Learning To Lucid Dream

I fell in love with the thought of lucid dreaming about two years ago after stumbling onto the topic on the Internet. Movies like Vanilla Sky and Inception got me even more interested in it and I started trying to learn. Despite starting a dream journal and practicing reality checks throughout the day I was only able to have one lucid dreaming experience which was short lived and disappointing. The experience was so short (I realized I was dreaming, quickly looked around, and got so excited that it work me up.) that it frustrated me and I gave up. After discovering the bulletproof community, I'm interested again.

I've done some searching on the forums and there doesn't seem to be much on lucid dreaming. Since there isn't much information here, I thought I'd start my own experiments and hopefully will find others interested in the same. Have any of you been able to achieve lucidity in your dreams? If so, what did you do to achieve this?

My plans:

• I am starting a dream journal again and will record anything I can remember about my dreams.
  • Right now I'm testing out an iPhone app that I downloaded called "DreamZ". I don't have a Zeo yet, but it seems to use similar technology to know when a person is in REM sleep. Rather than having a headband it only uses the iPhone's accelerometer so it's probably not as accurate as a Zeo. When it detects that a person is in REM sleep it will play an audio clip (you can choose what it plays) and can also be programmed to flash lights three times or give off a soft colored glow from the phone's screen.
  • I am also hoping to experiment with different supplements to help achieve lucidity. Does anyone know if Bulletproof Upgraded Brain can help with this in any way?

Last night was my first night trying DreamZ and I will continue to experiment with it. The first time the audio cue played it woke me up because I accidentally had my phone's sound too loud. The next time I remember hearing the cue I was still sleeping. I felt strange, but it was a good strange. I could tell I was still sleeping but I wasn't dreaming or if I was I was dreaming of blackness because I couldn't see anything. Anyways, I will continue to experiment and post my findings here.

Comments

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    My friend runs this site, it's one of the top sites on the subject: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/
  • M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.
  • This stuff is pretty practical too: http://www.wikihow.com/Lucid-Dream

• Just adding to the pile :-)...

The Discovery channel had a pretty interesting documentary on sleep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTHob0jdy7c

The Great Courses also has a course on sleep which includes a lecture on "The Strange World of Dreams"

"What are dreams and what do they mean? Examine Freudian-Jungian psychoanalytic theory and methods relating to the unconscious as well as scientific hypotheses for the occurrence of dreams. Consider the therapeutic potential of “lucid dreaming” for treating nightmares in post-traumatic stress disorder sufferers and the possibility that dreaming may enhance our ability to be creative."

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=1942

"

Seeing through the chaotic.
  • When I use to meditate for at least 15 -30 minutes a day my dreams tend to be more vivid and I am able to recall them more easily. During that period I was able to lucid once (complete control) and numerous where I woke myself up or did not feel like I had complete control.

Indomitable- when you break you get right back up

• For me, i lucid dream every time i don't smoke cannabis at night. Smoking cannabis can be like a lucid dream haha! It's weird but this is the truth for me, it never fails. But also alpha brain from onnit.com also really does help lucid dreaming.

• Thanks for all the material, guys. I'll spend some time sifting through all this.

For me, i lucid dream every time i don't smoke cannabis at night. Smoking cannabis can be like a lucid dream haha! It's weird but this is the truth for me, it never fails. But also alpha brain from onnit.com also really does help lucid dreaming.

I actually read something interesting debunking Alpha Brain last night. Here's the link to it: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/alpha-brain-whats-wrong-with-the-supplement-industry/ Basically, this article says it's a scam.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

I am also hoping to experiment with different supplements to help achieve lucidity. Does anyone know if Bulletproof Upgraded Brain can help with this in any way?

As far as lucid dreaming supplements, Tim Ferriss suggests using Melatonin, Huperzine-A or Nicotine patches (don't mix them).
  • M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

Thanks for all the material, guys. I'll spend some time sifting through all this.

I actually read something interesting debunking Alpha Brain last night. Here's the link to it: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/alpha-brain-whats-wrong-with-the-supplement-industry/ Basically, this article says it's a scam.

Alpha brain is full of nothing but bulletproof level nootropics - this is even acknowledged by Dave when he goes on JRE.  This article only addresses one of many of the nootropics contained in alpha brain.  The writer couldn't make such a convincing case if he investigated them all. 

