Seasonal Allergies?

It's that time of year again.

My allergies have gotten a lot better since I've been eating paleo, but I still have a handful of weeks per year where my nose and eyes are itchy until I eventually give up and take antihistamines.

I'd rather not take them if I can find something else that works. What's the bulletproof way to fight back against seasonal allergies?

Comments

• Try Antronex. It tends to work very well for allergies. Dave recommends it.
  • Luckily, eliminating grains has almost 100% gotten rid of my allergy problems. Since this is my first spring/summer eating largely grain-free, keeping antronex as a possibility (if any of the symptoms return during times of greater allergen density) rather than going back to a combination of Zyrtec and Flonaise daily.
    Brian
    Why does if feel like we know less than nothing about how to be healthy?
  • I noticed that allergies aren't as bad for me since I started taking vitamin D. I started on 5000 units per day and add a second pill every few days. This helped clear my nasal passages. I stopped using my CPAP machine shortly after the vitamin D kicked in. Not sure if it was weight loss, vitamin D or both that helped.
  • 'zleman93' wrote:

Try Antronex. It tends to work very well for allergies. Dave recommends it.

Where / when does Dave recommend Antronex? I'm having trouble finding it. Thanks!
  • 'DianneM' wrote:

Where / when does Dave recommend Antronex? I'm having trouble finding it. Thanks!

When I have talked with him personally. I don't think he mentions it on the site.
  • 'zleman93' wrote:

When I have talked with him personally. I don't think he mentions it on the site.

Thanks! I went out on a limb and bought some Antronex, and it does seem to work, which is great because I cannot function on Benadryl or Zyrtec.
  • Other things to try.

A bit of local raw honey.

Elderberry.
  • Hey there. Am I correct in assuming that the Antronex is used as a treatment for allergies, or are you supposed to suplement with it constantly as a preventative measure? Just curious.
  • 'JHunterW' wrote:

Hey there. Am I correct in assuming that the Antronex is used as a treatment for allergies, or are you supposed to suplement with it constantly as a preventative measure? Just curious.

You can use it during allergy season when you think your allergies are picking up and continue using as a preventative measure. You can safely take it year round as a preventative measure too.
  • I actually had REALLY bad allergies (4 - 6 sinus infections/year), until I had acupuncture. I can't really explain it, but it worked. I wrote a pretty in-depth blog post about it: http://chip-hanna.com/how-to-get-rid-of-allergies-forever-acupuncture/
  • Always glad to hear an acupuncture success story!
  • My allergies have generally been fine the last few months, but recently its kicked up a bit. Over the weekend, I had a full bottle of GT's Synergy Kombucha, and things have fallen down hill since then. Is it possible something about the kombucha has derailed my system, for the short term?
  • 'That wrote:

My allergies have generally been fine the last few months, but recently its kicked up a bit. Over the weekend, I had a full bottle of GT's Synergy Kombucha, and things have fallen down hill since then. Is it possible something about the kombucha has derailed my system, for the short term?

This is interesting,

Kombucha should contain both bacteria and fungi. Perhaps there may be a probiotic effect. Perhaps some components produced by the microorganisms may somehow modulate the immune response. However, when I drank homemade combucha derived from either green or black tea, I didn’t seem to notice such an effect.

In general other options to consider:

Short term: in addition to antihistaminic drugs like Zyrtec, one can try preparations containing pseudoephedrine. Just in case: avoid taking pseudoephedrine at least 5 hours before going to bed. My Zeo-based experiments show it has profound negative impact on sleep quality. So in the morning or first part of the day seems optimum.

Long term: Immunotherapy (currently in process with positive results) and I also have personal anecdotal evidence that regular/daily Cold Thermogenesis can by a mechanism unknown to me modulate my allergy in a positive way, eliminating 95% of symptoms.
  • Can anyone recommend dosages for Antronex?  

Lot's of nasty stuff floating around the very hot east cost these days.