Jasont's Personal Biohacking Journey

Hey all,

Rather than continuing to start multiple threads, I figured I would keep it all in one thread here.

This would be my online journal for my progress in my own personal transformation via biohacking!

HISTORY

I was morbidly obese until the age of 18 when I lost 70lbs in 5 months using the Atkins diet. It was a success and a failure at the same time. I started at 270lbs, 5'11 and finished around 200lbs 5'11. The problem was, I turned into a bit of a "skinny fat" type person, with lots of inflammation in my body. I continued to starve myself down to about 170lbs but still has a noticeable belly and scarce amounts of muscle on my body.

At this point I began to start working out, around the age of 18 to build up some muscle. This is when I started yo-yoing where I would go up 20 - 40lbs then drop back down, etc.... I did this for years. I used all kinds of workout supplements and drugs to try and get the body that I wanted, but always had to abort because of the side effects I was experiencing.

About 1 year ago, I did the HCG diet created by Dr.Simeons but popularized by Kevin Trudeau. And I lost about 35lbs and have kept my weight stable since then. At around 195lbs is where I sit, and it seems to be like a sticking point. Rarely do I go above it, or below it. It's like some people call my "weight set point" even though this concept is not widely agreed upon.

I have been working out with resistance training on and off since 2005, close to 8 years, and haven't progressed as much as I wanted to because I was always getting back injuries or knee injuries, and most recently shoulders. At times the injuries were bad enough to keep me out of the gym for 6 months and the longest being 1 year.

I have had a great last year in terms of putting on muscle while keeping my body fat stable or slightly reducing by doing intermittent fasting in the form popularized by Martin Berkhan.

Current State

Currently I have found an effective workout program called Hypertrophy MAX which is providing me with exceptional results and combining it with intermittent fasting. However, in the past 2 weeks I have now begun doing BP IF instead. I was unable to do it prior because I did not have access to the right ingredients. But I recently ordered 5lbs of regular BP coffee and 5lbs of decaf and vacuum sealed them into amounts that would last me a week. The reason I need the decaf is that after years of supplement use including ephedrine, I am extremely sensitive to caffeine, so I need to cut my regular coffee with decaf otherwise I will get the common caffeine symptoms.

I am so far feeling great and thinking a bit more clearly so far. But I know I have a ways to go.

Goals / Health Challenges I want to overcome

• I am unable to get a restful sleep at night, because my mind is unwilling to calm down at night, but in the morning I am exhausted. I have recently done a cortisol test (4 points) and am awaiting the results as well as an allergy test
  • I have dry skin on my scalp lasting for at least 10 years now and have experimented with several things and unable to clear it up. I believe it's digestion related because I have self diagnosed IBS
  • My bathroom patterns are not consistent, and I often have cycles where I don't "go" for 2-3 days and then 3 times in one day. Everything seems normal when it passes, it just seems to build up until there is no more room and then I will have several trips to the bathroom in 1-2 days. Sometimes I get into a rhythm of once per day, but it is easily disrupted and I haven't figured out why yet. I hope my allergy test will give me some answers, I am awaiting the results.
  • Chronic back pain and joint achiness are something I suffer from, probably due to inflammation. I did a lot of low calories and low carb diets which I believe stressed the hell out of my adrenal glands and left me unable to produce sufficient anti-inflammatory compounds. But I am getting better !!!!
  • Mental fogginess. I believe this is mostly sleep related, so I am going to try and address sleep first and hopefully this will be taken care of as a byproduct.
  • Low sex drive. Probably due to high cortisol levels and lack of sleep (I am only 26 years) and my total testosterone levels are normal according to my blood test.
  • Belching and bloating. This one is very annoying. I never experience heart burn, but after meals I often have bloating and increased heart rate, and then after a substantial amount of belching the symptoms go away. When the bloating is really bad, I can experience heart palpitations which I have been told can happen when gas puts pressure on the vagus nerve. Once I belch, the palpitations stop.
  • Anxiety. I have more anxiety that I would like to have, and it is stopping me from taking action in life towards wealth hacking. I think this may be due to poor digestion leading to lack of neurotransmitters (seritonin) to be created and transported to the brain and an overproduction of cortisol.
  • Body fat and muscle mass - My goal is 185lbs at 10% body fat, my current stats will be posted tomorrow after my DEXA scan.

