Bulletproof Bodybuilder

Hello fellow Bulletproofers!

My name is Alex, a New Zealander living in Sydney Australia. In less than 14 weeks I'll be standing on stage at the Australian National NATURAL (Drug Free) Bodybuilding Champs.

So without going into too much detail, I'm looking at the most Bulletproof way to get into stage condition (5% bodyfat).

A bit about myself.

I'm 25, 100kgs (220lb), Male, currently sitting at about 9% bodyfat (full 6 pack, with definition in the obliques, a distint split in the gastroc (calf muscle), separation in the 3 heads of my delts, and some fait quad and hamstring cuts showing).

Diet wise - I've been following BP principals for about 3 months now. Before that I was following Kiefers 'Carb-Backloading' diet. This diet worked really well for me, I put on good size in the offseason, and used it to win my first competition last year. The more I've learnt about diet/health/nutrition the more strict I have become. 

SO, I think I have a pretty good gasp of the diet and how to structure it (I'm a full time personal trainer, and I live and breath this stuff, I simply can't get enough of it!), but I'd appreciate any suggestions/tweaks etc. 

My Goal:

To get as lean as possible (naturally! I compete in a drug free federation), to maintain or even gain muscle, and to do it in the healthiest way

Heres my current diet plan:

Awake - 6am. 

Warm water with lemon juice, L-carnitine and Himalayan salt 

1T of Whey (WPC) with 1T of MCT oil. (see notes - will bring in coffee in a few weeks)

6-9am work - Personal training - so moving around, lifting weights etc

1030am - Warm Water with 1T of apple cider vinegar

11amish - Meal 1 (High Fat, High Pro, ULC)

Typical meal : 300g scotch fillet steak (grassfed), 2 rashers of nitrate free, free range bacon, 7 pastured eggs, 1T coconut oil, 50g og grassfed butter, some steamed green vegie (brocoli, spinach, zucchini, green pepper - I try and buy organic when possible), 1/4 of avocado and a tablespoon of sauerkraut  

Daily Supps with fatty meal:

Vit D3 6000 IU (in line with blood work)

Tumeric capsule

Vit A

Vit C (3-7g daily)

2x desiccated liver caps

500mg Krill Oil

3g Of wild Fish Oil

Iodine

Selenium

1t of cod liver oil

K2 tablet

1x Probiotic Capsule (taken later on an empty stomach)

12-1pm  - Nap

3pm -430pm - Training

Pre training - 1T MCT oil, some caffeine (see notes), 1T of WPC, occasionally a B complex

Training is a std Bodybuilder session (split routine, 10 reps, 60sec rest etc)

20min Post training - Shake consisting of:

40g WPC, 10g Collagen, 20g Creatine, 20g Casein Hyrdoslate, L-Glutamine (currently out of), 10g Leucine, 400mg of Chromium, 1/8 of a t of cinnamon

Carbs - (see notes for further info) on a Carb Included day - 60g of Glucose powder

80min post training - Another shake as above, but with 2x Egg Yolks (on occasion)

Evening Meal: Generally leaner meat - so High PRO, Med Fat, Carbs are dependant if its a carb day or ULC

Eg - 400-500g of Kangaroo Mince (Wild)

w/ 20g of butter, salt and some salsa or tomato paste

Carbs - dependant on day, but if carbs are too be consumed it involves Jasmine rice or Red Sweet Potato

Pre Bed  - Sometimes 2x squares of Lindt 80% Dark Choc

1x melatonin, Zinc, Potassium, Magnesium

Bed - 1030pm

A few notes:

- until about 11-12 weeks out I'm trying to keep my caffeine intake very low. So all i take daily is a green tea extract tablet. With time I'll introduce extra caffeine pre-workouts, and I'll start taking coffee - either BP or organic australian coffee in the morning and throughout the day.

- I used to drink about 8L of RAW milk a week, but have cut this out for the contest prep. Two reasons, 1) to minimise water retention under the skin, 2) to see if I notice any health effects. I also used to eat cottage cheese in the evening but this has stopped also. However I still consume Whey Protein and butter (can easily switch to ghee?)

- I've always had a lot of back acne, I put it down to alot of training, and always 'feeling the heat' (i'll be sweating in a tee and shorts and others will be rugged up in sweaters!). But the more I learn about nutrition, the more I'm starting to think its a gut problem?

