market they are only 89 baht there ($2.78)

Here is my shopping cart from this week =) 

10438139_10152441192490866_7742111010593

http://instagram.com/p/uFnRHVv5ea/

• I'm in Quebec, Canada.

This week I bought 12kg from beurrerie l'ancêtre for 255$.

I contacted them earlier this year and while they don't do 100% grassfed, they told me that at the end of the summer the percentage could go up to 80-85%.

934853_10152823910433055_167397179946144

• Canadian "organic meadow" is another mostly grass fed, superstore carries it during summer months its labeled limited edition pasture raised

• High quality organic coconut derived MCT Oil through moi (bulk) at ~$90 CAD/4L (plus shipping) to Canada or the USA :-)

Price drop on larger quantities (20L, 80L, etc) for those who want ample MCT to run their Bulletproof Coffee Shop ;-)

• Does anyone know how to test the butter quality at home? Is this possible?

I've found a difference in how the butter melts.  I have made my own ghee for a few years.  The first time I tried clarifying grass-fed butter in to ghee, I didn't know what to make of it.  I was kind of worried the butter was starting to go bad -- as it first got very soft before slowly melting.  I was expecting the butter to melt steadily like the factory butter did.

• Anyone know where to get Kerrygold unsalted in the UK now that the fuckwits at Tesco seem to have removed it from their shelves and replaced it with Kerrygold spreadable that's mixed with vegetable oil ffs?!!

• Last check Waitrose sell it (along with a really good Insigny butter). It seems to be the only place that does sell it anymore which is annoying as it's quite a trek for me. Having to resort back to salted which is just sacrilege.

• Ah sweet - Will try Waitrose - Sainbury's online stock Kerrygold unsalted too so will call in to one of thier stores to see if they've got it

• edited December 2014

Last check Waitrose sell it (along with a really good Insigny butter). It seems to be the only place that does sell it anymore which is annoying as it's quite a trek for me. Having to resort back to salted which is just sacrilege.

salted butter in BP coffee is actually not that bad tasting, in my opinion

it significantly improved the taste of Open Sesame Coffee when I tried

it, and sometimes it is just a nice change from the daily grind of BP unsalted.

Its sometimes good to use salted butter in the summer months too, when your body craves

salt.

If you want just a bit of salt, try replacing half the amount of your unsalted butter with salted butter.

Hope that sounded snotty enough.

• It would be great to know which one of those sites ships to European countries
  • To all the Canadians seeking Grass Fed butter, there is a new brand of GF butter from "Rolling Meadow" Dairy now available at Loblaws in Toronto. I saw it for the first time today, in the organic/healthfood section.  Not sure how wide distribution is--just TO, or southern Ontario or...?  They are also stocking GF milk (whole, 2% and skim) and plain yogourt from the same dairy. 

Rolling Meadow butter only comes in 250g size, but at $4.99 for 250 grams (slightly more than 1/2 lb) the price is a bit less than Organic Meadow which is $9.99 for a 454g (1 lb) brick.  They have both salted and unsalted which is NOT cultured, unlike the Org. Meadow brand. The colour is about the same, and the taste is very similar, perhaps slightly cleaner, a bit more creamy and a tiny bit less greasy.  Neither package gives the percentage milk fat, but nutritional information is exactly the same except a slightly higher Vitamin A content, which makes sense with different winter diet.  It will be interesting to see if there is a shift in colour and flavour in the spring when all the cows go out to graze.

It should be noted that Organic Meadow is certified organic so goes through all sorts of rigourous inspections and means that the fields that their cows graze must also be organically farmed--no pesticides, no GMO seed.  Although Rolling Meadow is NOT organic, their website states that they do not use pesticides.  It's nice to have a new product available--the grass fed message is getting through!

• so Anchor New Zealand butter good to use for BPC? I have seen that in a couple of supermarkets in Toronto.....

• I also bought some Beurre d'Isgny but I was a little dissapointed in the color. So far I have not seen any butter that have that deep yellow color that I have heard it should have. It is more white than yellow in my opinion. How yellow is it supposed to be? Do anyone have any pictures of how yellow you should look for?

• iamshaziiamshazi
    edited February 2017

Hi,

I'm in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and indeed it's a realy pain getting grass fed butter, here is what i have tried and tested:

• In Montreal, there's a butcher: Boucherie Lawrence, they get butter from PEI (Prince Edward Island) in the eastern part of Canada
      Here's the link for the PEI butter: http://cowscreamery.ca/butter/
      According to their FAQ section (http://cowscreamery.ca/faq/) , it mentions:
      Dairy cows on PEI eat grass, silage, hay, grain, and water. The grain ration varies from farm to farm. Mainly, it would involve barley and corn, but could include oats, wheat, and soybean. Mineral and salt may be added to the grain mix or available as blocks for the cows to lick. Therefore, we cannot say our butter is strictly grass fed; just partially.

