Meditation Hacking?

Any recommendations to bring your meditation to the next level. I've used the beats and tones any other devices or tech that i can buy to help me out????????????

Comments

• 'Jason wrote:

Isolation tank, you'll never go back.

As soon as I'm getting my tax return, I'm going to hit one of those up for the first time. It will be the first priority with that money. Very excited.

There's also the Ganzfield Procedure, which is like a mini tank. Not sure if you would be able to meditate in that state, but I haven't experimented with it enough to answer firmly. Another hack would be to use psychedelics, if you're interested in that. I've had profound meditation experiences (nothing like rigpa though), and if I were to detail the results I got from meditating while on psychedelics, I'd probably be labeled as a nut in a heart beat.Then there's that little electric device that Dave plugs into his temples, but I don't know anything about that.
  • hzahza ✭✭
    Have you tried the emWave yet? That's a simple device that helps train you to use breath to maximize the meditative effect.
  • isolation tried that definitely an experience just hard closet one is an hour away and I'm in new york it runs about 150 a session. As far as psychedelics I love mushrooms just hard to come by, I am working on an ayuscha trip. emWave believe or not I have the whole program just bought it about a month ago. I was all excited to use it and my disc drive broke on my mac so I have to get it fixed...........Been looking into the Monroe Instutite any one ever check that out...Started by the guy who made OBEs more mainstream they sell different guided meditation cds and other things but they run programs out of their facility??
  • Honestly... in my experience... find a really really good meditation instructor. For me, there was a 'contact' shift that came from meditating in a class taught by a world class meditation instructor, my meditation practice just took a quantum leap from there... I honestly don't believe it was the instruction, I believe it was the contact.
  • I would suggest you try [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EFT or tapping and you should have a look at the upcoming Tapping World Summit it is free(if you listen to it live). I have found tapping to be a powerful tool for stress reduction and self confidence in comparison to the emwave and other meditation practices. If you want to stick to meditation, try one that focuses on the chakras or emwave.[/font]
  • I'd suggest a mind machine. It goes farther than the tones by also incorporating visual entrainment, which has been proven to be most effective at putting you in a trance-like state.

I actually tried to induce the Ganzfield method...and it didn't work for me. I was very disappointed. Still not sure what happened there. Tried it twice too.

Another idea (though it isn't a "hack") would be to do what the great meditators of the past did. Go on a spirit walk, or isolate yourself in nature. I have a friend who literally went into the woods for three weeks (no contact with anyone) and came back very changed.
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Discover how to become limitless through cognitive and physical enhancement. Join the conversation at http://www.getlimitless.com[/font]
  • I'm going to have to recommend smoking pot

Indomitable- when you break you get right back up

• Has anyone tried experiementing with emwave 2 for various activities (exercising, playing music, eating) and seeing how the coherance levels are effected?

• sit, lie down, or walk. You can meditate doing all of these activities. And stop talking to yourself. For me yoga helps immensely, i do some yoga then relax and meditate. Being in a comfortable place with minimal distractions or in nature. .

• Go do Vipassana. It's free and is 10 days and is available all over the world. http://dhamma.org

• edited February 2013

Vipassana.  It is a meditation technique used by Siddharth Gautama to attain nirvana, therefore becoming the Buddha - the all knowing.  It's pretty tough. I've done 2 10 day courses. I practice at home now. The level of concentration required even to learn the technique is high. It is incredibly powerful. And as you progress in this meditation , you will gradually understand the science and logic behind each step.

• Why don't you try online meditation instructor course. You will save lot of travelling time and your mind will be relaxed.

• Hi, I'm a mindfulness coach and this is what I recommend to my clients. You may find it helpful. 

1. Bulletproof diet (obviously): I've been recommending this to all of my clients if they want to improve brain function and energy.

2. Nootropics: I'm aware of a few that Dave talks about but in addition to that I would also recommend Alpha Brain from Onnit I take two capsules about an hour to hour and a half before a sit and the effects are quite noticeable for me in terms of improved focus and mental clarity. I've also had success in improving vividness of dreams and better recall when taken before sleep.

3. Training specific Mind Skill Sets: These are all capacities that can be cultivated and improved through particular Mind Training exercises. 

