Problems With Chronic Gas And Bloating :(

Hi guys, 

I have as long as I can remember had problems with my stomach and digestion and bloating and gas etc. etc. etc. 

I headed to the doctor today, and got told that I should test myself by cutting out dairy one month, gluten the next etc. to see if anything happens. If nothing happens, she basically told me that I'm screwed and there is nothing to be done - I'll just have to live with it forever (and I refuse that!). I really hope that I'll see some results, but I must admit that I'm doubtful. I also got tested for celiac desease, and I get the results in a couple of weeks. I eat healthy - no sugar, no bread/rice/pasta/potatoes, only cultured diary, a lot of green veggies etc. Every saturday I eat whatever I want though. I'm a middle distance runner, so I work out almost every day. I try to avoid too much stress, and I'm good at getting 8+ hours of sleep every night and relax when my body need it. I take cod liver oil, magnesium and probiotics every day. 

The problem is that I've had these problems as long as I can remember, and no matter what I eat I get really bloated, and feel terrible. My gas problem is also very emberassing, and I feel terrible about it. I also struggle with constipation, although it's not a huge problem. I'm 18 and these problems are really killing me. I'm sick of it. 

Do you fellow biohackers have any ideas of what I can do other than try avoiding dairy, gluten etc.? It would really save my life... 

(Sorry for my english)

Comments

• I think you should do some reading on fixyourgut.com the website is run by John Brisson who's a member on this forum, you can also perhaps contact him and arrange a private consultation with him, he's really good and will mostly likely help you identify your gut problems and help you fix them.

• John Brisson has some excellent information on SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) on his fixyourgut.com website.  Also look into limiting the "FODMAP" foods:

F – Fermentable

O – Oligosaccharides (kinds of sugars) in foods such as cereals, bread, biscuits, cakes, pasta

D – Disaccharides (lactose), for example, dairy foods

M – Monosaccharides (fructose) in fruit juice, honey, peas, jams, snack bars

A – and...

P – Polyols (sugar alcohols) found in fruits with stones and some vegetables, such as onions and leeks. Also found in artificial sweeteners and sugar-free gum

Almost all of these bother me at least a little bit.  Even some really healthy vegetables are on the list.  I used to eat sugar snap peas (pea pods, actually) and these cause TERRIBLE bloating.  I also am eating fewer vegetables -- more like 5-6 three ounce servings (3 ounces raw) instead of the recommended 8-11.  I just don't have the digestive capacity for 10 servings of vegetables, though I tried hard and tried digestive enzymes and everything.  

Constipation has been a lifelong issue for me.  Not bad, just a little troublesome.  On the constipation, here is my protocol for myself:  morning:  2 grams Vitamin C, 300 mg (approx) Magnesium Citrate.  Evening:  4 grams Vitamin C, 600 (approximately) mg of Magnesium Citrate.  Several nights a week I drink a cup of "Get Regular" or "Smooth Move" tea, which is senna-based.  More fiber never did a damned thing for me.  Even when I would eat 40-50 grams in a day.  It probably stopped me up!

As an aside, John Brisson has the best information on his website on Magnesium that I've seen anywhere.

Mary

• By the way, xylitol/erythritol are often mentioned as acceptable sweeteners.  However, if FODMAPs bother you, they are not your friends.  I have some xylitol (the kind made from birch, not corn) and use it very sparingly, if at all.  It bothers my husband's IBS badly.

Mary

• +1 to http://fixyourgut.com - very educational site - I need to buy his book. 

I tried a slightly different path myself:

Supplement with this for 2 months:

- Mastic Gum/DGL/Bitters & Curcumin  - this will kill H. Pylori and help restore stomach acid production.  H. Pylori actually surpresses stomach acid production (look it up on pubmed - they've measured the stomach PH before and after).  It will also help build up your stomach lining etc..etc..

Introduce Fermented/Bacteria Rich Food - go a bit crazy for the 1st two months

- Kefir, Kimchi, Kombucha drinks

- I also reallly like VSL Probiotics

This along with mostly following a bullet proof/paleo style diet has ended my reflux entirely.  I'm fairly regular, have no stomach issues and don't supplement with the above stuff anymore (except I do take the fermented foods).

I've had a few other people try the same approach and it's worked really well.

Anecdotally - the people who go straight to Betaine-HCL typically seem to get stuck taking it all the time.  I'd tried betaine HCL and ACV before - it managed and improved the problem but didn't actually solve it.

I think the reason is that Betaine HCL and ACV don't kill H. Pylori upsets the PH of your stomach.

--

Michael Stone

• If you really want to find out what's going on do a metametrix complete GI effects test which will do a DNA analysis of everything in your gut which will confirm whether h-pylori is the actual cause of your problem or whether something else is causing it. You may also have depressed secretory IgA (the gut's own immune system). 