I've tested the butter, and the taste is totally off compared to #2 below, i have a lingering waxy aftertaste in my throat for some reason, as is the color of the butter, it is white and waxy, signs that the cow's are more grain-fed then grass-fed (according a few articles, this is what it seems to mean, i'm in no way an expert in the matter lol)

So, i don't really recommend it, but just wanted to put it here so that people can comment on the usefulness of this butter or not
    Here's the address and phone number for Boucherie Lawrence:
    5237 Saint Laurent Boulevard, Montreal, Québec H2T 1S1
    Phone:(514) 277-8880

This butter does have the proper color and the taste is really good, no lingering after taste
    Here's the link for the Wholefoods: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/lansdownepark
    951 Bank Street
    Ottawa, ON K1S 3W7
    Phone: (613) 565-7150

So, yes, i do drive 4hrs (2hrs to go and 2hrs to come back) just to get grass fed butter
    There's no way to order this online, at least i haven't found any yet

I saw that you can probably order the Algau German grass fed butter on amazon.COM, and then i can ship it to the US border (Border mail depot) and go get it, but that seems like a bit of more hassle then driving to Ottawa for me, specially I don't know if the butter will all melt between the time it gets to the warehouse and the time i actually get there to pick it up

• Next on my list: I really want to try the Grass fed ghee from Bulletproof.com but it's only available in the US, so I need to ship it to the border and get it, and I really can't see myself paying over 30$ ($CAD) for ghee though, i'm indian and i've been using this forever!!! i pay 10$ to get 5 times the amount of this grass fed ghee...LOL, but i may just try it once just to compare
      http://www.bulletproof.com/grassfedghee

Hope this helps

Thanks ;)

• Note: i found this website that seems to ship the Bulletproof Grass-fed ghee butter inside Canada:
    http://www.naturalhealthgarden.ca/Bulletproof-Grass-Fed-Ghee-Butter-383g-669100.htm?categoryId=-1

Will try it in a few weeks and let you know how it goes

Thanks

@iamshazi said:
    Hi,

I'm in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and indeed it's a realy pain getting grass fed butter, here is what i have tried and tested:

• In Montreal, there's a butcher: Boucherie Lawrence, they get butter from PEI (Prince Edward Island) in the eastern part of Canada
      Here's the link for the PEI butter: http://cowscreamery.ca/butter/
      According to their FAQ section (http://cowscreamery.ca/faq/) , it mentions:
      Dairy cows on PEI eat grass, silage, hay, grain, and water. The grain ration varies from farm to farm. Mainly, it would involve barley and corn, but could include oats, wheat, and soybean. Mineral and salt may be added to the grain mix or available as blocks for the cows to lick. Therefore, we cannot say our butter is strictly grass fed; just partially.

I've tested the butter, and the taste is totally off compared to #2 below, i have a lingering waxy aftertaste in my throat for some reason, as is the color of the butter, it is white and waxy, signs that the cow's are more grain-fed then grass-fed (according a few articles, this is what it seems to mean, i'm in no way an expert in the matter lol)

So, i don't really recommend it, but just wanted to put it here so that people can comment on the usefulness of this butter or not
    Here's the address and phone number for Boucherie Lawrence:
    5237 Saint Laurent Boulevard, Montreal, Québec H2T 1S1
    Phone:(514) 277-8880

This butter does have the proper color and the taste is really good, no lingering after taste
    Here's the link for the Wholefoods: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/lansdownepark
    951 Bank Street
    Ottawa, ON K1S 3W7
    Phone: (613) 565-7150

So, yes, i do drive 4hrs (2hrs to go and 2hrs to come back) just to get grass fed butter
    There's no way to order this online, at least i haven't found any yet

I saw that you can probably order the Algau German grass fed butter on amazon.COM, and then i can ship it to the US border (Border mail depot) and go get it, but that seems like a bit of more hassle then driving to Ottawa for me, specially I don't know if the butter will all melt between the time it gets to the warehouse and the time i actually get there to pick it up

• Next on my list: I really want to try the Grass fed ghee from Bulletproof.com but it's only available in the US, so I need to ship it to the border and get it, and I really can't see myself paying over 30$ ($CAD) for ghee though, i'm indian and i've been using this forever!!! i pay 10$ to get 5 times the amount of this grass fed ghee...LOL, but i may just try it once just to compare
      http://www.bulletproof.com/grassfedghee

Hope this helps

Thanks ;)