Negativity Towards Dave?

Anytime I search for stuff about Dave, I find mostly negative things being said. Sure he sells many items and has a stake in talking it up to make money. However, people act like you have to purchase something from him, to get all the free information. I guess it goes to show just because you eat paleo doesn't mean your going to be any less of an ignorant a**hole. Anyone seeing this or is it just me? Some of it makes sense, internet marketing has made us all become cynical to anyone who is selling something, online. I will continue to buy some items from Dave and some on my own from amazon or where ever.
Tagged:

Comments

• The biggest critique and highly criticized thing I've seen about Dave is the Bulletproof Coffee. Almost every site with high traffic has discussions going on about this. Most of the criticisms stem from the talk of buying the coffee Dave sells. In my opinion, I'm fine with it. It's expensive and I'll let each person chime in on whether they feel it's a good buy. However, I respect the idea that despite the fact that they sell coffee, Dave has also outlined exactly how to find a quality coffee source and what some of the results of a non-toxic coffee should be. It would be different if he claimed UC was the ONLY answer, but that's hardly the truth. If you choose to buy his product, fine, if not, fine.

As for other criticisms, many of them come from people not necessarily interested some the stuff he does and advocated. If your interest is just an average Paleo diet, then you might find the Bulletproof Diet a bit extreme. However, most educated folks on diet/nutrition don't see issues with the Bulletproof Diet and the way it is presented. In my opinion, this is the best part about the Bulletproof approach, as it should be. It's the backbone of the entire site. Certain people attacking Dave's off-the-wall claims about diet, exercise, sleep, cognitive ability and other bio-hacking, chances are they haven't experimented with the stuff themselves. This is why I enjoy Dave's approach so much. Not everything he does I'm educated about and as someone who is willing to try anything on myself, I'm interested. Until I do it myself, I won't advocate for it. However, until I see a reason to not try it or recommend it, I'm not going to bash either.

Dave Asprey is a huge positive in this community. I'm not just saying this because we're on his website. There are other sites I frequent and read everyday and I wouldn't say the same thing about everyone.
    Life is one giant experiment.
  • Excellent man! I am so glad I found Dave and his site. I quit coffee because I figured it was the caffeine jacking me up. I switched to an organic swiss processed decaf and still was jacked up. I had no clue about mycotoxins, and there adverse effects on humans. I love coconut oil, but had no clue about concentrated mct oil. CES machines, I had never heard of them before. I love learning new things and love to experiment. I started researching health back in the 9th grade. Thanks to trial and error and always questioning what I was doing, I eventually stumbled on to paleo. Now I am refining again and getting more serious. I work at a target and I stand above many people physically and mentally because of diet, exercise and mental work. This site will now have me become even more of a bad ass. I hope to become more active here on the forum as I support the entire approach Dave follows.
  • 'That wrote:

I love learning new things and love to experiment. I started researching health back in the 9th grade. Thanks to trial and error and always questioning what I was doing, I eventually stumbled on to paleo. Now I am refining again and getting more serious. I work at a target and I stand above many people physically and mentally because of diet, exercise and mental work.

I ehco much of the same in my own life. I think most who are around here would say the same. That's what this site is all about.
    Life is one giant experiment.
  • There are always haters out there trying to bring people down...I'm more interested in the ones who want to build folks up. Simple as that.

The world needs folks like Dave who are willing to push the envelope and experiment.

Not everyone is going to be ready for his style; but that's fine. Let them do what works for them. We'll keep pushing forward in our own way.
  • 'dpwdan' wrote:

Let them do what works for them. We'll keep pushing forward in our own way.

This is an area I am actively engaged in. I find the more I learn, the more I feel the need to inform people. Sadly, most people just don't care. I find myself on a thin line between giving them the facts and then beating them over the head with them. The honest truth is, who cares what people do. It is there free choice, whatever makes them happy. I am looking to become more stoic in many aspects of my life. One of which is not being affected by others opinions. Everyday at work, people find out I put butter, in my coffee. They think its a ludicrous idea and that I am a crazy person. That is there opinion, and sure they are ignorant, but its there right to be ignorant. The more I focus on myself, and concern myself less with others, the better I feel.
  • 'That wrote:

This is an area I am actively engaged in. I find the more I learn, the more I feel the need to inform people. Sadly, most people just don't care. I find myself on a thin line between giving them the facts and then beating them over the head with them. The honest truth is, who cares what people do. It is there free choice, whatever makes them happy. I am looking to become more stoic in many aspects of my life. One of which is not being affected by others opinions. Everyday at work, people find out I put butter, in my coffee. They think its a ludicrous idea and that I am a crazy person. That is there opinion, and sure they are ignorant, but its there right to be ignorant. The more I focus on myself, and concern myself less with others, the better I feel.

Right on. The thing is, there are plenty of people out there who will take the message and run with it in a positive direction if given the opportunity...our job is to give that chance...the ones who poop on it get what they deserve; the ones who pick it up and go will be the ones who were meant to benefit and will see the fruits of their labor so to speak.

The older I get, the more I'm realizing how true the old adage is that...you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make em drink...
  • 'dpwdan' wrote:

Right on. The thing is, there are plenty of people out there who will take the message and run with it in a positive direction if given the opportunity...our job is to give that chance...the ones who poop on it get what they deserve; the ones who pick it up and go will be the ones who were meant to benefit and will see the fruits of their labor so to speak.

The older I get, the more I'm realizing how true the old adage is that...you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make em drink...

When it comes to sensitive things like diet, some folks are even more reactionary - if you try to lead them to the water, they'll fight and kick and roll their eyes the whole way and then refuse to drink just because they never told you they were thirsty to start.

Wait for them to complain about thirst before you mention you know where the water is.

I'm as guilty as the next at getting over-excited, over-chatty, and over-pushy on things that I am personally engaged in. But if you want to have an effect outside yourself, the stoic approach is (maddeningly) the most effective.

Good luck!
  • Personally, I like Daves base approach and I'll follow his example. "I was overweight and unhealthy. I tried X, Y and Z and it had little or no effect. I tried the techniques outlined here and they did have a positive affect for me. It turns out, there's some science behind why it worked for me. If you're impressed, why not give it a try. Here's how."

Frankly, I don't know if the Bulletproof diet is going to work out for me. However, most diets I've seen presented track one or two metrics (weight, inches). Dave lines up a whole range of health indicators that he expects the diet to change and then even gives you some opinions on the different ways to assess those indicators. Dave has set us up to figure out if the Bulletproof diet works, and more importantly promotes the biohacker approach in exploring whatever moves you in the direction you want to go.

That deserves respect. If my numbers move in the wrong direction, I'll try something else.
  • My girlfriend sent me this picture, ( http://i.imgur.com/6WWdE.jpg )

after I wouldn't let up about what she SHOULD do to optimize her health. Its time I lived my own life and let others do what they want. Definitely got owned here.

Enjoy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file