Fertility And Strange Changes

Hi I am a 39 yo woman, trying to conceive and preparing for fertility treatment.  started bulletproof regimen 2 months ago.  Several unusual things that happened since: 1. twice had a close call to fainting: weakness and numbnes in hands and feet and heavy breathing.  both times was at night after taking GABA, magnesium, glutathione and PQQ. 2. once a strange brief heart palpitation followed by a rush of blood to the head. that was afternoon, no supplements that day except bullet proof coffee and tea with brain octain oil.  3. the most concerning one--menstrual cycles became 14 and 17 days.  4. in the initial period (the first month or so) had several nausea instances. 

Any explanation for any of these? None of these things are in any way typical of my medical history.  Any feedback would be much appreciated.  

Comments

• No idea. I would run what your doing by your DR. I had a bunch of this happen before I ever considered the diet. Turned out my Vit D was at 2%. Maybe have them check your levels. A big diet change can easily leave you not covering vitamins in food groups. 

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

What have you changed?

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Hi thanks for the replies. I added bulletproof coffee, all the recommended top 10 supplements plus GABA, 5HTP, stevia. eliminated sugar, wheat and most grains, reduced carbs and fruits.  practice intermittent fasting with BF coffee.  I was wondering if the period problems coudl be related to 5HTP or stevia. the weakness spells to GABA in the natural calm magnesium somehow.  If I go to any dr here they will tell me to stop all this immediately!

• edited July 2015

yes but you can still request them to check your vitamin levels. You could also stop taking all the supplements for a few weeks and add them in one at a time. That could show you if you are reacting to something. Dave him self says you have to do what works for you. People are not cookie cutter beings. Just because these are the suggested supplements doesn't mean you don't need something more. Or less.You wouldn't believe the amount of vitamins you cut out of your diet when you drop wheat. Much less everything else. You have to be careful to add foods back in that replace those lost vitamins. Or add supplements to help. But be careful with supplements as they may not be what they are marked as. Go with a trustworthy supplier. Be careful and try keeping a health diary so you can pinpoint problem areas. With the reactions you are having I would refrain from taking anything new in bunches. Add new things one at a time, do that a week, then you can add another if you don't see a reaction. I most strongly suggest you have your DR check all your levels. If he complains at you tell him to mind his business. Your paying him. Then go off the supplements for a few weeks and add them back one at a time. Its the best I can tell you. 

• let me try. Do you know what specific tests need to be done?

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015

Do you eat enough?

I suggest if you go to a dr. don't tell anything about the supplements. They don't understand. Just do your best to force them to do the tests you need.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Reka, that's probably the only way.  Redring thanks so much for the advice, I will do that, that seems to be easy.  I have changed so many things that it will take several months but it's safer.  

• Reka, I think I eat plenty. I have lost 3 kilos in two months on the bulletproof diet. I am not too skinny.  BMI around 19, but more of a skinny fat I'm afraid.  

• PARKERPARKER
    edited July 2015

Are you drinking enough water and what kind? You might consider looking at Dave's podcast about MTHFR as well. 

• Just a thought, are you getting enough salt?
  • Dear Parker and BMK:  my weight is normal, BMI of 19 but more of a skinny fat, do not work out much.  I did listen to the MTHFR podcast (I have listened to about 150 of Dave's podcasts in the past two months).  I was taking folic acid when these problems happened except the last heart palpitation, but now switched to folate.  I am taking salt with water in mornings, as Dave advises and use himalayan and sea salt to taste during the day.  I don't drink too much water, maybe too little. Water I drink is either bottled in plastic (can't avoid it) or filtered (pureeffects ultra desinfect filter).  thanks so much for the feedback.  I have added dona gate's priobiotic regimen recently and that has helped with my acne rosacea.  I believe it gives me brain fog but I need to heal my gut first.  

• OK now i know that the strange sensations that sometimes feel like pre-fainting are from GABA.  I use NOW foods GABA powder. used to use 1/2 teaspoon, now moved to 1/4 tsp but still feel it. Perhaps it is not for me.  

