Hello fellow Bulletproofers!
My name is Alex, a New Zealander living in Sydney Australia. In less than 14 weeks I'll be standing on stage at the Australian National NATURAL (Drug Free) Bodybuilding Champs.
So without going into too much detail, I'm looking at the most Bulletproof way to get into stage condition (5% bodyfat).
A bit about myself.
I'm 25, 100kgs (220lb), Male, currently sitting at about 9% bodyfat (full 6 pack, with definition in the obliques, a distint split in the gastroc (calf muscle), separation in the 3 heads of my delts, and some fait quad and hamstring cuts showing).
Diet wise - I've been following BP principals for about 3 months now. Before that I was following Kiefers 'Carb-Backloading' diet. This diet worked really well for me, I put on good size in the offseason, and used it to win my first competition last year. The more I've learnt about diet/health/nutrition the more strict I have become.
SO, I think I have a pretty good gasp of the diet and how to structure it (I'm a full time personal trainer, and I live and breath this stuff, I simply can't get enough of it!), but I'd appreciate any suggestions/tweaks etc.
To get as lean as possible (naturally! I compete in a drug free federation), to maintain or even gain muscle, and to do it in the healthiest way
Heres my current diet plan:
Awake - 6am.
Warm water with lemon juice, L-carnitine and Himalayan salt
1T of Whey (WPC) with 1T of MCT oil. (see notes - will bring in coffee in a few weeks)
6-9am work - Personal training - so moving around, lifting weights etc
1030am - Warm Water with 1T of apple cider vinegar
11amish - Meal 1 (High Fat, High Pro, ULC)
Typical meal : 300g scotch fillet steak (grassfed), 2 rashers of nitrate free, free range bacon, 7 pastured eggs, 1T coconut oil, 50g og grassfed butter, some steamed green vegie (brocoli, spinach, zucchini, green pepper - I try and buy organic when possible), 1/4 of avocado and a tablespoon of sauerkraut
Daily Supps with fatty meal:
Vit D3 6000 IU (in line with blood work)
Vit C (3-7g daily)
2x desiccated liver caps
500mg Krill Oil
3g Of wild Fish Oil
1t of cod liver oil
1x Probiotic Capsule (taken later on an empty stomach)
12-1pm - Nap
3pm -430pm - Training
Pre training - 1T MCT oil, some caffeine (see notes), 1T of WPC, occasionally a B complex
Training is a std Bodybuilder session (split routine, 10 reps, 60sec rest etc)
20min Post training - Shake consisting of:
40g WPC, 10g Collagen, 20g Creatine, 20g Casein Hyrdoslate, L-Glutamine (currently out of), 10g Leucine, 400mg of Chromium, 1/8 of a t of cinnamon
Carbs - (see notes for further info) on a Carb Included day - 60g of Glucose powder
80min post training - Another shake as above, but with 2x Egg Yolks (on occasion)
Evening Meal: Generally leaner meat - so High PRO, Med Fat, Carbs are dependant if its a carb day or ULC
Eg - 400-500g of Kangaroo Mince (Wild)
w/ 20g of butter, salt and some salsa or tomato paste
Carbs - dependant on day, but if carbs are too be consumed it involves Jasmine rice or Red Sweet Potato
Pre Bed - Sometimes 2x squares of Lindt 80% Dark Choc
1x melatonin, Zinc, Potassium, Magnesium
Bed - 1030pm
A few notes:
- until about 11-12 weeks out I'm trying to keep my caffeine intake very low. So all i take daily is a green tea extract tablet. With time I'll introduce extra caffeine pre-workouts, and I'll start taking coffee - either BP or organic australian coffee in the morning and throughout the day.
- I used to drink about 8L of RAW milk a week, but have cut this out for the contest prep. Two reasons, 1) to minimise water retention under the skin, 2) to see if I notice any health effects. I also used to eat cottage cheese in the evening but this has stopped also. However I still consume Whey Protein and butter (can easily switch to ghee?)
- I've always had a lot of back acne, I put it down to alot of training, and always 'feeling the heat' (i'll be sweating in a tee and shorts and others will be rugged up in sweaters!). But the more I learn about nutrition, the more I'm starting to think its a gut problem?
- Carbs. So I follow Kiefers Carb Backloading diet for nutrition timing. Carbs come in during the evening for the next days training. I will slowly start to drop carbs out (ie, only take in carbs mid week in the form of 2x shakes, and 1x big refeed on the weekend) as I get closer to the comp
- Sauerkraut - keep or remove?
- Tomatoes - Keep or remove?
- Whey Protein? continue or go completely diary free (ghee over butter?)
So what do you think? What would you change? Has anyone used BP methods to diet down for a Bodybuilding comp?
To See what you're working with check out the photo, or go to my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AlexFergusPT
Head coach & Trainer at AFCoaching.com.au - Optimising Health & Performance