PLEASE HELP! Bulletproof Brand Ground Coffee too Fine for Chemex

Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

I am high and dry because I am waiting for whole beans, and I only have ground coffee that doesn't work!

I keep getting a very sour brew out of the local-bought Bulletproof brand ground coffee I had to settle for due to SLOW shipping (now it's ELEVEN days I will have to wait from an order I made on Thursday). I don't have a drip coffee maker, just my trust Chemex, and no matter what I do to try and make it work, it's OVEREXTRACTING the beans, and making me feel very sick when I greedily drink it despite the taste.

Could you help me hack a method to get a drinkable/healthy cup out of these grounds?

Comments

• If it's overextracting, presumably the water is sitting on the grounds too long and the bottleneck is the chemex filter. I haven't used a chemex, but if this is happening to you I'd have to assume the chemex filter lets water through at a slower rate than a drip coffee maker filter. Faster water flow requires smaller grain size to achieve full extraction, conversely slower water flow requires larger grain size to avoid overextraction.

You could:

• get a few drip coffee filters from the supermarket and stuff one in your chemex, now your filter achieves the assumed flow rate of your grind

• poke some pinpricks in the chemex filter to speed up water flow (which may create "channeling" in the grounds, where some columns of grounds above the pinpricks flow faster than other areas of the grounds, so both under and overextraction occurs in the same pile of grounds)

• put some foil in a mesh strainer or colander and poke some pinpricks in that to make your own filter (I did this while waiting for a new pump for my machine)

None of these are great, all have drawbacks, and my ideas are colored by the fact that I have never been made sick from poor extraction techniques, so choose your own adventure.

If it's only overextraction of caffeine that's causing your issue, brew less, add hot water, get a normal amount of caffeine.

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

@ACH85 said:

If it's only overextraction of caffeine that's causing your issue, brew less, add hot water, get a normal amount of caffeine.

Great ideas! I ultimately used the no-coffee maker method of just throwing boiled water on an appropriate amount of grounds in a pot and decanting, then getting the remaining "dust" out by running what I decanted a few times through a paper filter anyway.

I don't think it's just the caffeine that's the problem. I think it's compounds that are being extracted that aren't normally extracted, which my system is unable to tolerate—at least in those quantities.

• I accidentally bought the ground recently too
    doesnt help that their shipping is the slowest in the industry
    despite having several ways of extracting coffee, the pre-ground is worthless for all
    so I cold brewed it & reheated it each morning
    worked well while I waited for the whole bean
    & is prob the tastiest way to make his coffee anyway...

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

LOL, couldn't agree more about their shipping. It's ridiculous. I actually just paid for priority this time to avoid the frustration.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file