• Attention: The skill of holding your attention on what you deem relevant at any given instance is a very important skill when it comes to building other capacities of mind like increased sensory clarity and equanimity, but also for almost any human endeavor (hobbies, work, study, relationship, etc.). I've actually created an app for the iPhone called ReWire that trains focus very well using your own music and brain entrainment tracks.
    • Sensory Clarity: The amount of information you can process through your sense fields (visual, audio, somatic). You can think of this as increasing the resolution or fidelity of your sensory experience. Life in HD. ;)
    • Equanimity: This is a potentially confusing word, but basically it points to being able to reduce resistance in your body mind system. This means being able to maintain a position of balance, allowing all sensory experiences to happen whether pleasant or unpleasant without resistance. Equanimity Formula: Pain x Resistance = Suffering. Practically this capacity works well for me during my cold shower treatments. By opening to all of the sensory experiences instead of resisting them, there is less suffering or stress in the experience of ice cold water. This also translates to better relationships and a happiness not based on conditions. 

4. Having clear goals: This is very important for any endeavor that you undertake. What is the goal of your meditation practice? Reduced stress? Better mental performance? Enlightenment? Pain management? Increased empathy? Improved focus? Your goals will determine what practices you should do to achieve the results you're looking for.

5. Work with a competent meditation coach: There are many types of meditation practice. Finding the right techniques that will maximize results for your particular goals is challenging if you don't know much about mind training. Once you do find some techniques that work, often meditation can trigger periods of psychological confusion, overwhelm, frustration, etc. and can negatively effect your relationships, work and life in general. Working with an experienced, competent coach that is aware of these various possibilities and states that may come up on the meditative path is very important. They can give you a context in which to understand what is going on and help you with how to pass through these periods quickly. This is a dark side of meditation practice that many teachers gloss over because they want to sell you on all the good stuff. The good stuff is definitely there, but as a mindfulness instructor and coach I think it's important to be honest with our clients about the potential risks (though small) and also reassure them that they can be overcome. I have been through these phases and have learned how to navigate them quickly and successfully which is what I help my clients with. 

6. Consistency: This is very important if you want to make any significant progress in any skill. If you want to learn piano, any time that you can throw at the endeavor is going to improve your skill and lessen the overall time it will take to achieve a certain level of proficiency. It is the same for meditation training. Practicing everyday for 20 min. will give you much better results than practicing once a week for 5 min. 

I have many more detailed tips, tricks and techniques but I wanted to cover the big things to try and help you out without writing a book here. ;)

I also have to say, good for you for taking responsibility for your mind and seeking out answers for how you can be the best you can be. Kudos.

If you're interested in having a free consultation to see if you would benefit from working with a mindfulness coach feel free to contact me @mikeredmer on Twitter

Best of luck in your practice. :)

• Read 'The Attention Revolution' by B. Alan Wallace. This will help you assess at what stage you are in your meditation and proscribes techniques for reaching other levels, best book I've read on meditation, he describes mental states very clearly and in ways that for me corresponded very closely with my own experiences.
  • hybridhybrid Cateye vs Isolation
    edited January 2014

Three phase approach to meditation of the integral institute (wilber)

1. In the first phase you develop concentration. It is normally done through counting breaths as your focus. If you are a beginner this is the exercise where you will spend most of your time. Inhale 1, exhale 2, in 3, out 4... and when you get to ten you start over. Paying attention to the spaces between the breaths. Each time you mentally count a number you go back to just doing that, reconnecting. If your mind wanders start over again from 1, if you find yourself counting 11, 12, go back to 1 etc...
    2. Second phase. Your object of meditation is just following the breath but no counting, again being aware of the spaces between the in and the out and the out and the in. 
    3. Third phase. It's more just a formless awareness. Here you practice just presence and being.

Distractions

• When your mind wanders gently bring it back to the present moment, naturally and matter of factly. 
    • If you find you are distracting yourself too much you can try having an object of meditation like counting breaths.
    • It is common to have a phrase to help you reconnect with the exercise and presence. Thinking? Contracting? Resisting? So you might be lost in space and realize it and ask yourself "Resisting?" (Am I resisting the exercise or being present. Or contracting? Am I contracting my being/muscles/... This form of release is called inquiry
    • The more advanced version would be just realizing your distraction and letting it dissolve on its own naturally.

Savasana - Extra points

• Savasana is what is known in yoga as the dead mans pose. Lying face up and relaxing all the body and releasing all tension and contraction
    • Its like lying down meditation. Sort of like the poor mans isolation chamber. Once you get good at it you will fall into states similar to the isolation chamber where you release awareness. 
    • You can do it in bed before sleep, in the morning, mid day siesta.
    • The exercise of consciously relaxing the whole body and letting it drift away I couldnt do without. 
    • Cannabis is very beneficial as it allows you to really enjoy this exercise and get better at it very quickly. You will develop bodyawareness very quickly

I really personally enjoy having the heart math sensor and train 10 minutes a few times a day to practice going into state, its very engaging. This is a quickroad to developing the ability to ground and center yourself. I try to do it three times a day as an exercise. Doing 10 minutes before meditation is excellent, it keeps you better focus end make the best out of your time.