Action Steps

Here is what I am doing so far to tackle my goals. And my reasoning behind it. You may disagree, but these are my reasons

1. Bulletproof coffee with 1 - 1.5 tbsp of MCT oil and local 95% grass fed raw unpasteurized butter.
  2. Phosphatidylserine @ 600mg (split into 2 dosages). Once after my workout and once before bed to help with cortisol levels. This dosage has been used safely in research studies.
  3. Vitamin C @ 2g daily - I ordered some non-GMO vitamin C powder that I have begun taking post workout.
  4. Hypertrophy MAX - this is the workout program I am currently following with great results, but higher than wanted cortisol levels. This is a compromise I am willing to make at this time because of the results. However I believe the supplements will help control the cortisol
  5. BP diet - I am getting better and better at eating Bullet Proof, but I am not yet perfect.
  6. emwave2 - Just got this a few days ago and starting to use it daily.
  7. Massages - I attend a student clinic 1-2 times a week for 1 hour massage sessions. This helps reduce stress and stimulates the immune system.
  8. D-Aspartic Acid - Only 1 study done on humans, but it showed to be able to boost total testosterone levels around 30% in 12 days. I want this for helping combat the cortisol response and any possible benefits it may have on energy and resistance training recovery.
  9. Brain Octane and Upgraded Collagen - These 2 are on their way, but on backorder. So I hope they can aid in brain function and joint recovery as well as possibly helping with my loose skin that I experienced from my massive weight loss.
  10. Staying away from foods on my allergy test. Once I get the results for my allergy test, I will be steering clear of anything that it says I should avoid, even if it is bullet proof.

So that's what I am doing right now, and when I have the financial resources to add more things, then I can do that as well. But I am really not super interested in being one of those people who has to blend up a cocktail of 15 ingredients every morning. I used to do that and I hated every second of it. So the fewer supplements I can take the better. But I hope to add Upgraded Glutathione in the future.

I will continue to improve my diet and stay as far green as I can on the BP diet and report my results as I go. I look forward to sharing this journey with the BP community!

Comments

• Right on man! Congrats on losing all that weight! As far as cortisol goes, the emwave2 should help. You could also try 40g of dark chocolate a day since that has been shown to help lower cortisol (plus it's not the least enjoyable supplement you can take). I don't have any hard data on this, but since I've started meditating for 20-40 minutes a day, I've been feeling much more relaxed and peaceful. http://www.bulletproofexec.com/podcast-39-hormone-alchemy-why-hard-data-is-hot-how-to-amplify-the-positive-neuro-hormonal-dashboard-with-dr-sara-gottfried-md/ this podcast is really interesting if you haven't heard it before. This lady talks about ways to lower your cortisol. A lot of her information is more oriented for women, but she throws a lot of tips in there for guys too. I would also recommend watching this video http://www.bulletproofexec.com/podcast-39-hormone-alchemy-why-hard-data-is-hot-how-to-amplify-the-positive-neuro-hormonal-dashboard-with-dr-sara-gottfried-md/  it shows you how to raise testosterone and lower cortisol simply by altering your mannerisms.

Keep up the good work! Sounds like you've got everything under control. I look forward to hearing how your progress goes. 

• You sound like you have a gut flora problem which is contributing to a lot of your GI problems. Get a Metametrix Complete GI effects test to work out what is going on and how best to address it. http://www.labtestingdirect.com/test-kits/item/?pid=630

Here's some info on why Gut flora is important

• Right now I am a student preparing for my board exams.

What kind of Nootropics does everyone suggest? I know nothing about the subject but I need a boost. I live in Canada and don't have easy access to Modafinil, but we can order any other Nootropics like Phenylpiracetam, etc....

Please someone help me find a stack that will help me with studying. I am studying Acupuncture and TCM and after that, I will move on to hard sciences.

• I have reduced my dosage of phosphatidylserine to 300mg daily, post workout. No longer taking it near bed time.

Going to be starting a Nootropic stack of 60 mg noopept, about 350 mg aniracetam, and cdp-choline.

Hoping to experience; Enhanced Learning & Memory with increased focus. I found a local supplier, so that is why I chose this stack, he has them ready for me to go. He is giving me a free 10 day supply to test it out!

My diet has been getting more and more bulletproof as the days go on. Just been tweaking my supplements a bit to my personal biology.

Looking forward to this next week.

• Jesus Christ!

Took my first dose of Noopept, Aniracetam and CDP choline two hours ago with my BP coffee.

