cashews as a fake health food

I just listened to a podcast with Dr. Gundry and he identifies cashews as 1 of 4 "fake "health foods. He says cashews are beans not nuts and are very high in lectins and should be avoided. I eat the bulletproof bars which have cashews and I am now wondering if this is not a good health strategy. Comments

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

How do they make you feel? If they make you feel bad, don't eat 'em. If they make you feel good, then eat 'em.

Every food has a downside. Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• fixerforhirefixerforhire Mr. Not Sure.

i've switched to cashew butter from exclusively eating almond butter. cashew leaves me more sated for longer.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

I disagree with @Skeletor to a certain extent. "If cocaine makes you feel good then take more cocaine" would be the same kind of logic and I hope that nobody starts taking cocaine now after reading this.^^

Thinking of the average IQ I assume that OP would have stopped eating those bars if they would have made him feel sick.... at least I consider this a given despite the fact that here are regularly people who do think they have to eat food that is supposed to be healthy for them while they get the worst symptoms. Everyone knows that if you are allergic to one of the suspect foods especially "nuts" then you avoid it.

After reading the original post by @dejames it reads like he is interested in biohacking and therefore needs to learn some basics like doing his own research and becoming a skeptic. So I am no nutritionist and I do not know this so called Dr. Gundry but one wikipedia research and I tend to disagree with what he says.

Wikipedia says "The cashew seed, often simply called a cashew, is widely consumed. It is eaten on its own, used in recipes, or processed into cashew cheese or cashew butter. The cashew apple is a light reddish to yellow fruit, whose pulp can be processed into a sweet, astringent fruit drink or distilled into liquor." I am no biologist but it says fruit and seed but not bean... maybe OP misheard what he said...

According to paleomom
    "It’s not about lectins. As I have mentioned before, lectins are a class of sugar-binding proteins with a variety of functions in both plants and animals. Almost every food contains lectins and this fact by itself is not sufficient to avoid eating something (otherwise we wouldn’t eat anything!). The lectins that we avoid eating on a paleo diet are lectins such as gluten (and related lectins in other grains and legumes) that are known to survive cooking, be poorly digested, interact with the cells that line the gut, increase intestinal permeability and/or cross the intestinal barrier largely intact where they can stimulate the immune system. To date, there is no scientific evidence that the lectins in nuts and seeds cross an intact gut barrier or prime the immune system."

I did not take the time to investigate any further but this gives us a start for further research... or maybe you just don't wanna eat cashews all day every day...

Maybe @The BioChemist knows already something about what the lectins in cashews can do...?

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

@DMan said:
    "If cocaine makes you feel good then take more cocaine" would be the same kind of logic

LOL. False equivalency much?

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

No. I am sorry @Skeletor. From what I understand by false equivalency in this context I think you do not fully understand what I was saying. I think it is really really bad to eat stuff that makes you feel good only and think that it is the best way of eating. Here is why:

1. There is the so called feel good diet (in a scientific experiment that I found). The feel good diet is aimed for people with depression and gives them much sugar and tryptophan. This diet makes you feel good because tryptophan in the right combination with sugar increases serotine production as far as I remember. It does work but also people get fat from it so it is not "healthy" or a smart idea to follow this idea unless you want to gain weight.
    2. As someone with chronic autoimmune conditions I can feel good while my inflammation goes crazy and only lab tests show that. On the other hand I can feel fatigued and what not but my inflammation is gone. Therefore I conclude don't just listen to your feelings.
    3. Dave described in an older podcast in regards to cheese and inflammation that you can feel good because your body gets stimulated and blood flow, heart rate increase... so you think you become more awake and feel better but actually you don't perform better in regards to inflammation.

Therefore I disagree to this extent with your sentence and support my equivalency with three argument. I hope you enjoyed this elaboration and I look forward to your reply. xD

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

edited December 2016

You're probably right, @DMan. One shouldn't trust their feelings. The cashews may be secretly killing him. Why indulge in a well-researched food like cashews whose downsides for most people are few when we can split hairs?
    @OP-- you should definitely throw down beaucoup bucks on getting pre and post cashew labs drawn.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

if Dr. Gundry says that cashews are beans (or legumes), he doesn't know what he's talking about.

a cashew 'nut' is the single seed of one cashew fruit (drupe), from a cashew tree.

fake it till you make it

@Skeletor said:
    You're probably right, @DMan. One shouldn't trust their feelings. The cashews may be secretly killing him. Why indulge in a well-researched food like cashews whose downsides for most people are few when we can split hairs?
    @OP-- you should definitely throw down beaucoup bucks on getting pre and post cashew labs drawn.

This forum is all about splitting hairs. Biohacking is splitting hairs. Dave Asprey is splitting hairs.^^ I disagree with that "eat what you feel like attitude" as a general rule for everything all the time. I would have liked some more in depth elaborations on your side but you are not talking about cashews but splitting hairs now so.... Your advice just did not "feel" like a good answer to me because he had a specific question and said stuff like cashews are beans and lectins in cashews are bad.... and then Skeletor comes in and talks about feelings. Also it's something everybody says... I don't feel it's the best answer in this context and wanted to clarify a few things. I hope I did not hurt your feelings. ;) Merry Christmas. I'm out.

How much to eat:

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

The dose makes the poison. I'm wary of forbidding any food as it all depends on context (talking about 'health foods' makes no sense anyway). I know, not very scientific, but a fine rule to live by.

Regarding cocaine, I don't think chewing on coca-leaves is all that bad, IF you actually live where those plants grow. Bad things happen when humans go crazy and make extremely concentrated substances, and consume anything outside of its natural environment. Same could be said about nuts, do they grow in your region? I'm pretty sure they don't grow here, so I'm not eating much anymore. We also don't grow coffee, sadly enough, but I'll make a few exceptions.

I'm done splitting hairs. :tongue:

• rmathesrmathes ✭✭

can't make any general comments on cashews, but in the last 2 years I've developed some auto immune issues with systemic inflammation and cashews make it far worse. I love Dave's bars, but I can't eat 'em. My wife does fine with them but they inflame the hell out of me.

Basically, any high lectin food seems to increase my inflammation and pain, and Dave's bars are definitely on that list for me.

• Really? Damn, I like cashews but they're expensive so I don't eat it too much.

• I LOVE CASHEWS! I am stuck a little though. First off, cashews are addictive to me, and I have trouble eating just 1/4 cup. The second challenge is that I follow some of the recommendations in Eating Right For Your Blood Type (I am O+) and ERFYBT lists Cashews as avoid for ALL blood types. I remember reading somewhere recently that cashews are carriers of mycotoxins (toxins of some sort) and should be avoided. I assume Dave Asprey uses Cashews that are free of toxins for the BP Bars.

Professional Certified Coach
    Pacific Pulse Centers

• CorstiaanCorstiaan
    edited May 2017

@PacificPulse said:
    I assume Dave Asprey uses Cashews that are free of toxins for the BP Bars.

Lol, toxin free, overpriced cashew bars. Don't go nuts people; pun intended.

To be a sure test for allergies/intolerances.
    Also, make sure they are raw/unroasted.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file