• Just throwing this out there...YOU MIGHT HAVE WORMS!!! 

Seriously, your symptoms are consistent with intestinal parasites. 

This is a topic I'm reading up on lately, and I am thus far only confident about throwing it out as a possibility and can't recommend a course of action. 

Most of the 'parasite people' on the internet strike me as unhinged, so keep that in mind if you decide to look up possible countermeasures. 

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Hi guys, 

I have as long as I can remember had problems with my stomach and digestion and bloating and gas etc. etc. etc. 

I headed to the doctor today, and got told that I should test myself by cutting out dairy one month, gluten the next etc. to see if anything happens. If nothing happens, she basically told me that I'm screwed and there is nothing to be done - I'll just have to live with it forever (and I refuse that!). I really hope that I'll see some results, but I must admit that I'm doubtful. I also got tested for celiac desease, and I get the results in a couple of weeks. I eat healthy - no sugar, no bread/rice/pasta/potatoes, only cultured diary, a lot of green veggies etc. Every saturday I eat whatever I want though. I'm a middle distance runner, so I work out almost every day. I try to avoid too much stress, and I'm good at getting 8+ hours of sleep every night and relax when my body need it. I take cod liver oil, magnesium and probiotics every day. 

The problem is that I've had these problems as long as I can remember, and no matter what I eat I get really bloated, and feel terrible. My gas problem is also very emberassing, and I feel terrible about it. I also struggle with constipation, although it's not a huge problem. I'm 18 and these problems are really killing me. I'm sick of it. 

Do you fellow biohackers have any ideas of what I can do other than try avoiding dairy, gluten etc.? It would really save my life... 

(Sorry for my english)

Sounds like SIBO to me: http://fixyourgut.com/2013/08/22/treatment-of-gerd-protocol-1-sibo/

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• johVOLjohVOL ALWAYS HUNGRY

Thank you so much guys! Helps a lot :)

Sounds like SIBO to me: http://fixyourgut.com/2013/08/22/treatment-of-gerd-protocol-1-sibo/

This really seems to be my problem. I've read the article, but this is a lot of information all at once, and I'm a little confused! 

Would it be enough for me to take rifaximin? If not, which other supplements should I take? I'm sorry if I'm asking stupidly here, I'm just a little confused about all of the information. If this works, I'll buy your book for sure, haha :-)  Again, thanks, this is really big help to me. I've struggeled with this for so long... 

edited November 2013

I think I'll do

- 2 tbsp coconut oil in my coffee

- Peppermint oil twice a day

and see if that helps! 

You need a biofilm chelator as well like lactoferrin, NAC, or systemic enzymes for the antimicrobial agent to work properly.

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

You need a biofilm chelator as well like lactoferrin, NAC, or systemic enzymes for the antimicrobial agent to work properly.

Ok, thanks :) Would "Kirkman Labs Biofilm Defense" count as a biofilm chelator? Or is that something else? I live in Scandinavia, and not all of these items seems to be easily available for me... 

Ok, thanks :) Would "Kirkman Labs Biofilm Defense" count as a biofilm chelator? Or is that something else? I live in Scandinavia, and not all of these items seems to be easily available for me... 

Yes, this supplement would be considered as a systemic enzyme. Take it on any empty stomach twice a day.

Yes, this supplement would be considered as a systemic enzyme. Take it on any empty stomach twice a day.

What about "Twinlab Super Enzyme Caps"? It's a lot cheaper, but I won't buy it if Kirkman is better! Figured I'll order from iHerb :)

What about "Twinlab Super Enzyme Caps"? It's a lot cheaper, but I won't buy it if Kirkman is better! Figured I'll order from iHerb :)

The twinlab product is a digestive enzyme and cant be used as a systemic enzyme.

The twinlab product is a digestive enzyme and cant be used as a systemic enzyme.

Thanks again for clearing this up, John. 

I'm now ordering the following supplements (hoping that I'll get the enzymes past the border, I know it's strict rools regarding the importing of enzymes around here..!): 

- Mega Zyme Systemic Enzymes

- Nature's Way Pepogest Peppermint Oil capsules 

- Nature's Way Activated Choarcoal 

- Enzymedica Digest Basic Digestive Enzymes 

- Now Foods L-Glutamine 

Can I take both the enzymes at the same time?

Shuold I take the systemic enzymes with meals? 

Should I take the different supplements at a certain time, or just follow the instructions? :)

• John, can one use MCT oil for the 2 Tbsp of coconut oil a day you recommend? I'm guessing "no" but just want to make sure.

• Not sure if you ever got a solution, but if not, have you ever tried seeing a functional medicine doctor? If you go to the website for the Institute of Functional Medicine they have a data base that help you find a nearby practitioner.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file