Armi's Supero Hero Radio

Hey all,

I just finished listening to all of the Bulletproofexec podcasts and have now gone back and started from the beginning listening to Armi's first five Superhero radio episodes. Does anyone know if the show notes are available for those. I can't find them anywhere on Bulletproofexec and Armi's website is basically just a placeholder now. No real information there at all. I wish we could peruse his old web site blog too because there was a lot of great information there. I did find one web site that had links to all of his old posts that I'd love to read, but the links just take you to his armilegge.com homepage. The series on tooth decay looked real promising.

Great site and loving the BP lifestyle!!!

Greg
Tagged:

Comments

• I would also like to get those show notes.
  • I wonder why they aren't included on the blog. Fortunately, I just took notes on the first 5 or 7 podcasts as it is, but it'd still be helpful. After you posted this I searched up Armi Legge out of curiosity, and I have to say, this kid used to sound intelligent.... but now he sounds ridiculous. "If you accept the following truths, your weight loss efforts will be much easier:

• Calories count.
    • Exercise can help you lose weight.
    • Carbs don’t make you fat.
    • Fructose doesn’t make you fat.
    • You aren’t fat because of toxins.
    • Most fat loss supplements don’t work.
    • Food companies and the medical industry are not trying to keep you fat.

Clinging to false beliefs distracts you from seeing the truth.

If you haven’t lost weight, you’ve failed to establish a caloric deficit." "he truth is that if you want to lose weight, you need to eat less and move more. Fat loss experts like Alan AragonJames KriegerAnthony Colpo, and Lyle McDonald get endless flak because they’ve been saying this for years.

Calories count. It may not be what you want to hear, but that’s the deal."

I find this extremely funny, because on armilegge.com he boasts about how he's posted articles on various sites, including Ben Greenfield's. People he has worked with, or openly appraised for their work, include Ben, Paul Jaminet, Mat Lalonde, Dave, and Sean Croxton - all who have basically said the exact opposite of the above people and that hormones and food toxins matter drastically more than calories. I don't know where this kid went wrong, lol.

http://equilibriohm.wordpress.com/

http://biohacksblog.com/

Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and virtue than education without natural ability. - Marcus Aurelius 

• What's even more funny is he posted only 2 citations for that entire post (which was much longer) about how calories matter, and one compared the Atkins, Ornish, Zone, and Weight Watchers Diet, and one was a study on blood type diets. The first study says this, "After 2 months of maximum effort, participants selected their own levels of dietary adherence." Terrible study. Sorry, don't know why I chose to rant but I felt like I needed to, lol.

Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and virtue than education without natural ability. - Marcus Aurelius 

• Yeah I feel like armi took whatever happened between him and dave pretty hard. No doubt he's highly intelligent, but he's also pretty young and is probably plagued with all kinds of ego issues.
  • edited June 2013

Man. Yeah what a statement. Just hearing caloric deficit makes me angry. The only thing that I agreed with there is that most fat loss supplements don't work.  

I hate it when folks just try to steamroll people into believing their views: "Calories count. It may not be what you want to hear, but that’s the deal." Wow... thanks for the insight...

• edited June 2013

I have to say I am finding myself agreeing more with what folks like Armi (and Colpo, et.al.) are saying.  You'll find that other folks, like Robb Wolf, are coming around to the same sort of thinking, specifically around the whole carb thing.

It worries me that folks have latched on to low carbs or calories don't count like it's dogma now and are saying they are angry or that "the kid went wrong" or is "plagued with all kinds of ego issues" for challenging these beliefs.  

I was one of these people.  I firmly believed that calories didn't count and low carb, low toxin, high food quality was the way to go.  Why?  Because it worked.  I lost well over 100 pounds doing a low carb paleo diet.  When you have a lot of weight to lose, and unmeasured, eat all you want, low carb paleo diet works like magic, the weight just come off easy for me.  Why did my beliefs change?  When they didn't work anymore.  I could have stuck to the dogma and watched my weight start to slowly creep up and get more and more tired ... or I could revaluate things.  So I made a few adjustments:  I cut down on portion sizes, especially with meats, cut down on fats and started eating more carbs.  I felt a LOT better after that and dropped the 20 pounds I'd gained over the a winter eating 100% paleo, and had started drinking bulletproof coffee in the morning.   So guess what, for me, calories DID count.  It wasn't what I wanted to hear, but it was true.  Wow, the kid with all kinds of ego issues seems to have been right.

