What To Eat When I Cannot Get (Afford) Grassfed Meat?

So this is my first big jump into the paleo community and I need some advice. I'm 25, 5'6", 350lbs. I eat a regular SAD diet with emotion binging thrown in. During high school I went from 350 down to 200 and back up to 350 in about a year with a course of protein-shake crash dieting and overtraining (1.5 hours per day for 5 days on 800 calories per day.)

Since then I've been trying to get back down to size without destroying my adrenals. I know for a fact that I can't half-ass things. The scale doesn't move for me on 70% compliance. With that said I have a problem.

I can't afford grassfed meat in my area. Like, literally. Paleo is so popular right now where I am (Seattle) that most farms are sold out constantly of everything save half-cow weights. At whole foods beef is $12-15 a lb. I've tried getting a cow-pooling group together for months but I still can't afford the investment on my $18,000 a year salary.

Main Question:

I can get decent deals on sardines and pastured eggs, and while I don't really like the taste of either i'd rather lose weight than enjoy what I eat. So, is it possible for me to forgo grass-fed meat, save for one meal a week, and eat eggs and sardines? Can I survive on a diet of 80% fat?

Notes regarding the rest of my plan:

I plan on eating a diet of green smoothies (sans the fruit), bulletproof coffee, and whatever protein I can afford. I also plan on using a modified lean-gains protocol regarding eating times and relative macro-ratios (eating more veggies and some raspberries on workout days and more fat on rest days). I also plan on starting with the Simplefit protocol while I work on building up my strength again. I will buy the appropriate products (zeo) as I can afford them. I plan on sleeping 6 hours a night.

Health Markers:

Cholesterol: Borderline high as of 2 years ago, no medication

Blood pressure: 135/55 last test (high number due to "white coat syndrome" as I was worried I was having a heart attack - turned out to be Tietze syndrome.)

Low vitamin d two years ago (supplement 1,000 IU daily)

41% bodyfat

Comments

• Start eating pastured eggs all the time. Throw minimum 3 raw egg yolks only into a protein shake. You will never know they are there. Eggs are probably the best bang for the buck literally. Source out high quality coffee and start drinking Bulletproof coffee every morning. That changed my life.

Grass fed butter is expensive but not when you consider that you are replacing your breakfast with it.

Whatever you do, don't workout and sleep hack you won't lose weight. Do one or the other. I personally think working out is very over-rated. You are better off just concentrating on eating right and sleeping well

FYI...you can eat regular meat too, it's just not optimal,but it's a helluva lot better than eating bread and sugar.
  • Start eating pastured eggs all the time. Throw minimum 3 raw egg yolks only into a protein shake. You will never know they are there. Eggs are probably the best bang for the buck literally. Source out high quality coffee and start drinking Bulletproof coffee every morning. That changed my life.

Grass fed butter is expensive but not when you consider that you are replacing your breakfast with it.

Whatever you do, don't workout and sleep hack you won't lose weight. Do one or the other. I personally think working out is very over-rated. You are better off just concentrating on eating right and sleeping well

FYI...you can eat regular meat too, it's just not optimal,but it's a helluva lot better than eating bread and sugar.

• You live in Seattle and you can't find cheap grass fed beef? Have you tried local farmer's markets? I'm in California and I can get 85% ground grass fed beef for $4/pound at the local farmer's market. Buck a pound over grain fed commercial meat in the grocery store, not a big detriment to the wallet.
  • hemp may be a source of most of the same nutrients
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013

hemp may be a source of most of the same nutrients

... not on a BP diet. Why are you spamming your hemp nonsense on here everywhere? Cut that shit off.

To OP:

Get whatever lean meats you can afford. Even factory raised meats are better than no meat. Always. This means you'll probably eating tons of eggs, chicken breasts, whatever lean beef you can get. Maybe even lean pork occasionally. Just make sure to get lean cuts. 

Remember that you have to have a fat source with your meals... So, even normal butter, olive oil. Coconut oil is probably on the expensive side. Just make sure you don't skimp on fat, cause neither paleo nor BP is a low fat diet. 

Also offal. If you can stomach it. Cheap. Some veggies are cheaper than others - see my notes on budgeting. 

Supplement with more D3 (at least 4-5k) and at least Iodine+selenium and Magnesium. All 3 can be sourced cheaply.

• My 2c worth

D3 Supplement from Vitacost.com very cheap, you should be using 1000IU per 25lb of body weight as per Dave's recommendation.

I am 4 weeks in and lost 4.5 kg (approx 10lb) started off at about 345lb, happy so far ....

good luck

• If you do need help finding farms around your area to get "grass fed" products this website will show you all the farms around your area and state to get "grass fed" products. It works nation wide.

http://www.eatwild.com/

I found farms in eastern Washington where I live that sell grass fed meat for $4/lb. It's only $1 more than most corn fed beef I have found. 

• I order from US Wellness.  75% fat ground beef is $6.45/lb.  15% off coupon brings it to $5.48/lb.

Add $7.50 for shipping and a $75.00 minimum and it's a pretty good deal.  Where I live regular garbage ground beef is $5/lb.

Search for coupons on the Google. 

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

If you don't care what you eat and you'd rather lose fat, have you investigated the Rapid Fat Loss Protocol?

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/rapid-fat-loss-protocol/