Nice Yerba Mate coffee alternative

edited February 2017 in Bulletproof Coffee

I found a yerba mate blend that makes a very good coffee stand-in, it brews dark and flavorful with a balanced chocolate/earthy flavor. It pairs perfectly with butter and brain octane, and doesn't have that watery consistency I usually get when trying to make bulletproof teas. I generally do Dave's original blend but I've been using this 1-2 times a week. Check it out if you want some variety or as a backup in between shipments of coffee. I brew it at 180 degrees for five minutes, using 3tbsp for ~30oz water (this is for two people, 1-2tbsp would be plenty for one serving). The blend uses a smoked mate if you're concerned about the whole mouth cancer thing, but I believe that concern to be overblown. It also has Siberian ginseng so it's an extra source of adaptogens, although I'm not sure how much you effectively get from brewing and drinking as a tea.

Laboratory support staff by day, personal trainer by night

Comments

• I love yerba mate, it is definitely more of a mild stimulant and lacks the crash associated with coffee. Definitely a staple in my cabinet!

• @bpjane said:
    I love yerba mate, it is definitely more of a mild stimulant and lacks the crash associated with coffee. Definitely a staple in my cabinet!

Yea, I never get a crash from bulletproof, but if I drink the medium-quality coffee they brew at my workplace cafeteria I crash hard every time. I just like to switch it up a few times a week so I don't get bored with coffee or yerba mate. How do you tend to brew yours? I've just been using a french press and I've tried all different times and temperatures and settled on 185 degrees for 5-6 minutes with most yerba mate.

• Seems like I forgot to provide the actual link (MODS, if linking to outside commerce isn't appreciated just let me know), it's this stuff:
    http://www.goyerbamate.com/store/p/759-Salante-Power-Blend-Yerba-Mate-1-lb.aspx