But my point here is this:  stop with the just tossing hate at someone that disagrees with you, because it starts to sound like dogma at that point and we start to sound like the raw vegan crowd.  

Anthony Colpo said it better than I, though, 

The ability to constantly analyze your beliefs and update or even abandon them when the evidence dictates is a sign of intellectual strength, honesty and maturity. Unfortunately, far too many people in the diet and health arena become attached to pet beliefs, then cling to them with the type of blind faith that would make any religious fundamentalist proud. When confronted with conflicting information or opinions, these people often become reflexively angry and alarmingly vitriolic.

Read the entire interview with Robb Wolf here, it's well worth the time:

http://anthonycolpo.com/interview-robb-wolf-talks-paleo-low-carb-crossfit-caffeine-addiction/

• edited June 2013

Dude, it's his attitude that is annoying, not necessarily the information (though I don't agree with it). And what 16 year old ISN'T plagued by ego issues? chill the fuck out.

• edited June 2013

I have to say I am finding myself agreeing more with what folks like Armi (and Colpo, et.al.) are saying.  You'll find that other folks, like Robb Wolf, are coming around to the same sort of thinking, specifically around the whole carb thing.

It worries me that folks have latched on to low carbs or calories don't count like it's dogma now and are saying they are angry or that "the kid went wrong" or is "plagued with all kinds of ego issues" for challenging these beliefs.  

I was one of these people.  I firmly believed that calories didn't count and low carb, low toxin, high food quality was the way to go.  Why?  Because it worked.  I lost well over 100 pounds doing a low carb paleo diet.  When you have a lot of weight to lose, and unmeasured, eat all you want, low carb paleo diet works like magic, the weight just come off easy for me.  Why did my beliefs change?  When they didn't work anymore.  I could have stuck to the dogma and watched my weight start to slowly creep up and get more and more tired ... or I could revaluate things.  So I made a few adjustments:  I cut down on portion sizes, especially with meats, cut down on fats and started eating more carbs.  I felt a LOT better after that and dropped the 20 pounds I'd gained over the a winter eating 100% paleo, and had started drinking bulletproof coffee in the morning.   So guess what, for me, calories DID count.  It wasn't what I wanted to hear, but it was true.  Wow, the kid with all kinds of ego issues seems to have been right.

But my point here is this:  stop with the just tossing hate at someone that disagrees with you, because it starts to sound like dogma at that point and we start to sound like the raw vegan crowd.  

Anthony Colpo said it better than I, though, 

Read the entire interview with Robb Wolf here, it's well worth the time:

http://anthonycolpo.com/interview-robb-wolf-talks-paleo-low-carb-crossfit-caffeine-addiction/

Yeah people tend to see in black and white. And this is no different. What proves that calories matter? Well pretty much any study ever done about fat loss.

Do hormones matter? Of course. 

In Joe Rogan podcast Dave had the nerve to use the estrogen ampull they use on cows as evidence why calories matter. Well no kidding, if I inject myself with AAS right now bringing my hormonal levels way over the normal range I am going to lose fat. 

Do hormonal levels matter? Yes of course they do. The more test you have the more lean mass and less fat mass. (This is studied). 

But they are not going to be saving you from gaining fat, if you take in more food than you consume.... this is basic thermodynamics... if the nutrient absorbs it HAS to be used for energy or stored. No other options. 

Dave also has made the statement of eating 4000-5000 kcalories for prolonged periods of time without gaining weight. I am calling bullshit. I think Dave THINKS he ate that many kcalories. Eating a 5000 kcalories from meat and fat actually takes hard work. You'd have to eat 4 kilos of beef a day... lol. Someone who allegedly doesn't have time to exercise somehow has time to eat 5000 kcalories a day? Yeah sure. A study suggests that obese persons underestimate their eating BY UP TO 50% and overestimate their activity. I think this is clearly the case with anyone who claims they can eat as much as they want without fat gain. You just haven't found your maintenance level. (btw a study also suggests calorie expenditure varies a lot from person to person so using the same formula might not be viable for all individuals)... Also another study found out that when being fed a calorie surpluss some people up their activity unconsciously (they become more rested throughout the day -> using more energy).

