Vitamin C And Work/exercise

I'm been reading through a bunch of forums about not taking vitamin C after your workout or pre-workout. Does this have any validity? Can you take vitamin C the same days you work out, for instance I usually work out in the morning at 5am, and if it take vitamin c around 12pm.

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• DagothUrDagothUr
    edited July 2012
    Hi,

In general, it seems that taking vitamin C pre-workout is fine.

Perhaps taking it too close to a workout could be potentially detrimental in terms of certain signaling pathways in the muscle cells which are crucial for muscle growth and require a certain degree if oxidative stress for optimal functioning.

Post-workout, could be problematic, if insulin sensitivity is of concern here.

During a workout insulin sensitivity improves and vitamin C consumption after a workout can somehow decrease that improved insulin sensitivity you gained.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/optimize-your-supplements/ - here in the vitamin C section Dave talks about this.
  • Just take it on non workout days, multiples times a day, 500mg x 2-4 times a day.
  • 'Filipe wrote:

Just take it on non workout days, multiples times a day, 500mg x 2-4 times a day.

Perhaps, this approach is optimum.

It also encourages hormesis e.g. cycling certain supplement so the body doesn’t get accustomed to their action.
  • Thanks for the input. I usually work out 5x a day. Nothing crazy maybe to different exercises on a muscle group for 3 reps, so 6 reps total for the day. I'm wondering if I workout in the morning is it okay, just to take it at night? If I take it only when I don't workout that would be 2 days out of the week.
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

Thanks for the input. I usually work out 5x a day. Nothing crazy maybe to different exercises on a muscle group for 3 reps, so 6 reps total for the day. I'm wondering if I workout in the morning is it okay, just to take it at night? If I take it only when I don't workout that would be 2 days out of the week.

Do you mean 5x per week? ;-)