Right now I feel like my throat, ears and chest are full of fluid, yet there is no fluid. It's dry.....

I panicked and drove to the hospital, running red lights and cutting people off.

Right now I am sitting in the emergency parking lot waiting to see if anything happens. It's a very strange sensation.

I also notice my fascination right now with individual things. Like the shape of tree and the building architecture.

Not sure WTF to make of it.....
  • I think I`m just noticing possible GERD symptoms, because they are coming and going like waves.

Not sure if the dosage I took helped induce the GERD, because the coffee usually is fine.

• J.T.J.T.
    edited July 2013

Allergy Test Results are IN !

The foods that are rated moderate or avoid, are ones that I should avoid.

The biggest culprits are; ALL CHEESE, eggs, milk, gluten, wheat, garlic (surprised at this one), kidney beans, green beans, and brewer's yeast.

Also beef is barely in the moderate zone, so it's something I should reduce my intake of, but I can still have it on occasion.

The results for chicken are still pending. Will be interested to see the results.

Unfortunately this allergy test did not include butter, so I will do probably do the heart rate test regarding this. Hopefully butter is ok for me..... :(

In fact pretty much all cow dairy is off the bloody charts for me. A "moderate sensitivity" is rated about 150 - 500 on the scale for a reference range. Cheese and cow's milk are around 2000, which is literally off the charts. At least, now I know.

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

You'll be fine with Ghee.

No sorcery, just science. 

• You'll be fine with Ghee.

Thanks, I'll grab that next :)

• J.T.J.T.
    edited July 2013

I got the results of my cortisol test this morning.

Untitled.png

The only time it is slightly elevated, is around 1pm, which is a couple hours after I drank my Bulletproof coffee. The test in the AM was prior to drinking my coffee.

The PM test was about 2-3 hours after I did my resistance training routine. And night time was around 12am.

My levels seem normal, and I remember that night my sleep was better than usual, but still far from optimal. It was still a poor night of sleep in my opinion, in which I woke up feeling tired.

So if it's not cortisol, it may be related to my food intolerances.

• Just wanted to report I got my Modafinil order today from an online source.

Should I start at 50mg and work my way up ? I have a slight anxiety about taking this drug, so I want to be safe.

• ... not generally meant to have coffee on days you test for cortisol. That said it looks decent.

• ... not generally meant to have coffee on days you test for cortisol. That said it looks decent.

I understand that. But I wanted to know if my normal routine was causing me excess cortisol. Not a day without my normal things like coffee and exercise. The instructions specifically said to not drink coffee and exercise, but I was more interested in my normal routine causing the issues, for example intermittent fasting.

• Just wanted to report I got my Modafinil order today from an online source.

Should I start at 50mg and work my way up ? I have a slight anxiety about taking this drug, so I want to be safe.

Looks like you managed to find a source to ship to Canada.

I suggest starting with a low dose (50 or 100 mg) and moving up only after you are certain that there are no observable adverse effects. My best experiences have been with 100 mg dose after my morning BP coffee.

• Today was the first day I tried Modafinil.

Here is the timeline.

• Took 50mg of Modafinil at 8:45am
    • 9:45am - An hour later, nothing noticeable (positive or negative)
    • Took another 50mg of Modafinil at 9:45am
    • 10:45am - An hour later, nothing noticeable
    • At this time, all I had consumed was water. No food or BP coffee

Around 12:30pm I started to feel some slight jitters similar to coffee, but I felt alternation of drowsy and energy. Nothing unusual, probably coffee withrawal.

Around 2pm I drank my BP coffee and started to feel a bit jittery right now @ 3pm after the coffee "kicked in".

I noticed slight difference in how I felt, but nothing too spectacular. And the number one thing I wanted to get from Modafinil was wakefulness, which it didn't seem to provide. I may need to increase the dose, but I am anxious to do so.

What do y'all think?

• Around 3:25pm. Tired and drowsy. WTF is going on ?

• Perhaps somebody can explain this for me.

When I drink coffee, GENERALLY my body gets energized but not my mind. Does this mean I have depleted choline? Or some sort of neurotransmitter is depleted?

10 - 15% of the time, coffee gives me a mental kick. (Yes, BP coffee), the other times it does nothing to my mind, only benefits my body.

• J.T.J.T.
    edited July 2013

Today I am trying to convince myself to do 100mg of Modafinil followed 45 minutes later with a cup of Bullet Proof coffee.