Like MarkDemma stated... Currently I maintain at 3000kcal, if I go above for a period of time I gain weight, if I go below I lose weight.

I understand how most of the paleo crowd might be mistaken though... When you are allowed to eat vegetables, few starch sources and meat a normal person is going to have a hard time overeating.... Even more so if you follow some kind of a fasting protocol... Try eating 5k kcalories in 8 hours, should be fun. 

• I'm not going to get into this whole argument full-heartedly, but I'll just say, if you understand the relationships between leptin, insulin, and uncoupling proteins (and to a lesser degree glucose transporters) you'd realize calories don't matter. Paul Jaminet, who Armi praised during his bulletproof days, lists calories down at the third most important thing for losing weight, and in fact believes food toxins matter most (which Armi basically said is BS in his post I quoted). John Kiefer of carb back loading also destroys the whole argument on calories. Keep in mind, both Paul and John are physicists - the law of thermodynamics cannot be properly applied to our bodies.

Here is a good primer http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/do-calories-matter; here is some more to look at http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2012/02/high-carb-vs-high-fat-for-obese-type-ii.html and http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2012/06/women-have-much-harder-time-losing-body.html.

I can see calories having some significance if you are (1) obese (2) metabolically deranged, or (3) Aiming to maintain a body fat similar to that of Martin Berkhan's year round. Also, I have no difficulty consuming large amounts of calories when I can/want, even eating VLC. It's difficult for me now because I have NO money whatsoever and I can't afford high quality calories as often, so I'd rather eat less calories/food than consume mediocre food (although my food is still not optimal). That's bad because I'm trying to gain weight/muscle. I have seen a study where someone gained weight/muscle on a 800kcal a day diet, though, so it's possible. But regardless, if I eat a pound of meat that is 80/20, I'm getting like 860kcal right there, I can still fit in a good 60g of protein as well (if I'm limiting my protein). A stick of butter would be about the same amount of calories and the same amount of olive oil yields even more calories than butter. If you're eating carbs, throw in some starch and it's even easier. John Wellbourn is a paleo diet advocate and ex-NFL player, currently a well paid trainer/coach. His athletes (body builders, power-lifters, and more) have gotten close to 10,000kcal a day eating a paleo diet. If anything you can include raw dairy and then it's absolutely easy.

• Restricting calories doesn't work too well if your goals are long term fat loss and health. If your goal is short term weight loss it does work somewhat. One of the big problems is that as your body realizes that there is less energy (calories) coming in, it will start finding ways to burn less (your body likes homeostasis). First your body will slow down meaning you will have less energy and your metabolism will slow down. Next since it is trying to conserve energy it will go after muscle because muscle burns more calories than fat. Finally after slowing down your metabolism and eating away at your lean tissues it may finally get to some of your fat. This leaves you weaker, in worse health, lacking energy and your body is primed to more quickly and easily gain all of the weight back (remember you have less muscle mass now to burn energy) and often with a little extra weight as a nice little bonus. This is why so many people yoyo up and down when trying to diet.

Nourish your body with high quality real foods and give it some good hormone affecting (intense) exercise and you will see better long term results. This doesn't mean people need to be afraid of carbs. Some people do better with more carbs than other people do. But just as you should pick good quality proteins and fats (please don't touch soy oil, corn oil etc.) you should also pick high quality carbs. Eat all of the non-starchy vegetables your heart desires, add in some raw dairy if you tolerate it, add in some fruit especially some of the low sugar ones like some of the berries and citrus, even things like rice and potatoes sometimes just don't overdo it.

Nobody is going to be healthier eating Twinkies and Wonder bread all day though. if you are trying to lose fat (or be healthier) you are not going to do well eating potatoes or rice in large quantities every day either. You will need to limit starches and sugars for optimal results, but nobody here will tell you to limit your intake of broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, cabbage,Brussels Sprouts or leafy greens.
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

I find the whole calorie debate fascinating. I'm still very new to biology so I have a lot of reading to do. But it's not possible for a human body to ignore the laws of physics, in that a system receiving more energy than it needs will convert it to another form for storage or use, and a system that receives less energy than it needs will have to receive it's requirement from another source or lower it's requirement.

