Recovery From (Minor) Oral Surgery

Greetings,

I've just had surgery to take out a non-impacted, inverted wisdom tooth bud (thanks wheat-deformed palate!). I wonder if anyone has advice for a speedy recovery? I figure eating BPD should ensure a quick recovery, but perhaps someone has other insights.

I am particularly interested in warding off infection without using the antibiotics they gave me. They gave me amoxicillin 500mg and told me to take one every 8 hours. I don't want to do this, because I worry about my gut bacteria and I reckon I can head off an infection early anyway. Is this a dumb idea? Should I play it safe and worry about rebuilding by gut fauna later?

I figure that if I boil some water, add some salt and 1 drop of Lugol's iodine and then hold the cooled solution in my mouth for a few moments, before gently spitting it out, that should pretty well disinfect my mouth.

I've taken 20k IUs of D3 today, I normally take 10k. Was also going to aim for 10 grams of vit c per day. My plan is to subsist on melted butter and whey protein until I'm healed.

Anyone have thoughts?

Comments

• You could try rinsing with coconut oil.

Have even read of people that brush their teeth with it for gum disease control. I have never tried that, But I have the book

"The Coconut Oil Miracle" and there is a whole chapter on the whys and wherefores of it's antigerm (bacteria, viral and fungal) properties.
  • Thanks for your thoughts PaleoZen.

I gave in and am now taking the antibiotics. I guess I will have to order some probiotics when I am finished.

I still tried your coconut oil suggestion though. I have been rinsing with coconut oil and mixing it with a bit of baking soda to make a sort of tooth paste. This is much better than baking soda alone. I think I have found my new toothpaste.
  • Hmm, that sounds like a great idea!

I will have to try that toothpaste out as well image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />