Mct Oil Dosage

edited August 2013 in Bulletproof Diet

Being that MCT Oil is both more expensive than the gf butter and the coconut oil, and that going nuts on the stuff can give you the runs, I was wondering how many tbsp/day I should be aiming for.

What's the ideal, assuming I'm getting the rest of my fats from other good BP sources?

Dave? Bulletproof intern? Others?

I'm 155lb, if that factors in as well.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• I aim for around 3 tablespoons a day - Dr Friedlander recommends 1 - 3 tablespoons per day.

I know that Dave says to put 30g in bulletproof coffee which is roughly 3 tablespoons.

And I haven't had the runs yet! image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
  • I reckon paul knows what hes talking about. Also I find the MCT goes down me better than coconut oil. Coconut oil is the runs, and only with one tblsp.
  • Sounds about right. I've been doing 2 tbs in the BP coffee and then another tbs later in the day.

Just thought I'd ask around, cuz it seems like they tend to mega-dose everything when listening to the podcast.

Thank guys!
  • edited July 2012
    That's exactly what I do mate - 2 tablespoons in my coffee and then one later in the day.
  • Personally, I eyeball it. I guess my body really loves fat cause I know I've probably had a combined 1/2 cup of MCT oil in a day and still had no issues. I do have a question though, is "Now Foods" MCT oil acceptable? It doesn't say that is is pharmaceutical grade on the bottle...
  • I know plenty of people who use Now Foods MCT and they have no problems with it.
  • Hi everyone,

Now Foods MCT is fine, personally used it.

In this comment (http://www.bulletproofexec.com/rapid-fat-loss-protocol/#comment-465180228 ) Dave talks about different types of MCT’s. Perhaps, this may be of use in regards to choosing a certain brand of MCT.

In regards to MCT/Coconut oil dosage - individual aspect + depends upon the daily dose consumed. I can consume 50-60 g of Coconut oil / 20-30 g MCT in one setting (with coffee or cocoa) and this can be repeated 2-3 times a day, if the intervals between ingestions are at least 4 hours. Multiple times tried taking more at a time e.g. 50-60g MCT. This resulted in nausea after approximately 2 hour after ingestion and a 1.5 hour long sleep, because I felt extremely sleepy.

Here is an interesting link (http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/1376/biojacked-2-autophagy-with-josh-whiton/ ) in my opinion regarding MCT / Coconut Oil “overdose”. It is a podcast with John Kiefer and Josh Whiton and in the end of the podcast they talk about this issue.
  • I haven't been able to do more than 1Tbsp in one sitting without side effects.
  • It's interesting how much fat I can happily tolerate w.the BP Coffee. GF Butter + MCT + Coconut Oil on occasion seems to give fine energy and not upset my stomach at all. Funny, a month ago I wouldn't have thought it possible.

The 'Get-Some' Ice Cream however, delicious as it was, left me feeling heavy and tired.

Anyone else notice that?
  • ...I'm thinking it's the heavy dose of Xylitol. I might start a new thread about this. Read a couple guys talking about the adverse affects of sweeteners. Wonder if I just stumbled on one for myself.
  • edited July 2012
    'Isaac' wrote:

...I'm thinking it's the heavy dose of Xylitol. I might start a new thread about this. Read a couple guys talking about the adverse affects of sweeteners. Wonder if I just stumbled on one for myself.

perhaps try erythritol instead? it's almost no calories, and it's generally free of the side effects often associated with sugar alcohols. not sure it'll help with what you're talking about. but can't hurt to try, right?
  • I use stevia as a sweetener and have had no ill effects.
  • edited September 2012
    I found a good way to down a lot of MCT without any issues and that's to have it with carrots. I eat raw baby carrots with mct oil and some water afterwards. Tastes good too! I think I went as high as 12 tbsp without any stomach issues. Time to say bye to those extra pounds image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • 2 - 3 tablespoons per day is enough for average guys