Honey Before Bed

Dave recommends a tablespoon of raw honey before bed to improve sleep quality.. 

Does this break ketosis and should I do it everyday?

is it level tablespoon or a tablespoon covered with honey like I consume which is like 2 tablespoons of leveled honey.

Comments

• I've heard Dave say that it doesn't break ketosis, but I don't remember the specific mechanisms behind it.

My Fitness and Nutrition Blog: http://JJStrength.com

• RodRod The Rodfather

1-2 TSP not TBSP. It will not kick you out ketosis at those doses. 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• 1-2 TSP not TBSP. It will not kick you out ketosis at those doses. 

Oh right, thanks for correcting me :).

• What is the point?  It's just sugar???  How's that gonna help?

• How about the New Zealand Manuka honey?

• RodRod The Rodfather
    edited April 2013

What is the point?  It's just sugar???  How's that gonna help?

It goes straight to the brain, thus makes you feel relaxed and prompt for sleep.

How about the New Zealand Manuka honey?

That is medicine! Raw honey will do.

Oh right, thanks for correcting me  :).

You're welcome! 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• when Dave says "before bed" , generally how long are we talking? 1/2 hour? 15 minutes? 2 minutes? curious what others are doing... and I"m guessing this would coincide with the MCT oil?

• when Dave says "before bed" , generally how long are we talking? 1/2 hour? 15 minutes? 2 minutes? curious what others are doing... and I"m guessing this would coincide with the MCT oil?

I generally shoot for an hour to half an hour before bed.

• hope it helps... I've been getting terrible sleep lately- besides the fact that my son tosses/turns at night, even by myself I can't stay asleep.

• It does a pretty good job. My protocol is as follows: lots of fat/protein at dinner. Before bed: 1 tsp Honey, 1-2 tbsps MCT, 800 mg Magnesium, 200 mg Potassium, 200 mg L Theanine, 1000 mg Fish Oil, sometimes 1000mg of GABA.

• lol. Way to make something unappetizing XD

Sugar is just sugar, honey is bee vomit, the raw unpasturized has more than sugar in it.

• MCT before bed makes me warm.
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • I've been doing it for two days... I definitely find it easier to fall asleep.... but my toddler is making it impossible to stay asleep lol

• question- does the honey HAVE to be taken with the MCT oil?  it just does something awful to my stomach every time I take it ... It's ok with the coffee in the morning at this point, but can't do it again at night just by itself & the honey

• question- does the honey HAVE to be taken with the MCT oil? it just does something awful to my stomach every time I take it ... It's ok with the coffee in the morning at this point, but can't do it again at night just by itself & the honey

I would skip the mct after dinner, no point in taking it at night imo.

[email protected]
  • I would skip the mct after dinner, no point in taking it at night imo.

Seems like there is a point according to Dave?

"Especially when you’re doing BP Intermittent Fasting or eating very few carbs, you can get more deep sleep when you take a small amount of raw honey. At first I assumed that taking raw honey before bed would throw me out of fat burning mode, but as long as MCT oil was taken with the honey, enough ketones were produced to stay in fat burning mode. Take 1-2 teaspoons of raw honey before bed if it helps with your sleep"

• Seems like there is a point according to Dave?

"Especially when you’re doing BP Intermittent Fasting or eating very few carbs, you can get more deep sleep when you take a small amount of raw honey. At first I assumed that taking raw honey before bed would throw me out of fat burning mode, but as long as MCT oil was taken with the honey, enough ketones were produced to stay in fat burning mode. Take 1-2 teaspoons of raw honey before bed if it helps with your sleep"

Some people get a very thermogenic reaction to MCT, myself included, makes sleep harder for me.

Honey never worked for me tho.

[email protected]
  • I think after you take honey you should immediatly go to sleep. If you stay awake you'll probably burn the small amount of sugar you've got from honey, and honey affects REM sleep which usually happen (except for a few spreaded minutes) in the last sleep's hours. So you take it, you enter in SWS Sleep which is supported by ketones, and then sugar from honey will increase REM. And if also other substances inside honey affects REM sleep, well they have by the way all the time during SWS Sleep to enter into the bloodstream.

• one question, on the page where Dave gives his sleep protocol, he says one can use collagen and/or whey protein OR honey, but not both.

Why? 

I made a bedtime drink last night that included magnesium, mct oil, dave's whey protein and then chased it with 2 teaspoons of raw honey. Slept great.

What does combining honey and whey protein do that Dave doesn't like?

• GarrettGarrett
    edited December 2013

lol. Way to make something unappetizing XD

It's truth, though. Know where your food is coming from. It's not about making the food be all 'shiny', just so a person will eat it.

Honey is bee vomit. It does what it does, and does it well.

Stripping away the illusions that many people have around their food. Know what you're actually eating.

What does combining honey and whey protein do that Dave doesn't like?

^ My guess is that the quick digesting sugars + how the whey is digested do not play around well in one's stomach. Especially late at night. When Honey is combined with MCT, both are so quick to be digested, that it doesn't matter if both are taken at once. Plus the MCT guarantees that a person stays in Ketosis.

• i have honey every night before bed along with 500mg of magnesium, and zinc (cant remember the dosage), and i have never slept better
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
  • i have done it exactly once (a true n=1, lol) and it was great. Marked difference in my sleep. I will follow-up with more results.

Make sure the honey is raw. Also, my partner swears by local honey to reduce allergies to local plants so we always get raw, local honey. 

"Most women in our culture, then, are disordered when it comes to issues of self-worth, self-entitlement, self-nourishment, and comfort with their own bodies; eating disorders, far from being ‘bizarre’ and anomalous, are utterly continuous with a dominant element of the experience of being female in this culture."— Susan Bordo 

• I'm going to do a honey + MCT test today. I've done it before, but I've usually added magnesium as well, and find that my sleep is pure shit on those nights, oddly enough.

Will do 3x week-long tests of Honey + MCT, Mag alone, and Honey + MCT + Mag.

For those that are getting thermogenic responses from MCT... have you thought about doing a cold shower pre-Honey + MCT? Drop your core and outer temp down, eat the honey + MCT, and come into a more balanced state for night time?

• TyKTyK Unadvanced Member

Been doing ZMA 30-60 mins before bed followed by 1 tsp of raw honey before lights out.

I'm out in about 2 minutes. 

• edited December 2013

Honey is a good thing for health and has many benefits so its a good idea to use honey before going to bed because it helps to improve sleep.

lake county boot camps

• I realise that I'm commenting on an old post but the one downside I've had on a ketogenic diet has been poor sleep, having always been a deep sleeper before. When I got an OURA ring, it showed that I was getting 10-15 mins of deep sleep a night! I've known about the honey trick for ages but haven't tried it as it seemed anathema to the keto diet. But I tried it 3 nights ago and BAM had 2 whole hours of deep sleep! So I've had it for the past three nights and haven't had less than 1hr 30 deep sleep. Am heartily impressed and might try it with a soupçon of MCT to counter the carb load.

• If we eat honey before go to the sleep, we will get some help from it. Because it can help for deep sleep. When you started regular you will have at least 2 hours extra sleep. And if you want to lose your weight honey will help you a lot. If liver get some honey prior to bed, it activate some recovery hormones what will help to burning your body fats.