- Carbs. So I follow Kiefers Carb Backloading diet for nutrition timing. Carbs come in during the evening for the next days training. I will slowly start to drop carbs out (ie, only take in carbs mid week in the form of 2x shakes, and 1x big refeed on the weekend) as I get closer to the comp

Questions:

- Sauerkraut - keep or remove?

- Tomatoes - Keep or remove?

- Whey Protein? continue or go completely diary free (ghee over butter?)

So what do you think? What would you change? Has anyone used BP methods to diet down for a Bodybuilding comp?

To See what you're working with check out the photo, or go to my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AlexFergusPT

Cheers

Alex

Head coach & Trainer at AFCoaching.com.au - Optimising Health & Performance 

Tagged:

Comments

• Bulletproof ModeratorBulletproof Moderator Upgraded Mod Admin

Hey, Alex.  Good stuff!  Welcome to the Bulletproof forms!

• http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2013/05/06/how-to-cut-weight-ufc/

This may be helpful for your last week prior to competing.  It's worked great for weight cutting while remaining functional.

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

your bad ass level went up 10 points with the mention of the kangaroo meat

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

I've used them to cut weight for an MMA fight. Not sure how different that would be from bodybuilding. Losing too much water as mentioned above makes the muscle smaller. I guess you want to lose access water, but not as much as I lose. Once I refeed after weigh-in I look much bigger and fuller.

Personally I don't do diary (except butter) and don't do Tomatoes or Sauerkraut, but the later I want to look into as heard good and bad things.

As for whey, I take some whey concentrate every evening before bed.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

double post

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Firstly, I am not a bodybuilder. I'm just vain as fuck. That being said...

What form of Vitamin A are you taking simultaneously with Cod Liver Oil?

There have been some posts here about Vitamin C interacting with and altering the structure of other supplements when taken together. Like, C turns Iodine into Iodide and deactivates Selenium.

If you suspect you have a gut problem, I can recommend from experience the Glutamine protocol mentioned in suntoucher's supplements and nootropics thread. (If I recall correctly: 80g a day; 10g every two hours - for 7 days)

Ron Swanson's digestion guide is also a great source. 

• your bad ass level went up 10 points with the mention of the kangaroo meat

kangaroo isn't seen as badass at all here, ha. it's sold in virtually every supermarket.

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

kangaroo isn't seen as badass at all here, ha. it's sold in virtually every supermarket.

Haha we come from 2 totally different worlds  ;) in that case feel free to mail me some so i can entertain my friends for about 5 minutes.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• kangaroo isn't seen as badass at all here, ha. it's sold in virtually every supermarket.

well I live in Canada, and it is pretty bad ass here LOL !

• fergienzfergienz Alex Fergus

Oh Wow thanks so much for all the responses guys! Let me go through all of this

edited July 2013

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2013/05/06/how-to-cut-weight-ufc/

This may be helpful for your last week prior to competing.  It's worked great for weight cutting while remaining functional.

Awesome - I'll check it out. Though cutting to a certain weight isn't going to be too much of an issue, in fact I'm not even going to worry about it. Whether i compete in the under 90kgs or over 90kgs doesn't bother me too much at this stage (things may change in time!)

your bad ass level went up 10 points with the mention of the kangaroo meat

Haha thanks, but yea its pretty common here. I love it though, I eat so much of it, and beef mince seems so plain in comparison now!

I've used them to cut weight for an MMA fight. Not sure how different that would be from bodybuilding. Losing too much water as mentioned above makes the muscle smaller. I guess you want to lose access water, but not as much as I lose. Once I refeed after weigh-in I look much bigger and fuller.

Personally I don't do diary (except butter) and don't do Tomatoes or Sauerkraut, but the later I want to look into as heard good and bad things.

As for whey, I take some whey concentrate every evening before bed.

Yea the goal in the final week is to dry out as much as possible, but then fill out the muscles (fill them with glycogen). I already have a plan in place to do this. And I will have 2 trial runs before nationals (I will do a state comp 3 weeks before nationals, and also do a practice 'carb up/dry out' 2 weeks before states)

So what actually is the issue with Tomatoes? I've been having tomato paste in my mince, and I seem to stomach it fine. But is there something else I should be looking out for?

Firstly, I am not a bodybuilder. I'm just vain as fuck. That being said...

What form of Vitamin A are you taking simultaneously with Cod Liver Oil?

There have been some posts here about Vitamin C interacting with and altering the structure of other supplements when taken together. Like, C turns Iodine into Iodide and deactivates Selenium.

