Jasont's Personal Biohacking Journey
Rather than continuing to start multiple threads, I figured I would keep it all in one thread here.
This would be my online journal for my progress in my own personal transformation via biohacking!
I was morbidly obese until the age of 18 when I lost 70lbs in 5 months using the Atkins diet. It was a success and a failure at the same time. I started at 270lbs, 5'11 and finished around 200lbs 5'11. The problem was, I turned into a bit of a "skinny fat" type person, with lots of inflammation in my body. I continued to starve myself down to about 170lbs but still has a noticeable belly and scarce amounts of muscle on my body.
At this point I began to start working out, around the age of 18 to build up some muscle. This is when I started yo-yoing where I would go up 20 - 40lbs then drop back down, etc.... I did this for years. I used all kinds of workout supplements and drugs to try and get the body that I wanted, but always had to abort because of the side effects I was experiencing.
About 1 year ago, I did the HCG diet created by Dr.Simeons but popularized by Kevin Trudeau. And I lost about 35lbs and have kept my weight stable since then. At around 195lbs is where I sit, and it seems to be like a sticking point. Rarely do I go above it, or below it. It's like some people call my "weight set point" even though this concept is not widely agreed upon.
I have been working out with resistance training on and off since 2005, close to 8 years, and haven't progressed as much as I wanted to because I was always getting back injuries or knee injuries, and most recently shoulders. At times the injuries were bad enough to keep me out of the gym for 6 months and the longest being 1 year.
I have had a great last year in terms of putting on muscle while keeping my body fat stable or slightly reducing by doing intermittent fasting in the form popularized by Martin Berkhan.
Currently I have found an effective workout program called Hypertrophy MAX which is providing me with exceptional results and combining it with intermittent fasting. However, in the past 2 weeks I have now begun doing BP IF instead. I was unable to do it prior because I did not have access to the right ingredients. But I recently ordered 5lbs of regular BP coffee and 5lbs of decaf and vacuum sealed them into amounts that would last me a week. The reason I need the decaf is that after years of supplement use including ephedrine, I am extremely sensitive to caffeine, so I need to cut my regular coffee with decaf otherwise I will get the common caffeine symptoms.
I am so far feeling great and thinking a bit more clearly so far. But I know I have a ways to go.
Goals / Health Challenges I want to overcome
- I am unable to get a restful sleep at night, because my mind is unwilling to calm down at night, but in the morning I am exhausted. I have recently done a cortisol test (4 points) and am awaiting the results as well as an allergy test
- I have dry skin on my scalp lasting for at least 10 years now and have experimented with several things and unable to clear it up. I believe it's digestion related because I have self diagnosed IBS
- My bathroom patterns are not consistent, and I often have cycles where I don't "go" for 2-3 days and then 3 times in one day. Everything seems normal when it passes, it just seems to build up until there is no more room and then I will have several trips to the bathroom in 1-2 days. Sometimes I get into a rhythm of once per day, but it is easily disrupted and I haven't figured out why yet. I hope my allergy test will give me some answers, I am awaiting the results.
- Chronic back pain and joint achiness are something I suffer from, probably due to inflammation. I did a lot of low calories and low carb diets which I believe stressed the hell out of my adrenal glands and left me unable to produce sufficient anti-inflammatory compounds. But I am getting better !!!!
- Mental fogginess. I believe this is mostly sleep related, so I am going to try and address sleep first and hopefully this will be taken care of as a byproduct.
- Low sex drive. Probably due to high cortisol levels and lack of sleep (I am only 26 years) and my total testosterone levels are normal according to my blood test.
- Belching and bloating. This one is very annoying. I never experience heart burn, but after meals I often have bloating and increased heart rate, and then after a substantial amount of belching the symptoms go away. When the bloating is really bad, I can experience heart palpitations which I have been told can happen when gas puts pressure on the vagus nerve. Once I belch, the palpitations stop.
- Anxiety. I have more anxiety that I would like to have, and it is stopping me from taking action in life towards wealth hacking. I think this may be due to poor digestion leading to lack of neurotransmitters (seritonin) to be created and transported to the brain and an overproduction of cortisol.
- Body fat and muscle mass - My goal is 185lbs at 10% body fat, my current stats will be posted tomorrow after my DEXA scan.
Here is what I am doing so far to tackle my goals. And my reasoning behind it. You may disagree, but these are my reasons
- Bulletproof coffee with 1 - 1.5 tbsp of MCT oil and local 95% grass fed raw unpasteurized butter.
- Phosphatidylserine @ 600mg (split into 2 dosages). Once after my workout and once before bed to help with cortisol levels. This dosage has been used safely in research studies.
- Vitamin C @ 2g daily - I ordered some non-GMO vitamin C powder that I have begun taking post workout.
- Hypertrophy MAX - this is the workout program I am currently following with great results, but higher than wanted cortisol levels. This is a compromise I am willing to make at this time because of the results. However I believe the supplements will help control the cortisol
- BP diet - I am getting better and better at eating Bullet Proof, but I am not yet perfect.
- emwave2 - Just got this a few days ago and starting to use it daily.
- Massages - I attend a student clinic 1-2 times a week for 1 hour massage sessions. This helps reduce stress and stimulates the immune system.
- D-Aspartic Acid - Only 1 study done on humans, but it showed to be able to boost total testosterone levels around 30% in 12 days. I want this for helping combat the cortisol response and any possible benefits it may have on energy and resistance training recovery.
- Brain Octane and Upgraded Collagen - These 2 are on their way, but on backorder. So I hope they can aid in brain function and joint recovery as well as possibly helping with my loose skin that I experienced from my massive weight loss.
- Staying away from foods on my allergy test. Once I get the results for my allergy test, I will be steering clear of anything that it says I should avoid, even if it is bullet proof.
So that's what I am doing right now, and when I have the financial resources to add more things, then I can do that as well. But I am really not super interested in being one of those people who has to blend up a cocktail of 15 ingredients every morning. I used to do that and I hated every second of it. So the fewer supplements I can take the better. But I hope to add Upgraded Glutathione in the future.
I will continue to improve my diet and stay as far green as I can on the BP diet and report my results as I go. I look forward to sharing this journey with the BP community!