I agree with the "we're not robots" argument. Food has x calories and we needed less, therefore fat is far too simple. How many calories do we shit out? How many burned? How many other ways can our body use chemical energy? How many other ways can our body store chemical energy, other than body fat?

So much more to learn!

• "But they are not going to be saving you from gaining fat, if you take in more food than you consume.... this is basic thermodynamics... if the nutrient absorbs it HAS to be used for energy or stored. No other options."

That's not saying much.  Thermodynamics applies, but doesn't explain anything.  You eat too few calories, and your body makes up for it by slowing down.  You eat certain calories, your body might store it.  The same amount of calories, different foods, can have an entirely different result hormonally.

"Dave also has made the statement of eating 4000-5000 kcalories for prolonged periods of time without gaining weight. I am calling bullshit. I think Dave THINKS he ate that many kcalories. Eating a 5000 kcalories from meat and fat actually takes hard work. You'd have to eat 4 kilos of beef a day... lol."

Or you'd have to have 3 sticks of butter, melted into 3 cups of coffee, to reach 4500 calories.  You could use 2 coffees, plus MCT oil, plus a pound of beef/lamb and you'd already be at about 4000.  Plus I think Dave is 6'4 210 lbs.  It's very possible, and not very hard.

• Kureaa: that is exactly whay I said in my post as well. Calories matter but arent the whole picture.

• I'm not going to get into this whole argument full-heartedly, but I'll just say, if you understand the relationships between leptin, insulin, and uncoupling proteins (and to a lesser degree glucose transporters) you'd realize calories don't matter. Paul Jaminet, who Armi praised during his bulletproof days, lists calories down at the third most important thing for losing weight, and in fact believes food toxins matter most (which Armi basically said is BS in his post I quoted). John Kiefer of carb back loading also destroys the whole argument on calories. Keep in mind, both Paul and John are physicists - the law of thermodynamics cannot be properly applied to our bodies.

Here is a good primer http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/do-calories-matter; here is some more to look at http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2012/02/high-carb-vs-high-fat-for-obese-type-ii.html and http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2012/06/women-have-much-harder-time-losing-body.html.

I can see calories having some significance if you are (1) obese (2) metabolically deranged, or (3) Aiming to maintain a body fat similar to that of Martin Berkhan's year round. Also, I have no difficulty consuming large amounts of calories when I can/want, even eating VLC. It's difficult for me now because I have NO money whatsoever and I can't afford high quality calories as often, so I'd rather eat less calories/food than consume mediocre food (although my food is still not optimal). That's bad because I'm trying to gain weight/muscle. I have seen a study where someone gained weight/muscle on a 800kcal a day diet, though, so it's possible. But regardless, if I eat a pound of meat that is 80/20, I'm getting like 860kcal right there, I can still fit in a good 60g of protein as well (if I'm limiting my protein). A stick of butter would be about the same amount of calories and the same amount of olive oil yields even more calories than butter. If you're eating carbs, throw in some starch and it's even easier. John Wellbourn is a paleo diet advocate and ex-NFL player, currently a well paid trainer/coach. His athletes (body builders, power-lifters, and more) have gotten close to 10,000kcal a day eating a paleo diet. If anything you can include raw dairy and then it's absolutely easy.

Funny you posted 3 links all of 3 confirm exactly what I say. You have to have a caloric deficit (2 of the studies both had a caloric deficit and BEHOLD weight loss occurred). AND like I stated in my first post the relationship isn't linear, nor is it a simple one, and like I said there are other things IN PLAY. 

You quote people like Kiefer (nothing against his diet though). Have you ever read ANY of the research he uses to back up his theories? They are mostly bullshit. Meaning the research he uses is either non-relevant (like studies done on diabetics) or isn't even of the same topic. Nothing against the guy but his notion of morning insulin sensitivity is completely false, post workout glut4 is activated, but insulin activates other gluts as well etc etc. Same with Jack Kruse. I had the unfortunate opportunity to look into what he writes and I quit when he started talking about something like quantum mechanics and quantum content of food and e=mc2. Just too much bullshit. These guys have a dog in the fight, I'd rather make my own research and draw my own conclusions.

I am still waiting for the research where participants overfeed and lose weight. Haven't seen one yet though. 