If you suspect you have a gut problem, I can recommend from experience the Glutamine protocol mentioned in suntoucher's supplements and nootropics thread. (If I recall correctly: 80g a day; 10g every two hours - for 7 days)

Ron Swanson's digestion guide is also a great source. 

I'm taking THIS Vitamin A. Country Life. Vitamin A as Retinly Palmitate and Cod Liver Oil. 10,000IU.

I'm also taking a teaspoon (5g?) of Melrose Cod Liver oil. Will this be too much Vit A for a day?

Regarding the Vit C interation, could I take Vit C pre bed with the Zinc, Magnesium, Potassium and Melatonin or will there be problems there also?

Awesome I will check out the info on the gut health. I'm waiting for some more Glutamine to arrive, so will try that once it turns up.

Cheers for all the help :)

• Based on what I have read here, I wouldn't take more than 10,000 IU of Retinol in a day. You could supplement with additional A in Beta Carotene if you feel the need.

Vitamin C at bedtime with those supplements sounds like a good idea.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

The issue with tomatoes is that they're in the "nightshade" family (along with potatoes, chillies, eggplants, etc) and they cause inflammation in some people. It's something you'll have to test for yourself. I went without for a while then ate a tomato based meal for dinner one night, the next morning I looked like the Nutty Professor.

Based on what I have read here, I wouldn't take more than 10,000 IU of Retinol in a day. You could supplement with additional A in Beta Carotene if you feel the need.

Vitamin C at bedtime with those supplements sounds like a good idea.

Thanks & Noted :)

The issue with tomatoes is that they're in the "nightshade" family (along with potatoes, chillies, eggplants, etc) and they cause inflammation in some people. It's something you'll have to test for yourself. I went without for a while then ate a tomato based meal for dinner one night, the next morning I looked like the Nutty Professor.

Ok Cool, I'll try that out then. Not to keen on the 'Nutty Professor' Look however haha. But I really want to minimise all inflammation in the body. Hopefully this should allow me to preserve as much muscle as possible, and rid of all excess bodyfat.

Another thought. I tend to store alot of fat on my back (alot being relative here, I am sub 10% BF). My abs are lean year round - full 6 pack with obliques showing etc, but I'll have a 'hands worth' of fat on my lower back (love handles).

Is this just genetics? Or could it be related to stress/inflammation etc.

• That was a cool read, I'm not a bodybuilder although I love hitting the gym and building up some strength and putting on a bit of muscle. 

I've heard from a number of sources that Creatine is quite well known for causing acne. I will be honest in that I haven't looked into the research of this though so treat it as an urban legend until you can confirm it for yourself. 

Have you tried tracking your acne in accordance to your diet changes and stress levels? Perhaps go without the chocolate for a bit and see, or compare your acne 10 weeks out with 1 week out, etc to see if it's stress related. If you ever take 1-2 weeks off training, check your acne levels there again.

Personally I've always used broscience to associate my back acne with sweat and have found that always showering before bed and keeping my bed sheets/pillows clean as possible helps to some extent - this is especially true if you are working at the gym, then taking a nap mid day, then working at the gym, then sleeping again. Also always showering immediately after a workout rather than being lazy and driving home to take a nice bath instead of getting stared at by naked old men in the showers at gym.

• HazakinsHazakins Graveyard shift putting me in the Grave!

Never had any Acne problems from Creatine (I take about 20g pre workout). eliminating dairy is what really helped me.

Showering right after the workout as well.

As I have gotten older (29, married with kids) the less I care about people seeing me in the shower. As a overweight teen I would have never been seen in a public shower.

Trying to get a grasp on Ketosis? Watch this!

That was a cool read, I'm not a bodybuilder although I love hitting the gym and building up some strength and putting on a bit of muscle. 

I've heard from a number of sources that Creatine is quite well known for causing acne. I will be honest in that I haven't looked into the research of this though so treat it as an urban legend until you can confirm it for yourself. 

Have you tried tracking your acne in accordance to your diet changes and stress levels? Perhaps go without the chocolate for a bit and see, or compare your acne 10 weeks out with 1 week out, etc to see if it's stress related. If you ever take 1-2 weeks off training, check your acne levels there again.

