Cold Therapy Suggestions.

I've been taking cold showers for over a month and have done it for longer in the past. I suspected my shower starts very cold, but the temperature rises. Upon deeper investigation, after a few minutes temperature rises to about 85 degrees F. I feel like I am getting short changed version of cold therapy. I've thought of many ideas, but some seem impractical. One that seems promising is, running a fan at the shower to increase cool air. The water heater is in the attic and not practical to turn off and on. If there was a way to run the water through some ice and still get good spray, I'd try it. Other than this, seems like I may need to check out Jack Kruse's methods. My dad owns a store with an ice maker, so getting ice won't be a costly challenge. The idea of doing my morning meditation with ice under a compression shirt, seems ideal. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestion, please let me know and I will be forever in your debt.

Comments

• Do you have a bath tab? I find it easy to get the water down to 55F with little ice and get some quality reading done with 3/4 immersed for 30-45 mins. Have heard of others buying big tubs from hardware stores to get in. Seeing as you have access to ice you should be good to go. I am jealous!

• Do you have a bath tab? I find it easy to get the water down to 55F with little ice and get some quality reading done with 3/4 immersed for 30-45 mins. Have heard of others buying big tubs from hardware stores to get in. Seeing as you have access to ice you should be good to go. I am jealous!

I am looking to do this in the morning, without too much time invested. Something like laying on the bed in a compression shirt, while meditating for 20-30 minutes seems ideal. Running a bath, getting the temperature down, then sitting for another 20 minutes, doesn't seem like good time management. I may experiment with, turning the water temperature down on the hot water heater and blowing a fan into the shower. When I get out of the shower still wet, and stand under the ac vent, I often begin to shiver. Thanks for the advice, I may give it a shot.
  • I've been doing some CT for a while. I'm taking a bit of a break for the summer, maybe once every 7-10 days in sub-60 degree water. I plan to do some serious experimenting and hacking once it gets cold again. The areas I plan to really focus on are...

1. Pre-cold therapy training

2. Post-cold therapy training

3. Cold therapy and fasting

4. Cold therapy and supplementation

5. Cold therapy and Dexcom blood glucose monitoring

I'm building a new garage gym with a treadmill (cardio testing), pull-up bar (strength testing) and an open space for a large drum I will be purchasing for full-bodu submersion for cold therapy. I plan to have it all ready by mid-October when the temperatures start to drop in my area.
    Life is one giant experiment.
  • You can always move north Here on our farm, our shallow well water stays 60 and below. Enough to really cool off. I'm not adapted enough yet to brave the ice tub yet.
  • 'KA24' wrote:

I've been doing some CT for a while. I'm taking a bit of a break for the summer, maybe once every 7-10 days in sub-60 degree water. I plan to do some serious experimenting and hacking once it gets cold again. The areas I plan to really focus on are...

1. Pre-cold therapy training

2. Post-cold therapy training

3. Cold therapy and fasting

4. Cold therapy and supplementation

5. Cold therapy and Dexcom blood glucose monitoring

I'm building a new garage gym with a treadmill (cardio testing), pull-up bar (strength testing) and an open space for a large drum I will be purchasing for full-bodu submersion for cold therapy. I plan to have it all ready by mid-October when the temperatures start to drop in my area.

Have any specific links to this above information? Would love to see how cold therapy affects training. Why are you slowing down on the CT during the summer? This is when most people would be brave enough to try it. How do you plan on managing a full drum? Will you fill the water daily and add ice, or fill water once a week? I take interest in Ct for health and longevity as I have become so apathetic about working out.
  • KA24KA24
    edited June 2012
    I'm loosely following Jack Kruse's recommendations on the timing. He argues that during the summer, one would be less exposed to the cold, especially during the very hot months (in Ohio, June, July and August). This makes sense as even someone outside 24/7 without adequate shelter would rarely be exposed to cold temperatures during these months. I'll slowly bring it back in during the fall, probably 2-3 times a week, and during the very cold winter, 5+ times a week (which will include ice baths, soaks in the "drum" and some cold training outside in the elements). He also argues that carbohydrates, roots, tubers, fruit and different vegetables would be abundant during the summer and non-existent during the winter, so the diet has also shifted toward more carbs during the summer as well. I plan to go more than 50% of the time Ketogenic in the winter.

I've done some other experimenting on strength training after CT but have had inconclusive results. When I first started, I noticed great increases immediately post-CT, but that wasn't consistent. I want to test both cardivascular endurance/heart rate and strength capacity/endurance. I've also done some experimenting with blood glucose pre and post-CT and noticed massive differences. Glucose levels down in the 50's after CT, even post-meal, which definitely intrigues me. I know there is some merit to Glycogen being burned very quickly after CT, which is the primary reason I want to get a Dexcom to see how rapidly blood sugar moves while in the cold and afterward.

With the drum, it's likely going to be one of those industrial sized trash cans. I'll probably fill it up maybe once a week w/ice to get it to the right temperature, but I figure that if it doesn't get overly cold, the average temperature throughout the winter here inside the garage is going to stay above freezing, but below the 50 degree mark. This will really allow me to save on water and additional cost and time to fill the drum, at the same time, keeping it cold enough for CT almost any time. Probably dump and re-fill it every week or two.

I know, a lot of rambling, but I'm definitely excited about the house and will probably be starting some sort of consistently way to track some progress. There are some great places on other forums where people are really hitting the N=1 experiments with CT very hard. It's one of the most fascinating things out there right now and definitely a nice branch off for someone who likes to experiment.
    Life is one giant experiment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file