Bulletproof Coffee And Acid Reflux

Going gluten-free and paleo virtually eliminated my chronic acid reflux from which I suffered for about 10 years. However, I still consistently get acid reflux after drinking caffeinated coffee and other highly caffeinated drinks (drinking a couple cups of caffeinated tea will also do this). Basically, I've boiled down my acid reflux triggers to gluten, alcohol and caffeinated drinks (chocolate doesn't do it, despite the small amounts of caffeine).

I'm gravitating towards a Bulletproof diet, but I just assume I can't do the Bulletproof coffee. I believe Dave mentioned on a podcast that the vast majority of people who think they have a negative reaction to coffee are probably just reacting to the mycotoxins (I believe he said this when addressing the relationship between gluten-sensitivity and caffeine-sensitivity). Thus, I'm very curious to try Bulletproof coffee.

Does anyone who has suffered from post-coffee acid reflux have experience with Bulletproof coffee?

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Hi Michael,

Your question is posted in October last year, just saw it when browsing through old posts and since i have experience in this area i thought i would answer hoping that you would read it sooner or later.

Coming from the Netherlands where a lot of people drink coffee and not having serious issues with drinking coffee i experienced the same issue as you when i moved to Shanghai. Started to drink coffee from different kind of beans but it would always turn into an acid reflux, at one time it got quite serious. At some point i even completely stopped drinking coffee. Later i found this site and read about toxins in coffee, that did ring a bell since i did also experience jitters, muscle stifness and slight headaches.

So i decided, just like you, to try out the BulletProof coffee and my experience with this coffee is that all of those issues are not present anymore. This confirms to me that there is a difference between BP coffee and other brands.
  • hzahza ✭✭
    I have really bad reflux too, but I'm still new to the BP concept, and have only just worked out that wheat has been a big factor in this problem that goes back 20-25 years for me (thanks BP Podcast for calling attention to Wheat Belly Blog!).

Anyway, I don't notice any spike in reflux symptoms after drinking coffee like I do after consuming sugar or bread. I'm continuing to monitor things, and I'll update once I have a little more experience to draw from.

In the meantime, you could experiment with a lighter roast, as the roasting process (if I understand correctly) increases the acidity of the end product. I've also been wanting to try using green coffee beans to make coffee, having read recently that green coffee is now considered a "superfood," although it's not supposed to taste all that good...
  • No problem!

Ive had massive issues with acid reflux for many years. I drink bulletproof coffee every morning, infact, pushing the limits today, feeling pretty....energetic!!!

And i also found that after I stopped eating gluten my acid reflux disappeared which is amazing.

Go nuts!!

• RodRod The Rodfather

No problem!

Ive had massive issues with acid reflux for many years. I drink bulletproof coffee every morning, infact, pushing the limits today, feeling pretty....energetic!!!

And i also found that after I stopped eating gluten my acid reflux disappeared which is amazing.

Go nuts!!

That's awesome! Thanks for the share!!!

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• Having similar issues here.  I've done BP and IM for months now and have great results but I can't shake the acid reflux.  I've taken HCL out the ying-yang, supplemented with L-Glutamine 2 hours post consume, lowered dose of butter/mct etc.  I only drink BP coffee beans but every day I feel a little warmth and burp 2 hours after I've drank the BP coffee.

The benefits of the coffee far out weigh the discomfort which lasts maybe an hour or 2.  Any suggestions?  

My next move is to go from 2 cups to 1 cup with the same amount of MCT (2 tbls) and butter (3-4 tbls).

Thanks!!!

• @Jason Miller

That is a great idea, thanks!

By the way, I made 3 cups of coffee using 1 tbls of BP beans.  I only used 1 cup and kept same amount of butter/mct....much better today, only a burp or two.  I'll throw some apple cider on it next time.

Cheers!