• Here is a great book written by Dr. Stephen LaBerge, a true pioneer in the field, from the sounds of it.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/doc/Exploring%20The%20World%20Of%20Lucid%20Dreaming.pdf

I'm just getting into this, but it's a very helpful how-to for beginners, and also seems to have some strategies for learning and exploring once you know what you're doing. 

This is a study, sorry, "study", done by Thomas Yuschak.  The reason for the quotation marks is that there was only one participant, who was studied over only 11 nights.  A very small sample size, indeed.  It does, however, point to some pharmacological options for lucid dream induction. They are galantamine (for dimensia), and desmopressin (for bed-wetting), both prescription.  I saw much discussion of galantamine in various places on the web, and it sounds like it helps.

The "study" also examined the role of deep sleep deterrents on lucid dreams.  Fairly interesting reading for those who are curious, but obviously not conclusive scientific data by any means.

http://lucidconsciousness.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/Pharmacological-Induction-of-Lucid-Dreams.pdf

Anybody tried Calea zacatechichi, aka, the dream herb?  Apparently, it was used by Aztec shamans (shamen?), to induce crazy dreams which would provide them with insightful visions and answers to their problems.  Some people seem to use it for lucid dream induction.

Happy reading and I'd love to hear what has worked for you guys.  I'm still in the dream recording phase.  I'm looking for dreamsigns, increasing my reality checks while awake.  So far, I remember a lot more dreams, and almost, sort of figured I was dreaming in one.  Enough to hop/fly over a giant fence while getting chased, but not enough to be totally convinced that I was dreaming and could take control.

• edited March 2013

Thanks for all the material, guys. I'll spend some time sifting through all this.

I actually read something interesting debunking Alpha Brain last night. Here's the link to it: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/alpha-brain-whats-wrong-with-the-supplement-industry/ Basically, this article says it's a scam.

Aubrey Marcus is one of the guys behind alphabrain. He was on JRE #195. During the opening 'commercial', he talks a bit about the ingredients. He doesn't talk about the GPC, but he does acknowledge that there is research supporting both sides of the efficacy of GABA argument. Basically, he says they are putting the best stuff in there that they know of, though some of it is mainly supported by anecdotal evidence. The ingredient list is right on their site, so as always, make up your own mind. I'm going to give it a try. And if it doesn't have any effect, I can always get my money back.

Aubrey also talked about his ibogaine experience, and holy shit does it sound like quite a trip. It's derived from the root of an African tree, and I had heard about it being used to treat drug addiction, but you can trip on it too. It actually sounds a lot like an amazing lucid dream, though with terrible physical side-effects (severe nausea, loss of balance and coordination, tiny penis). You go deep inside yourself and get answers to your big questions. It sounds like you can access your unconscious resources in much the same way you would in a lucid dream. Very interesting podcast.

I'm gonna start with some nootropics, but a trip to Costa Rica might be in my future. Powerful iboga.
  • Sick. Do I have to pretend to be hooked on heroine? ...cause I will.
  • edited March 2013

I achieved lucidity in a dream once, after walking on an island with an expedition i suddenly looked down at my feet and realized that i was dreaming, this is the crucial point for me, because you can really fuck it up and wake up at that point. But i knew what i wanted to do so i started flying - it  was amazing!

Before that i had dreams where i knew i was dreaming but just didnt use it for enything - what a bummer lol. But it seems like your close to achieving lucidity just keep going down the rabbit hole ;)

up to that point all i did was to record my dreams using a diktafon.

This freak really helped me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42UARqe-H9U

• edited March 2013

Here is a great book written by Dr. Stephen LaBerge, a true pioneer in the field, from the sounds of it.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/doc/Exploring%20The%20World%20Of%20Lucid%20Dreaming.pdf

I'm just getting into this, but it's a very helpful how-to for beginners, and also seems to have some strategies for learning and exploring once you know what you're doing. 

This is a study, sorry, "study", done by Thomas Yuschak.  The reason for the quotation marks is that there was only one participant, who was studied over only 11 nights.  A very small sample size, indeed.  It does, however, point to some pharmacological options for lucid dream induction. They are galantamine (for dimensia), and desmopressin (for bed-wetting), both prescription.  I saw much discussion of galantamine in various places on the web, and it sounds like it helps.

