College Meal Plan Exemption Help!

edited September 2013 in General Discussion

Hey all,

I can exempt my college's largely not-Bulletproof 21 meal plan by having a doctor write a note explaining

- Why the food served won't work for me

- What food should be cooked instead

- Evidence

My primary care doctor doesn't read Dave's stuff but he has seen the BPdiet change my health, by things like limiting carbs, eating lots of healthy fats, eliminating gluten and dairy and sugar, etc. and is willing to rewrite a letter for the school on his letterhead that I draft for him.

That being said, how would you choose write a letter backed with evidence to argue for the BPdiet? All I have at the moment is my own observations and reports to my doctor. Please share any suggestions you may have. Thank you all!

P.S. I can't afford to buy the meal plan, ignore it, and cook for myself. It's one or the other.

Comments

• RodRod The Rodfather

Who is the letter for, your doctor? 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• Sorry about the confusion Rod. It's for the school:

I write the letter. Then I give it to my doctor and he rewrites it in his voice and reprints it on his letterhead. Then he sends it to the Assistant Dean who looks it over with the Head Chef to see if they can accommodate my diet. If they both determine my needs cannot be accommodated (which they probably can't), then I get exempted.

• RodRod The Rodfather

Just have your doctor say you have food sensitivities etc...when a doctor is involved, it becomes serious!  

You can get by on eggs, fish, protein powder, butter, coconut oil,white rice,sweet potato, vegetables. 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• Okay, I'll draft it and get back if I have any further questions. Thanks for the feedback!

• edited September 2013

Okay, I'll draft it and get back if I have any further questions. Thanks for the feedback!

Tell them that you're celiac and lactose intolerant. The primary foods to avoid on the bulletproof diet have to do with wheat, gluten, and dairy.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Can't you just withdraw from the food plan?

• CaliforniaGold:

Tell them that you're celiac and lactose intolerant. The primary foods to avoid on the bulletproof diet have to do with wheat, gluten, and dairy.

The cafeteria does serve dairy free and gluten free items: veggies, meat, rice, and GF bread/cookies. To them this is not enough of an argument to withdraw from the plan, and is the root of my problem: I have to argue the low-carb, healthy fat diet which is not commonly known. =/

Can't you just withdraw from the food plan?

Yes, but I have to prove it with a letter from a doctor proving my special needs. Unfortunately, forcing freshman to buy the 21 meal plan is part of the college's budget plan, so they fight it like a barnacle sticking to a decomposing rowboat.

CaliforniaGold:

The cafeteria does serve dairy free and gluten free items: veggies, meat, rice, and GF bread/cookies. To them this is not enough of an argument to withdraw from the plan, and is the root of my problem: I have to argue the low-carb, healthy fat diet which is not commonly known. =/

Yes, but I have to prove it with a letter from a doctor proving my special needs. Unfortunately, forcing freshman to buy the 21 meal plan is part of the college's budget plan, so they fight it like a barnacle sticking to a decomposing rowboat.

=====

Ahhh gotcha, in that case, it doesn't seem like there will be many consequences other than they can't forcefully take your money.

In other words, get the doctor to write you are showing early signs of MS and need to eat a very low carb diet according to his prescription (if they question it, you can point them to information about MCT and ketosis helping MS etc.)

You could even push that excuse to the point of you having to eat an exact meal plan. You could substitute MS for another disease if that suits ;-)

• =====

Ahhh gotcha, in that case, it doesn't seem like there will be many consequences other than they can't forcefully take your money.

In other words, get the doctor to write you are showing early signs of MS and need to eat a very low carb diet according to his prescription (if they question it, you can point them to information about MCT and ketosis helping MS etc.)

You could even push that excuse to the point of you having to eat an exact meal plan. You could substitute MS for another disease if that suits :wink:

So you suggest his physician lie?  If he actually has some sort of neurological issues my apologies.  

This is why I would do:  get the meals plan and just do your best.  You said they have veggies, meat and rice so eat those.  Realize the bulletproof diet is a spectrum and don't fret too much about it.  Incorporate your own fat (butter, coconut, mct) into the campus food.  Eat sardines and smoked salmon in your dorm to mix things up.  Drinking bulletproof coffee a few times a week for breakfast instead of eating shitty eggs and mystery meat.  That shouldn't add too much weekly expense. 

Also if all your friends are on the meal plan eating together you are going to alienate yourself.  I would suggest that some not so great food in the company of friends is going to be better for your health and social life than eating alone every meal in your dorm.

Some food for thought.

Its potentially outrageous that you get a physician to lie, I get what you're saying. My point of view is that it is not right that they can force you to buy into their meal plan. It seems purely commercial so why not get the physician to get him out of it.

If someone was mugging me I wouldn't bind myself to speaking the truth to get out of it. What can I say, my Jacobite ancestry has given me issues with people claiming to be authority figures when they shouldn't be ;-)

• edited September 2013

I think @jmayer got it right.  No need to lie, just work within the system and chances are you'll want to be able to enjoy the meal plan with your friends.

That said, they won't analyze this letter too much... you're overthinking it.  Administration has much better things to do, and since you'll have a doctor's note, it could basically say anything.  They don't care about whether you individually are on it or not, you just have to follow protocol.

I would just get your doctor to say you have a specialized, paleo, high fat, ketosis diet (AKA the truth) that has shown very positive results, and it would be detrimental to your health to depart from that.  That will be all you'll need to have it get approved.

• Thanks a ton for the input, guys! I sent the letter off to my doctor this afternoon and he's working on it right now. And on what jmayer brought up...

Also if all your friends are on the meal plan eating together you are going to alienate yourself.  I would suggest that some not so great food in the company of friends is going to be better for your health and social life than eating alone every meal in your dorm.

...I realized I hadn't really thought about that and as school goes on I'm going to miss things in the dining hall, so I'm going to opt for the 14 meal plan and make the most of what they offer lunch and dinner while having BPCoffee for breakfast. That way, I can eat with my friends and the school still gets some money for food, and I save enough money to buy myself the supplemental butter and coconut oil, etc.

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

• edited October 2013

Hey guys,

The final result is that the letter worked!  I am off the 21 meal plan and now on the 5 meal plan, so in keeping with suggestions from both worlds I got a nice refund and now have money to cook most of my own BP deliciousness, and I get to have lunch with my friends five times a week.

Thanks again for your help and advice!  A healthful four years of college beckons. =D

• Hi c16sonic16-
    Can you PLEASE dig up a copy of your letter and send it to [email protected]?

Many thanks!

• @margodevine said:
    Hi c16sonic16-
    Can you PLEASE dig up a copy of your letter and send it to [email protected]?

Many thanks!

Hi there- I've been digging FOREVER to find a way off my meal plan and i am in a similar situation, if possible could you PLEASE send a copy to [email protected] ?

• i am in a similar situation, if possible could you PLEASE send a copy to [email protected] hopefully you can send it before September 6th so i can submit it on time!!!