Personally I've always used broscience to associate my back acne with sweat and have found that always showering before bed and keeping my bed sheets/pillows clean as possible helps to some extent - this is especially true if you are working at the gym, then taking a nap mid day, then working at the gym, then sleeping again. Also always showering immediately after a workout rather than being lazy and driving home to take a nice bath instead of getting stared at by naked old men in the showers at gym.

I'm glad you enjoyed it :) I love lifting, and I have a strong competitive side, I think really its just that I need to be 'different'. Combine that with my desire to be as healthy and happy as possible and you have the end result - a Bulletproof bodybuilder!

I've cycled creatine over the years and usually stop it all together when I go on holidays (2 weeks etc), but I've never noticed any changes with the acne. its not bad, Like most people would even laugh if I told them I have a acne problem. 

Also another thing that i forgot to mention, I have bouts of tinea. Once again I thought it was just from the gym (which it probably is, as I see it frequently with gym goers). But it does spread, and sometimes it flairs up really bad. So i figured there must be something 'not 100%' in the gut. But I'm still new to this field.

Yup I shower after training at the gym. Sometimes I shower 3-4x a day (especially over summer... I walk to work, build up a sweat, shower, train, shower, train clients, shower, bed haha). But I'll try changing my sheets more frequently :)

Cheers

Never had any Acne problems from Creatine (I take about 20g pre workout). eliminating dairy is what really helped me.

Showering right after the workout as well.

As I have gotten older (29, married with kids) the less I care about people seeing me in the shower. As a overweight teen I would have never been seen in a public shower.

Awesome, I'll see how it goes eliminating the diary. 

Do you still use Whey Protein? 

I used to have Whey, Cottage Cheese, Butter, And raw milk daily. Now I'm just taking Whey and Butter

Should I ditch these? Maybe switch to Ghee over Butter?

Another thought. I tend to store alot of fat on my back (alot being relative here, I am sub 10% BF). My abs are lean year round - full 6 pack with obliques showing etc, but I'll have a 'hands worth' of fat on my lower back (love handles).

Is this just genetics? Or could it be related to stress/inflammation etc.

=====

I can't remember where but Dave has mentioned love handles and around the neck/chin area puffing up and appearing fat as a sign of inflammation. Although it could be both inflammation and fat!

=====

I can't remember where but Dave has mentioned love handles and around the neck/chin area puffing up and appearing fat as a sign of inflammation. Although it could be both inflammation and fat!

=========

Ok cool cheers. I'll dig around myself.

Does anyone here have any experience with Charles Polliquins 'Bio Signature'

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Education/Biosignature.aspx

http://cleanhealth.com.au/services/biosignature/

• HazakinsHazakins Graveyard shift putting me in the Grave!

I sill use whey isolate and Kerry Gold butter. Acne and mucus has gone down dramatically.

Sometimes I do Raw milk with Kefir grains, but not often.

Trying to get a grasp on Ketosis? Watch this!

• I'm currently cutting fat using the Carb Nite Solution for macro-timing, carb-refeeding every 5th day... and trying to keep to Bulletproof Diet food choices.  The two can work together fairly easily... CBL or CNS for macro-timing on the daily/weekly cycle, and BP for food choices.  Still only on my second cycle of CNS, so can't speak to the results... but CNS is basically a contest-prep diet, as I understand it.  Try just switching your carb re-feedings to every 5th or 4th day, so you maintain the hormonal benefits of CNS... I think any sooner than a feed on the 4th day, and you're basically just doing CBL while skipping a few refeeds, missing the leptin?-spike and thyroid-hormone re-sparking.

• Might want to follow the CNS recommendations for slightly lower fat ratio, though... as opposed to the BP recommendations for fat macros.

• kangaroo isn't seen as badass at all here, ha. it's sold in virtually every supermarket.

So what is it that makes you badass down under?

Haha we come from 2 totally different worlds  ;) in that case feel free to mail me some so i can entertain my friends for about 5 minutes.

=====

http://www.exoticmeatsandmore.com/kangaroo.aspx

We eat kangaroo, crocodile (on pizza is quite popular), emu, and camel too!

So what is it that makes you badass down under?

=====

When everyone's a badass, there are no badasses ;-)

• So what is it that makes you badass down under?

drop bears

• your bad ass level went up 10 points with the mention of the kangaroo meat

My roommate works for a butcher shop here in Canada that is run by an aussie. They always carry kangaroo (as well as crocodile!). Kangaroo burgers are pretty delicious.

Best of all, they carry grass fed beef; which I get at cost ;)