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Disclaimer: dude in the women's forum. 

GABA and 5HTP are serious business. Are you using these as daily supplements? Why? 

BPIF is good for many people on many days, but does put a stress on the body. I wouldn't think it's a great idea for someone trying to conceive.

Also how low carb have you gone? That stresses the body too, I'm surprised no one's asked about that in this thread. 

You might find a copy of "The Better Baby Book" which is Dave Asprey's book exactly on these sorts of things. 

• GABA and 5Htp were part of Dave's recommendations. I do not do it every day, but do it often.  I found Dave while I was looking for ways to be able to sleep less and perform better. Needed 9 hours of sleep daily and performed very poorly on less.  I did read the better baby book but I do not recall that it said not to take GABA or 5 HTP.  Thanks for advice, I will discontinue these.  Thank you! 

• As for carbs.  I try to eat plenty of veggies and occasional fruits. occasional potato, very little.  grains not much at all, maybe once a week amaranth or millet or buckwheat, since I am also doing the body ecology, which forbids rice for candida reasons.  

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

GABA and 5Htp were part of Dave's recommendations. I do not do it every day, but do it often.  I found Dave while I was looking for ways to be able to sleep less and perform better. Needed 9 hours of sleep daily and performed very poorly on less.  I did read the better baby book but I do not recall that it said not to take GABA or 5 HTP.  Thanks for advice, I will discontinue these.  Thank you! 

As for carbs.  I try to eat plenty of veggies and occasional fruits. occasional potato, very little.  grains not much at all, maybe once a week amaranth or millet or buckwheat, since I am also doing the body ecology, which forbids rice for candida reasons.  

I'm not necessarily saying discontinue, just that those can be powerful drugs for some people and I wouldn't count them out as a cause of your problems. I definitely wouldn't take them every day though, so it's good that you're not. I was under the impression Dave recommended those specifically for sleep, not for general health. But if you take a break and it doesn't seem like your symptoms are related and you like what they do for your sleep, I wouldn't totally drop them just because of this thread. 

As for carbs, you should barely count veggies, as the fiber content is counted as carbs but is not digestible. If you must count veggies, check their nutrition facts and subtract fiber from total carbs to arrive at "net carbs," which is what your body actually has access to. The BP diet recommends 1 serving of fruit or starch each night, plus a carb 300g carb refeed at least once a week, with twice a week or sometimes more recommended for women. It sounds like you're quite carb restricted, probably well below 50g net carbs a day, and well into ketosis level macronutrient ratios. The few times I have felt weak, light headed, or heavy breathing, it's been low carbs and low calories. 

Dave often mentions that for fertility, you want to signal the body that it is "in a land of plenty." Carb restriction does the opposite. I would try to significantly increase them. Lots of forum members are having good results with 1g of carbs per pound of bodyweight or more. 

Are you sure you have candida? That's a big sacrifice if you are not sure. What about sweet potatoes, squashes, or pure dextrose (glucose) powder? 

• Thanks for the advice. I am certainly sure that the strange feelings are from GABA and I will stop them for now.  Also, not sure but potentially 5HTP could mess with my hormones, since it increases serotonin and can therefore affect steroid hormones, so will drop that for now as well. I will try them again when I am done with reproducing :).  As for squashes and sweet potatoes, there are not in season around here right now so can't get them.  Carrots and zucchini yes.  I will do more carb refeeds. Not trying to loose weight anyways.  I doubt that I am in ketosis much because i have not lost much weight, maybe 2-4 kg overall and flat for the last month or so.  I appreciate your advice. thank you! 

• I do know that I have candida, although do not know how systemic it is. I am convinced though that I have leaky gut and need to heal my digestive system.  I have eczema, acne rosacea and seasonal allergies, all intensified in the last 3-4 years.  Possibly due to mold exposure.  

• Frogprincess,
    Im new on here and saw your post.
    Because this was almost 2 years ago, I wonder if you are doing better. All of your symptoms were so familiar- associated with adrenal issues. Went through it - 5 years ago.
    hope all is well.