The "study" also examined the role of deep sleep deterrents on lucid dreams.  Fairly interesting reading for those who are curious, but obviously not conclusive scientific data by any means.

http://lucidconsciousness.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/Pharmacological-Induction-of-Lucid-Dreams.pdf

Anybody tried Calea zacatechichi, aka, the dream herb?  Apparently, it was used by Aztec shamans (shamen?), to induce crazy dreams which would provide them with insightful visions and answers to their problems.  Some people seem to use it for lucid dream induction.

Happy reading and I'd love to hear what has worked for you guys.  I'm still in the dream recording phase.  I'm looking for dreamsigns, increasing my reality checks while awake.  So far, I remember a lot more dreams, and almost, sort of figured I was dreaming in one.  Enough to hop/fly over a giant fence while getting chased, but not enough to be totally convinced that I was dreaming and could take control.

Very good find. I love anything that is used by south american shamans. Well, almost anything. I can't recall if they drink their own urine for psychedelic use.

It seems like everyday I find something new to add to my stack of daily ingredients for self improvement. So far my collection of shit is vast and expensive, but I think it's worth it too. I'm excited to try "the dream herb".

• So last night I smoked 1 g of Calea zacatechichi for the first time. I woke myself up 4.5 hours into my sleep and took about 15 minutes to smoke it all (I was hitting it back to back, too). I made sure to hold my hits in, which was difficult at times because it was kind of harsh. Once I got in bed I felt a little euphoric and tingly. My thoughts were a little more powerful than usual, and I think it took an hour for me to fall asleep. But once I did I stared dreaming. The first dreams weren't much, but the last dream of the night was insane. I didn't become lucid but it was still pretty intense. I think tonight I'm going to try encapsulating them next. The only down side to that is that it takes like 10 pills to fill a gram of this stuff.

• There's so many little tips and tricks that can help people become lucid.

I just started looking at digital clocks(they dont work in dreams) and turning on light switches ( you cant in a dream) and I have been becoming more lucid, more often.

I found the tips here, its had some other interesting tips on Lucid Dreaming as well

http://www.explorecreatelive.com/how-to-control-dreams-enter-lucid-dreaming/

• Soo. Do you guys find any benefit from this personally? Do you do it for fun or just as more biohacking to biohack? --(voice of curiosity not attacking you)

• I am lucky enough to be able to keep a dream going over several nights, I have no idea how I do it and I can't seem to control what will happens but its the same story it just evolves.

You can run but I can chuck my axe pretty far! :twisted:

• Last night I dreamed I was running. Wearing flip flops. And my knee didn't hurt, whereas normally there's at least a bit of background discomfort when I'm running -- like I can at least feel the impact of gravity. Then I realized I'm not feeling gravity on my knee because I'm barely contacting the ground -- I am skimming the ground as I run. Like I'm 1/4 running and 3/4 flying at low height without knowing it.

So I realized I was dreaming. Reality testing for the win!!!!!

And I flew, from the road I was on, on a hill, down into a picturesque valley below. I flew knowing that I was dreaming and taking control of my dream.

And some other stuff happened as well, I might get to later.

It's been a while since I've had a lucid dream or done reality testing. Very pleased it happened again. Maybe this will be the start of some brand new (or brain new) adventures.

Might share more experiences later.  For now, must leave for work!

• I haven't looked too much through the thread, but just two days ago I tried something rather interesting. I've been taking some really potent probiotics the past few days and the last 2 days I've been eating resistant starch a lot in forms of sweet potatoes and white rice.

And let me tell you.. I firmly believe after these nights that your gut bacteria makes you lucid dream. I haven't had a lucid dream in a while but these nights when feeding all these bacteria I had amazing results. I'll have to do more digging into it and can't wait to read through the thread but I just wanted to put this out there in case anyone was interested in trying this. 2 days in and it really works.

the system around you is not necessarily aligned with your incentives in mind

memento mori

• I have found doing three rounds (or so) of the Wim Hoff method followed by deep breaths with controlled extremely slow exhales plops me into very lucid dreams. When Wim Hoffing I keep my mind completely clear except for the thought of the inhale exhale until the exhale and hold. While holding the exhale I focus on something very specific and that alone. The simplest way to bring focus to what I want to dream meditate on. Once I am done with the three rounds of that I start the deep breath with slow controlled exhales with the same focus or intention in mind until I fall asleep. If I have done my morning meditation the lucidity is more potent but either way I find myself plopped into a lucid dream state. This works for me hope it is helpful.