I just wish I wasn't so god damn anxious about trying new things! !!! !! Damn you anxiety !

• Update: I did it. I took 100mg about 15 minutes ago. And will probably have my bulletproof coffee about 45 minutes after my Modafinil dosage. Just to gauge how I "feel" before I add more stimulation!!! :)

• 20 minutes later: Feeling a bit anxious (normal for me). These pills that I ordered online might have some ugly fillers in it, because I have had diarrhea for the past 18 hours. Not a constant diarrhea, but my stools have no form to them. And I have a tendency towards gas, bloating and belching, which seems to be irritated by these tablets. Haven't consumed my BPC yet though. Will probably start preparing it in about 10 - 15 minutes. Will keep y'all updated ;)

• 25 minutes after the dosage. Feeling drowsy and tired.... but sense of touch is heightened.

• After an hour later, I felt like it "kicked in" and now (1hr 15m later) I feel drowsy as hell. It seems to be the same with coffee. I alternate between energized and drowsy. Does anyone know why this is ?

• 2hr 15m later. Been having dizzy spells and drowsy spell that come and go. I am not sure if this is normal or not. I still haven't had my coffee because I have been feeling "off". Not sure what to think right now. It's like I experienced 30 minutes of greatness followed by an hour of "I can barely stay awake". Not what I expected. Maybe 100mg is too much for me, and same with 50mg. Maybe my sweet spot is like 25mg.... who knows... ?? Not really interested in going higher if a low dose makes me feel crappy like this.
  • J.T.J.T.
    edited July 2013

I just read the following;

Absorption of PROVIGIL tablets is rapid, with peak plasma concentrations occurring at 2-4 hours

So it doesn't even peak for AT LEAST a couple hours. Interesting. I still got a ways to go before it fully kicks in then. Right now, I am riding a wave of energy, then drowsy, then energy, then drowsy. It's annoying as f*ck !

• I just read the following;

So it doesn't even peak for AT LEAST a couple hours. Interesting. I still got a ways to go before it fully kicks in then. Right now, I am riding a wave of energy, then drowsy, then energy, then drowsy. It's annoying as f*ck !

===========

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you changed your eating schedule when you started moda...is that right? 

If that is right, I would recommend that you return to your normal schedule. You don't want to change too many variables at once. 

My recommendation: 

1. Day 1: Skip moda for a day and return to your normal eating schedule. 

2. Day 2: Take 50mg of moda first thing in the morning after waking up and eat according to your past dietary patterns/habits. If moda benefits AND no side effects, stick with this. If no moda benefits, then go to step 3. Note: do not take extra moda on this day if you do not notice benefits, consider it a success that you learned that you don't have side effects at 50mg. 

3. Day 3: Take 100mg moda first thing, stick to regular dietary patterns.

Anyway, that gives you the gist and direction of my approach. You can probably discern my principles and extrapolate from there. =) 

Check out my new site on Revolutionary Cognitive Enhancement! http://www.lostfalco.com/

• J.T.J.T.
    edited July 2013

===========

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you changed your eating schedule when you started moda...is that right? 

If that is right, I would recommend that you return to your normal schedule. You don't want to change too many variables at once. 

My recommendation: 

1. Day 1: Skip moda for a day and return to your normal eating schedule. 

2. Day 2: Take 50mg of moda first thing in the morning after waking up and eat according to your past dietary patterns/habits. If moda benefits AND no side effects, stick with this. If no moda benefits, then go to step 3. Note: do not take extra moda on this day if you do not notice benefits, consider it a success that you learned that you don't have side effects at 50mg. 

3. Day 3: Take 100mg moda first thing, stick to regular dietary patterns.

Anyway, that gives you the gist and direction of my approach. You can probably discern my principles and extrapolate from there. =) 

I am definitely going to do a "wash out" period to make sure all the Modafinil has left my system. It sounds ridiculous, but I think even 100mg or 50mg might be too much for me. I am seriously considering taking 25mg, since I have 100mg tablets. When I took my dose this morning, I still had 35mg left in my system from the day before (due to long half life), and then I took 100mg.

It's very weird because today I felt like absolute shit... periods of drowsiness, nausea, light headedness. Only for the first 30 minutes did I feel "in the zone" and this could have been when my plasma levels were increasing, but before they had peaked. Maybe serum levels around 50mg... at that time.

