German Red Cabbage Side Dish - Boom!

I tend to come up with recipes on the fly, when attempting to use up what's left in the fridge.

I'll give you the bare bones (yet, still tasty) recipe first and then how to spice it up a little with some variations.

Finely shred 1/4 a large red cabbage into a bowl. Add 2-4 pinches of pink salt and start squeezing it all with your hands, pressing the salt into the cabbage. It'll soon start to break down the structure of the cabbage leaves and it'll almost go limp in your hands with the salt. The juice will start to come out - keep it!

Finely slice 2-3 large leeks (white part only).

Finely slice 1-2 stalks of celery.

Use the leeks and celery as the mirepoix. Cook them dry, on a medium-low heat.

Add in some butter (or ghee) and the cabbage (including the juice). Keep turning it, get it all covered in butter.

Add some apple cider vinegar to taste - I love it and the traditional recipe calls for apples anyway!

You can add a cup of water too, to lower the cooking temperature and let it boil/steam them - but you should reduce the stock and cook it for longer to get all the flavour.

This doesn't take too long to cook, maybe 5 minutes at most on the heat once the cabbage has gone in... just turn it every minute. Taste frequently. Adjust your salt and ACV to taste.

Put that on your steaks, yo!

Now to flavour it a bit more...

You can finely dice some kalamata black olives and add them in once it's cooked for a big umami punch.

Throw a whole bunch of spinach or kale leaves in with the cabbage to be more manly and shit.

Cloves work well here too, and appear in most of the traditional recipes.

Parsely is another great herb to throw in right at the end too.

Enjoy!

No sorcery, just science. 

Comments

• Awesome work Az! I'm looking forward to trying this out this week image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • I might throw some Spinach leaves in with mine.... to be more manly and shit haha
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful
    'Mykll wrote:

I might throw some Spinach leaves in with mine.... to be more manly and shit haha

It's the only way to be!

• Sounds good I have to try it.
  • FINALLY going to cook this tonight. I will let you know how I go, I wanted to do it last night but didn't have enough Leeks.... damnit!

Question about that; is only the stork part of a leek used? I've never cooked with them before going Bulletproof so wanted to make sure.
  • Ok so I gave this a whirl last night and wow! - what a side dish.... (...or more appropriately, since this is AZ's thread, should I say BOOM!) image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I've never really ate cabbage before, but this complimented the rest of my dish really well.

Thanks for the tips Az, I played around with the amounts a lil bit, but looking forward to cooking it more regularly
    Powerful Mykll!

Glad you liked it.

What part of the leeks to use? The bottom/white part imparts a more onion type flavour, the top part you can throw in at the end - think "overgrown spring onions/shallots"

Most of the green leaves at the organic markets look a bit shitty, so I just throw them away and use the white part. GET YO GREENS FROM KALE, SON!

• Thanks dude!

Yeah, I finally found some Kale! w0Ot! Now I'm just trying to work out the best ways to start using it image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Steam it or give it a low/med-low pan fry in butter. Eat it while using kettlebells.

• I used red cabbage shredded. With white part of leeks and some celery. Well salted with acv, water and some butter. Cooked well till soft. I threw it on a cooked steak. Tasted great.
    Happy it worked for you Leonard!

• i made this for dinner and it was delicious, thanks!

Glad you liked it :)

• I recently started doing a similar recipe but with bacon and cinimon (and a tiny bit of stevia or xylitol).  Sounds funny but the savory sweet combo is amazing.

I recently started doing a similar recipe but with bacon and cinimon (and a tiny bit of stevia or xylitol).  Sounds funny but the savory sweet combo is amazing.

It is!

Try having some salt with your dark chocolate too. Salt reduces bitterness.

• This will be perfect for my (almost)BP hotdogs. Thanks!

• It was so tasty...