• Well, the one study I linked showed a group that was overfed and lost more weight, so I don't know where you're drawing your conclusions from. They didn't finish out the study but up until they did, they had lost more weight while eating LESS calories. Read any of Suppversity, he pretty much draws the same conclusions and only relies on hard science. Martin Berkhan as well. They've all shown why calories don't matter to a healthy individual. I know for a fact I eat more calories than I did before because I weigh my food on refeed days and otherwise track it on myfitnesspal.... I'm trying to gain weight and I haven't gained anything. I've been eating 2600 cals compared to 1800-2400, refeed days I eat like 3500 or more. I haven't seen Kiefer use any bullshit arguments against calories, hence why people following his diet stuff their face and get ripped. You never referred to Paul Jaminet, who again, says calories are the 3rd most important thing in weight loss/maintenance. I don't know why everyone hates on Dr. Kruse - he substantiates all of his blogs with citations and he is more active in his community than any single person on another forum I know of. He's commented on everyone of my posts and personally messaged me, that's more to say for most other community leaders. 

You also didn't refer to Dr. Attia either, who increased his calories to 5000 a day and if anything lost weight. Are you saying he just believes he eats that much and doesn't? Because he quantifies it all. Read his post, he completely decimates the calorie argument and basically says the same thing I'm saying, if your unhealthy or trying to get super shredded, watch calories. He says calories matter but that's a blanket statement and calories have different effects rending them nonsense to measure because you can eat more calories and still lose weight if you have properly functioning hormones. Again, look up UCP 1 and 3, or any of the Glucose Transporters and tell me calories matter. I don't just take the word of some blogger, I read through their citations. That's what I'm doing with Dr. Kruse and most of his stuff is spot on, I just take everything with a grain of salt. Ultimately, I don't care if you do or don't believe that cals in vs. cals out is the way to go, because I've proven to myself not only with research, but by trying to gain weight by eating more and not gaining any weight, that calories don't matter. Toxins, nutrients, allergens, those are the things to track. Calories (for me) are a waste of time - and again, I weigh most of my food and more days than not I track my calories. I'm also reading a lot of what Ray Peat writes and he kind of follows the same ideas, many who track calories on a Peat style diet are trying to 'fix their metabolism' or their thyroid. Many others don't.

• Dude, it's his attitude that is annoying, not necessarily the information (though I don't agree with it). And what 16 year old ISN'T plagued by ego issues? chill the fuck out.

There is more than a bit of irony, you have to admit, that when complaining about a person's maturity and attitude to begin with "dude" and end with "chill the fuck out".  Just sayin!

• It's interesting how the thread had devolved into another calories in / calories out debate!  I don't know that we'll ever resolve that one.  I have to admit, my own thinking goes back and forth on that one.  I used to use the tag line "calories in = calories out is doing math when your body is doing calculus" but decided that even didn't capture how I feel when "I don't really know for sure" is probably more truthful.  I find that on forums like this I value folks relating their own experiences and n=1 experiments far above what amounts to preaching about one belief system or another.  I see statements made in the posts above starting with "doesn't" "you will" and other statements of facts like this is all settled and the truth is that it is far from it.  I think we'd be better served by remembering that.

But back to the original subject, I did want to note:

One thing I think anyone who listened to the early podcasts could attest, especially the first few where Armi did all the interviews himself, that you could tell he spent a great deal of time prepping for them, knew the subject matter (had obviously read the works of the guest) and asked intelligent and engaging questions.  I have to say that the tone of the interviews have gone from what originally was a very scholarly sort of interview to sounding more and more like infomercials.  All too often I hear Dave saying "yeah that's really cool" or something similar rather than asking probing questions of the guest - have them tell us what makes them believe that (whatever product they are trying to sell) is the coolest thing ever!  I think that it is fair to say that the quality of the interviews has not been as good in the earlier podcasts.
  • edited June 2013

There is more than a bit of irony, you have to admit, that when complaining about a person's maturity and attitude to begin with "dude" and end with "chill the fuck out".  Just sayin!

Yup. My attitude will take a little while to get used to. Never said I wasn't plagued with ego issues.

• Kureaa: that is exactly whay I said in my post as well. Calories matter but arent the whole picture.

Well, no.  What you said wasn't even close to "exactly" what I said.  It was almost the complete opposite :-|

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file