As time in the day went on, I expected to feel better, but I progressively felt more drowsy. And sitting here at 3:40PM PST, around 7 hours after I took my dose this morning, I feel like I could go take a nap. And that includes having Bullet Proof coffee today! ! ! ! ! !

This should not be the case at all.... Something is back-ass-wards here. And I don't think it's because my dosage is too low because I even had hand tremors from my coffee, so my CNS was nice and stimulated today.

25mg seems like a joke of a dose, but I honestly think 100mg and even 50mg might be too much. Might be a shot in the dark, but worth a try.

• So I had a horrible sleep last night. I was experiencing muscle twitches and restlessness as well as a restless mind.

2 hours had flown by, while I tossed and turned in bed but, it felt like 5 minutes. Around that time, my projected dosage of Modafinil based on the assumption of 15 hour half life would be around 75mg.

So anyways, I am going to be skipping Modafinil for at least 3 days to get the majority of it washed out of my system. And then I might try 25mg with my exact morning routine of BP coffee. then wait 3 hours, do 50mg with BP coffee.

If that doesn't work, wait 3 days and try 75mg with BP coffee and see how that feels. Etc..... I think I jumped in a little too haphazardly. Because I felt very "off" yesterday.

• So I had a horrible sleep last night. I was experiencing muscle twitches and restlessness as well as a restless mind.

2 hours had flown by, while I tossed and turned in bed but, it felt like 5 minutes. Around that time, my projected dosage of Modafinil based on the assumption of 15 hour half life would be around 75mg.

So anyways, I am going to be skipping Modafinil for at least 3 days to get the majority of it washed out of my system. And then I might try 25mg with my exact morning routine of BP coffee. then wait 3 hours, do 50mg with BP coffee.

If that doesn't work, wait 3 days and try 75mg with BP coffee and see how that feels. Etc..... I think I jumped in a little too haphazardly. Because I felt very "off" yesterday.

==============

That sounds good man. Always listen to your body. Take those three days off for sure. Sorry, I didn't have time to read this whole thread...what brand did you get? Prescription? Modalert? Modvigil?

Check out my new site on Revolutionary Cognitive Enhancement! http://www.lostfalco.com/

• I had a similar experience with my first couple of doses. I think you are doing the right thing taking days off between doses. Exercise in the evening may help with sleep.  

• I had a similar experience with my first couple of doses. I think you are doing the right thing taking days off between doses. Exercise in the evening may help with sleep.  

I exercise between 4-6 times per week.

• I have found my sweet spot with the racetams, currently this is my stack.

Alpha-GPC: 200mg (1x a day)

Piracetam: 400mg (3x a day)

Aniracetam: 250mg (3x a day)

Noopept: 15mg (2x a day)

And thus, I have decided to give Modafinil another try. This time starting off with a 25mg, that I just took about 15 minutes ago.

While I got great benefits from the racetams, part of the reason I can't perform at maximal levels is because I am always fatigued. It affects my ability to focus, and I am currently not diagnosed with anything, but I am on the waiting list for a sleep clinic to see if they can figure out why I am always so tired.

Anyways, prior tests with 100mg of Modafinil and 50mg resulted in a strange wave like effect with periods of energy and periods of drowsiness. So this time I am doing 25mg, and I am going to maintain my current routine with BPC in the mornings, etc.... One of the flaws of my previous experiment was discontinuing my BPC or at least delaying it to see if I could "notice anything" aside from the caffeine affects. This may have backfired and possibly been responsible for my drowsiness. Will keep y'all posted ;)

• J.T.J.T.
    edited July 2013

Combination of 25mg (1.5 hours ago) and BP coffee (1 hour ago) and was feeling initially good. Clear mind, etc.

Now I am feeling over-stimulated, almost like I drank too much coffee. I guess I am too sensitive to stimulants to be using Modafinil :(

Edit:

Two hours later, starting to experience the "waves" of energy and drowsiness again. I think I am broken..........

I also think it might be related to my digestive system because whenever I have taken Modafinil I belch a lot. I mean  A LOT.

The Modafinil tends to cause loose stool for me, as well as fullness in the stomach relieved by belching. I don't think it is agreeing with my GUT. Is there anything I can do to help this? I have been taking it on an empty stomach. But maybe taking it with some peppermint oil or ginger would help? I just don't know.......... Kind of depressing.